Thais and English: Stop the rote learning, be brave to speak, get better jobs and be happy!

webfact

Thais and English: Stop the rote learning, be brave to speak, get better jobs and be happy!

5PM.jpg

video screenshot

TNA reported that Thais who can speak English and converse with foreigners comfortably have a big advantage in the workplace.

In addition to getting better jobs and more money their life is enhanced by being able to speak English.

The TNA video began with a young man called Thanachart Piamlapthanaboon who has won an award from Cambridge University in the UK.

He gave an articulate speech about learning in which he stated that there should always be a purpose behind your actions.

His efforts at being brave in speaking to foreigners and using reading and movies to enhance his abilities have given him a leg up while other classmates are stuck in the boring rut of rote learning for tests.

The report featured Christopher Wright - also known as Chris Delivery - who runs a succesful language school in Bangkok.

Chris is a native speaker of English who went to Bangkok Patana School, one of the leading British international schools in Bangkok.

He promotes the idea that grammar is only a small part of learning and that children should be encouraged to develop in many different ways using English stimulus from all around them.

Online learning and talking to foreigners are two of the ways. Chris is determined to take children out of formal rote learning and give them real experiences that will make them grow.

University chiefs backed his stance and said that in the job marketplace it was proven that ability at English was prized and valuable leading to better employment prospects, higher salaries and a better social life too.

Source: TNA

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-15

15 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"In addition to getting better jobs and more money their life is enhanced by being able to speak English."

How can they tell? Most bar girls speak better English than Thais with college degrees majoring in English. I've met some of these graduates, and they can't understand or speak any English.

You kind of prove the point. Bar girls make a lot more money than graduates ever could. I couldn't say their job is better though.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Motivation plays a very big role too in all of this and there are two kinds, intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. Students that have intrinsic motivation always fair/do better because they want to learn from within themselves so as to better themselves. However, extrinsic motivation is all too common these days and these students are there because they have to be or because Mum want's them to study this or that, i.e. the motivation comes from outside of the person...throw in a big dose of idleness as well and the effects can readily be seen all around.   

correct...thai students must seek out friends and form groups, and speak English, ''outside the classroom'',they gain confedence..Thai is very ''Nasal ''which produces a distinct sound,thais need to lean to speak English using less nasal...just as westerners must learn to use more nasal to speak thai...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

My missus has always been attracted to 'farangs. Yes, white men. As a child, she would watch Hollywood movies, listen to Britpop and had about a hundred crushes. Because she liked the culture so much, she asked her parents if she could attend English lessons. She did stuff in her free time, asked her teachers what things meant in movies and music, etc. Her English is awesome, but she basically learnt off her own back. You can pretty much learn anything if you really want to. 

Now, with her job and travel and the circles she's in, she can't imagine not being able to speak English. She knows how it opens doors, creates connections and opens the mind. She knows that if she couldn't speak English her life would be very different. Some people say they don't need to know English - they're happy. Great. My missus feels her life wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting if she couldn't speak English. 

As the Korean director of 'Okja' put into his movie, "Try learning English. It opens doors". It was apparently a joke mocking the mindset that English language speakers think they're supreme. Well, it's the world's language. Maybe one day it will be Chinese. But for now it's English. Learn the world's language or don't. Up to you. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking you should not learn it because of something as ridiculous as nationalism. 

similar to my wife, she taught herself english, bought books/cd's to help, she also put herself through university. She manages the main export branch of a company with international business and part of the reason she got the job is because she can converse with all their overseas customers in english plus her background in management and her degree. Her daughter who has just finished her first year at uni studying to be a doctor refuses to use english and will only converse in thai, she understands english very well and used to talk with me often until she started her last year at school before uni, apparently some of the teachers told the students they need to speak thai only. 

• Sad 1

My first job in Thailand was teaching at a well-known Bangkok university. There was a fairly large Thai staff that also taught English to the students. However, there was only about 3-4 professors who could actually carry on a conversation with me.

All the meetings were in Thai as well as breaks and lunch time. Needless to say, the majority of these teachers would not have passed high school English 101.

But yet most of the students passed their English courses with flying colors…

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

i have lived here 20 years,and have never once (not one time) heard thais outside of a school setting ,speaking English in an attempt (in a safe enviorment of classmates) to better themselves. I have on numerous occasions asked '' why don't you and your freinds try "" the answer is always the same ,even their thai parents say '' shy''...in my opinion it is laziness and a lack of motivation..shy is the easy excuse

Of course all the posters here can speak perfect Thai and try daily to improve their ability to speak Thai.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1