Why I had to leave the UK for Thailand

rooster59

Why I had to leave the UK for Thailand

By Dan Cheeseman

leave-uk-for-thailand.jpg

If anyone has done the daily commute into London at 630am in winter then you will know it can be very hard work. For me it was one such morning that proved the tipping point, I needed to get out of the UK and change my life.

I never disliked living and working in the UK by the way, in fact it was tremendously rewarding and challenging. I just wanted something different and did not fancy another 30 years of a fairly predictable, mapped out life that I felt living in the UK would have given me.

Many people fail to grasp just how short our lives are and kind of just coast by and let life control them. I wanted to control my life in a more significant way. Leaving the UK and relocating to Thailand was the kind of big life changing move I wanted to make.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/06/15/why-i-had-to-leave-the-uk-for-thailand/

DAN ABOUT THAILAND

Weekly Vlogs and Blogs from in and around Thailand

• Like 2

God bless you. I'd shoot myself if I had to teach english period, let alone, here. I can't even imagine what it must be like for someone from a developed country coming here to work. Like you keep saying life is short, it's way too short... Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

In fact Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia have the best infrastructure although I agree that Thailand's is the most affordable. That said I moved here because I was already living in Hong Kong and had been in the region for several years and I couldn't stand the thought of going back to what Dan has described, at least not on a full time and permanent basis. I'm getting ready to embark on a 50/50 split of my year, after 16 years here full time I'm now going to summer in the UK and winter in Thailand, hopefully, the best of both worlds.

Was about to say the same. However I disagree somewhat as I reckon that Malaysia isn't more expensive than Thailand, when it come to housing, motoring, non street food, etc.. What keeps me way is the cost of education.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

In fact Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia have the best infrastructure although I agree that Thailand's is the most affordable. That said I moved here because I was already living in Hong Kong and had been in the region for several years and I couldn't stand the thought of going back to what Dan has described, at least not on a full time and permanent basis. I'm getting ready to embark on a 50/50 split of my year, after 16 years here full time I'm now going to summer in the UK and winter in Thailand, hopefully, the best of both worlds.

Good Idea..and good luck.

I done it last year,after 14 years in Thailand,and don't regret it.

I came here for a convention in the year 2000 at the age of 50,..never been here before, loved the place....went back home, sold my house gave up my job and am here ever since.

I debated with myself for about 1 day if I should move here or not.....what made me make up my.mind was remembering what an old lady had said to me one time when I was doing a job for her....."Son" she asked me..."Do you know what you will never hear a person say on their death bed if asked, looking back over your life do they have any regrets....you will never hear them say.. Yes....I regret not having spent more time in the office".     True story.

2 hours ago, Peasandmash said:

God bless you. I'd shoot myself if I had to teach english period, let alone, here. I can't even imagine what it must be like for someone from a developed country coming here to work. Like you keep saying life is short, it's way too short... Cheers!

Life is the longest thing you can do 

Sadly there are a number of folks here who had to leave the U K as  they were  being pursued by the authorities and employers with regards to certain activities, actions etc.

Over the years  a number of English citizens have apperaed at our legal practice offices both here in Thailamd and the U K  requesting  legal advice and help regarding their rapid departures to pastures new from the U K. as well as their about to be  rapid departure from Thailand to pastures new to  evade or avoid contact with the authorites  here in Thailand and subsquently the U K authorities too.

Edited by delphioracle
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peasandmash said:

Great observation Bob; Thai's don't like foreigners on hard times and living on low incomes.

Of course they don't, all they want is our money. I am mainly referring to the authorities here, not the biggest majority of the ordinary Thai people.

Edited by possum1931

2 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

I've never dreamt of spending my last years in Thailand, opposite... If I am residing in South-East Asia, for the last thirty years, this is only for a well planned South of Europe retirement. 

lazygourmet, you wanna say  ...  Spain? That is my target.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 2

Having moved from the uk to Australia in 1996,then to Thailand in 2012,i was contemplating a move to the Philippines a couple of years back after divorce from my Thai wife. I then met a wonderful non bar girl in the town i live in i also have many expat and some Thai friends.

Eventually though the main reason was i could just not go through all the rigmarole of moving countries again,one thing Dan fails to mention in his vlog,it is a big upheaval,and to be honest i surprised myself i actually managed leaving Aus to come here. I certainley do not miss the buisiness i had in Australia,when it got close to christmas i was physically and mentally shot.

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I also left the UK for Thailand after years of coming here and deciding this has the best infrastructure in SEA (if the Philippines had the same infrastructure I'd be there not here). But the one thing I'm VERY grateful I did do is retire at 50 when I could get the visa and I would strongl;y recommend that, if you are not wealthy, do your 'time' in your chosen career first. I see far too many under-50 foreigners on hard times and living on low incomes (which the Thais do not like).

I fully understand the need to 'break-free' but do it with proper research @ 50+.

I waited all the way until I was 28..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'm thinking you haven't been to Spain recently.

It's changed since the 1980s, and not for the better.

agreed.. Went and had a solid look last year, and portugal.. Spain was a no go (barcelona and some of the area to valencia perhaps) I kind of liked the areas to  the west of Lisbon.. However ultimately I was disappointed with the potential, sort of expected more from spain. 

Going to go have a look around the adriatic next time, Croatia, Montenegro, etc.. See if any of that appeals.. I am looking to split my time part of each year, too much asia and I get burnout. I like some European / old world cultural vibes. 

• Like 2