Trump says expects 'signing' after 'very good' talks with Kim

webfact

Trump says expects 'signing' after 'very good' talks with Kim

2018-06-12T050314Z_1_LYNXMPEE5B0A3_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-USA.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un walk in the Capella Hotel after their working lunch, on Sentosa island in Singapore June 12, 2018. Anthony Wallace/Pool via Reuters

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday a summit meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jung Un had made "a lot of progress" and said the two sides expected to sign an unspecified agreement.

Asked by reporters how the talks were going, Trump said: "A lot of progress - really very positive. I think better than anybody could have expected. Top of the line, very good. We're going now for a signing." He gave no further details.

Trump made the remarks as he and a Kim walked around Singapore's Capella hotel after a working lunch aimed at discussing ways to end the nuclear standoff on the Korean peninsula.

(Reporting by Steve Holland; Editing by Miral Fahmy and Kevin Krolicki)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-12

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's been signed, but we don't yet know what is in it.

I suspect the reason for not saying so was so other world leaders could be briefed on the contents first as the contents of the document(s) were only finalised minutes before the signing.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

They are going to build a Trump hotel and Trump golf course in NK. Ivanka can sell hand bags there too.

Less sanctions against NK.

But NK can only buy American goods...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's modestly important to remember that Kim by all accounts had his half brother assassinated in Malaysia last year via the use of a VX nerve agent. That's the guy whom Trump is making deals with now.

Kind of wonder what kind of precautions the U.S. Secret Service might have had for this Trump-Kim meeting, and similarly will have should a future White House visit for Kim materialize.

But more to the broader point, if something of real value/progress really comes from this -- as opposed to merely a Trump self-glorification escapade -- then I'll give him all the credit he deserves.  Perhaps it takes one dotard/lunatic to understand and deal with a fellow dotard/lunatic.

Meanwhile, it also will be interesting to see what Trump has done here in regards to U.S. protections for Japan and S. Korea, both against N. Korea and China. Does his supposed deal with Kim compromise U.S. protections for those two allies?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's been signed, but we don't yet know what is in it.

mmmm would have been nice to include a comment from the NK man, in fact in diplomatic politeness that would be expected.

But no doubt dl would say 'what for I can speak on everybodys' be half, just watch me'.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I reckon BOTH of them enjoy a good cheeseburger and BOTH of them are paranoid about being poisoned. Sounds like a good basis for true bromance. 

I'm sure if Trump could get away with killing his domestic opponents via artillery shell fire a la Kim style, he'd do it in a heart beat. In that sense, they share the common black heart of dictators.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm sure if Trump could get away with killing his domestic opponents via artillery shell fire a la Kim style, he'd do it in a heart beat. In that sense, they share the common black heart of dictators.

Yes of course. It's not news that "trump" generally gets along better personally with authoritarian dictators than non-white nationalist leaders of western democracies. Very bizarre and very disturbing in an American president. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

mmmm would have been nice to include a comment from the NK man, in fact in diplomatic politeness that would be expected.

But no doubt dl would say 'what for I can speak on everybodys' be half, just watch me'.

I'm sure if you watch N K tv he'll have something to say. I watch western tv, and am frankly not interested in what a tyrant has to say.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Donald Trump and North Korea Kim shook hands for about 13 seconds. This is the beginning of a new era of peace.

And notice too, as the two leaders were shaking hands, the photographers with their cameras were clicking away like crazy. The noise from all those photographers and their cameras is amazing. They know, this is history in the making.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Donald Trump and North Korea Kim shook hands for about 13 seconds. This is the beginning of a new era of peace.

And notice too, as the two leaders were shaking hands, the photographers with their cameras were clicking away like crazy. The noise from all those photographers and their cameras is amazing. They know, this is history in the making.

Love the way trump shakes with his hand in the submissive position when seated . Make no mistake that is not by accident or a weak spine, he does it with Putin as well. 

Edited by InMyShadow