At odds with Trump over trade, Canadians say they will avoid U.S. goods: poll

rooster59

I heard the Canadians are going to target trump owned businesses in Canada he will start squealing then lol again as an American my deepest apology to my wonderful neighbor to the north and to the south as well

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, buick said:

as an american, i'd say canada is the best neighbor a country could ever have.  i doubt there is a better border/neighbor relationship in the history of earth.  i'm all for trump and his team in terms of evaluating trading relationships.  however, it is truly insulting to canada to use the 'national security' thing to get around the normal procedures for any trade dispute. 

Thankyou for you kind words. Bought my first Buick 40 years ago this fall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Another observation. 

In my experience, Canadians think A LOT more about the USA than Americans think of Canada. Also, a fairly significant percentage of Canadians do harbor at least mildly resentful feelings about the USA while very few Americans feel negatively about Canada (which makes sense if you're not thinking about it at all).

That imbalance didn't hurt the long history of excellent foreign relations between the two countries, and I really don't think the recent "trump" theatrics are going to foment many Americans to hate on Canada either, even among his fans.

Hopefully this noise will pass just as hopefully "trump" is removed ASAP. 

Spot on. This happens when you live next to an elephant. New Zealanders I know say the same about Austrialia. I'm on the ground back home now. It is hard to find anyone who doesn't want to call Trump on these tariffs. Any politician who called for appeasement would face ruin. It would be like someone in the American Congress siding with Bin Laden after 9/11. Something that should be kept in mind by Trump is that even though trade is a smaller part of the US economy it can take other sectors down with it. Look what the housing crisis did last recession. 

• Like 1

Of course America prefers Russia and North Korea, this is the new Trump order.  We are seeing the start of a declining empire.  How dignified can they be in putting innocent children with fleeing parents refugees in detention camps?  It is a good move for Canada to start making economic alliances with new partners.  A few years ago, Trump was threatening moving to Canada after president Obama well attended inauguration, a prelude to a Canadian wall maybe?... 

Edited by yimlitnoy
  • Thanks 1

I wish Canada all the best.  With that said polls in this age mean nothing and are skewed as election results have proved.

There are no indicators that point towards a declining empire. There are help wanted signs on most businesses and most of my friends are all working overtime our economy is booming. I have a home 75 miles from the Canadian border

and I can tell you the Canadians I talk to are not at all Justin fans. Earlier there was a comment that Us citizens do not give Canada much thought they are correct. Canada will not win a trade war with the USA.

This will all settle and be worked out.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, thaitot said:

I wish Canada all the best.  With that said polls in this age mean nothing and are skewed as election results have proved.

There are no indicators that point towards a declining empire. There are help wanted signs on most businesses and most of my friends are all working overtime our economy is booming. I have a home 75 miles from the Canadian border

and I can tell you the Canadians I talk to are not at all Justin fans. Earlier there was a comment that Us citizens do not give Canada much thought they are correct. Canada will not win a trade war with the USA.

This will all settle and be worked out.

He got the young vote. They vote on looks and like pc people.

22 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Canada is all bark and no bite. Their media their magazines,their stores their groceries etc all US owned.  Canad has no choice but to buy American goods. They are the unofficial 51 state.

Yep, it sure is...in my humble opinion of course... The rest of Canada is like meself, they are going to buy the best quality, or the cheapest ( even if the chit is made in China ) depending on what they want to do with the product they buy. Umm,  okay...I will NEVER knowingly buy or eat ANYTHING from China.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

California has more people than the whole of Canada.

Canada will lose thanks to Fidel's son.

And it imports our electricity and would like to import water as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2018 at 10:28 AM, rooster59 said:

in a country that reveres U.S. popular culture and consumer goods over all others

Must be written by an American? Revere is a bit strong. Suffer would be a better word?

23 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

They are the unofficial 51 state.

Better hope not if there are State hockey championships!

In my experience, Canadians think A LOT more about the USA than Americans think of Canada. Also, a fairly significant percentage of Canadians do harbor at least mildly resentful feelings about the USA while very few Americans feel negatively about Canada (which makes sense if you're not thinking about it at all).

Certainly more widely traveled Canadians have been to the US than vice-versa. Might be different out west with 19 year-old Washingtons travelling to BC for the weekend. If they still do that now? As they'll need a passport to go home on Sunday!  

There are always publicly touted trade tiffs. Usually softwood lumber or dairy (actually to do with growth hormones)  In reality the trade numbers are quite even. Unlike say US/China. Canada doesn't really have a boogeyman to unite people so it won't do any harm! 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2018 at 11:40 AM, lovelomsak said:

Canada is all bark and no bite. Their media their magazines,their stores their groceries etc all US owned.  Canad has no choice but to buy American goods. They are the unofficial 51 state.

I sure they can buy European goods ?. They just pay a little bit more .  Not commodities, but they are talking about citizens here

Edited by Redline

11 minutes ago, JCauto said:

He won the last election and isn't required to call another one for 4 years and 8 months afterwards. 

What is it we're supposed to be pissed off with? This thing, BTW, is the best thing that could have happened to Trudeau. Trump just pulled off another of his amazing feats, uniting a country behind its leader.

Trudeau's approval rating has gone up to 52 percent.

And 70% of Canadians approve of taking a hard line against Trump.

•  

Thank you Donald Trump.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, Juan B Tong said:

Dear Canada,

Thanks for accepting all the antiwar draft dodgers during the Vietnam War.

Please extend the same offer to the 'Never Trump' bunch.

We can get along without your maple syrup, but can we keep Capt, Kirk?

yeah shame on all them draft dodgers who didn't want to go and kill women and children in SE Asia.they should be ashamed..

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2018 at 4:35 PM, Jingthing said:

That reminds me of a personal incident I once had in Montreal. I was at a cute boutique type store with crafty merch and some item caught my eye. I asked a staff guy if it was made in Canada. His reply -- how the f%$W)& should I know? Polite! 

(I think I bought it.)

I'm guessing that happened since I was last there around 25 years ago.     I loved Montreal as I did all of Quebec that I saw.

I'm guessing you must speak French or the shop keeper was one of the exceptions and spoke English or was  willing to speak it I should say.

Montreal will always remain  in the #1 position for best strip clubs until  I happen to  run across something better.

Pity this thread has some supposed Americans saying trash about Canada.

Where is  canuckamuck when his reply about his country would be so meaningful? 

10 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I'm guessing that happened since I was last there around 25 years ago.     I loved Montreal as I did all of Quebec that I saw.

I'm guessing you must speak French or the shop keeper was one of the exceptions and spoke English or was  willing to speak it I should say.

Montreal will always remain  in the #1 position for best strip clubs until  I happen to  run across something better.

Yes, I love Montreal as well. Especially when the USD is strong. It was in a largely French area but still mixed. I forget the exact street but it was a  major one. The clerk definitely spoke English. 

It was just a funny incident. I didn't mean to convey that it meant anything in general about Canada or Canadians, except that the obvious truth that they're not ALL polite any more than all Russians are unfriendly. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 6/16/2018 at 7:02 AM, geriatrickid said:

Rubbish,

Magazines - Most are controlled/published by the two largest Canadian media groups Rogers or Quebecor

Retail- The majority of retailers are small. The large chains are multinational, and to be blunt, Target failed in Canada. Canadian Tire  has expanded.

Groceries- Wrong again. Much as in Thailand, a small number of wealthy families control some of the largest retailers in Canada   Metro, Loblaws, Empire Corp. controls Sobeys & Safeway are all Canadian.

Yes, for a large period of time, Canadians have found it easier and cheaper to purchase  US products. Guess what? Go on.

With the blackmail of NAFTA and the bullying of  the USA, Canada has cut some  supply deals with other countries, like a free trade deal with the EU which has lifted tariffs. It's also dusting off its plan B and plan C to purchase  more basic products such as fruit & vegetables from mexico and Latin America. In return Canada will send its pork, beef and poultry. Canada  has concluded a free trade deal with South Korea. 

This time it is going to be different. There was already a dislike of Trump, and the most recent display of bullying has united Canadians in their dislike of the US government and Trump. When Canada's very conservative politicians are on the same page as  liberals, it's obvious there is a common cause.

Trump was disliked in Canada, but now with his threats, he has forced his sympathizers in Canada to choose between loyalty to their country and support  of a slimy  bully.

It's up to the US electorate to vote him out. Until then they can suffer the cost of  his stupidity, and suffer they will.

Oh yess,....Good one !!! Respect !!! By the way most of my friends here in Europe are boycotting American products as much as possible.!

Edited by off road pat
  • Thanks 1

Canadians please remember -- Americans love Canada.

Our current president does NOT represent us. Sorry about that! It just happened (black swan).

Now some seriously funny humor. 

JUSTIN AND DONALD

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mrmazinkle said:

yeah shame on all them draft dodgers who didn't want to go and kill women and children in SE Asia.they should be ashamed..

Yeah, they should have stayed home like "sore feet" and got daddy to bribe the local enlistment office.

19 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Many a night on Stanley St at Chez Paree.