Buying a small car advice

21 hours ago, emgthailand said:

Jazz has this eco mode that reduces power to the engine and the engine shutoff at stoplights that I can't stand, unless it can all be disabled.

I bought a new (white) Honda Jazz in Oct 2015 with the eco mode and it does not do this. I believe it just makes the engine work more economically by reducing the power a tad. Experts will correct me.

Checked out a couple of dealers in Bangkok and went with the one that gave the most "sweeteners". This included all the usual insurance, tinting, leather seats, skirting, etc. About 13 in fact as they do not discount the list price. 

Moved to Bang Saphan Noi but have it serviced in Chumpon as it is easier to get to the dealership. Has 6 monthly services which are around 1500 baht for a minor and 4000 baht for a major. They are very good and friendly here and do keep an eye out for all problems that  may occur.Runs on 91 or 85 fuel which is what I am on at the moment thanks to the price increases. That returns 38 to 40 mpg and that is with the a/c on all the time. Personally I cannot fault this car and would buy the same again.    

Edited by worrab
Rewording
  • Like 1

I have the Mazda 2 and my only significant complaint is seats feel fine when you first get in but after an hour or so they hurt like hell. I drove mine new from BKK to Phuket and it felt like someone shoving a knife in my ribs for most of the trip. Even just around town it cuts off circulation in my legs. I don't use it that often so not a biggie just an FYI. 

• Like 1

Still got the first, Yaris in 2007, then it came with a 1.5 CC,  on the road 100 KM/H it tacks below 2 on the overdrive. The vehicle has 100,000 service on a regular bases. The other half loves it still runs like new I find it has enough power to kill you here.  In over 10 years,  it has never broken down the only thing replaced was the ABS sensor and rear U-joint.  Model today comes I think 1.2 but can? get 1.5.

Prices are pretty much fix here they basically throw in Cash?  one year insurance, tinted windows, mats?

• Like 2

Wife got an aging (2009?) Mazda 2, and she's reluctant to replace it.

Back then, we weren't to excited about Toyota's and Honda's transmissions. More so the Honda Jazz, which had a mind of its own under certain circumstances. The space bit, which was one of Honda's strong points isn't really much different, when it comes down to it. If resale is an issue though, then yes, stick with Toyota and Honda. We've used the car for traveling around Thailand - no real problems, but can feel a bit cramped after a full day's ride (especially if you're a big guy) - but that's pretty much the case with most small cars. One minor annoyance is soundproofing - not the quietest of the lot, I think.

If talking about a new car, check actual delivery times. Sometimes there's a backlog, or high demands - if not hung on this car or another, it may help deciding.

Post sale service was mostly through the dealership we got the car from (Wearnes Mazda Ladprao). Luckily, they were great. No mechanical horror stories, no scams, timely service. So maybe one of the lessons is to shop for a reliable dealership, rather than focus on brand. Toyota and Honda may have a great reputation, family members owning them had choice word for service and maintenance. We're yet to meet such issues. Getting service in more remote parts of Thailand, is again, might be a point in favor of going the Toyota/Honda way, although we never found this a problem. English speaking roadside assistance? Doubt it's effectively on the menu.

Prices aren't negotiable much at dealerships. Some offer a trade-off between extra accessorizing and price tag, but not many. As far as I can tell this changes from dealership to dealership. Always ask, though, you never know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Personally I would say go test drive them all and make your own decision.

Damned near impossible at most dealers, how many posters have said they tried to 'test drive' the vehicle before purchase, no can do in most places.

6 hours ago, peterb17 said:

I was sitting in the Toyota garage for a service and had a look at the Yaris Ativ - looks a lot bigger than the old Yaris -( not a small boot at all)- was most impressed - also Toyota seemed to have upped their safety features- you get some of the new electronics and seven air bags - much better than Honda or Mazda ( although I am a total Mazda fan as they drive well- swapped  my 2 for a CHR Hybrid- which is fantastic)

I just happen to have a price list Yaris Alti - 479,000 to 635,000 .

I don’t go into this colour resale advice - if you planning to own the car for years - why on earth worry. White and silver - so boring. Black metallic can look good. 

Otherwise if you want funky yellow or whatever go for it.  There are many more brightly coloured cars on the road. 

Mazda service was not so good , but so far the Toyota garage seem very professional. 

Not  sure about MG - they are certainly marketing and have scored very well in reliability- but the interiors are truly ghastly and cheap looking . 

Good luck .

Not so concerned about the trunk size, though a little bit bigger is always nice.  I'm guessing I'll have the car for 2-3 years.  What was bad about Mazda service?  Less knowledgeable mechanics?

5 hours ago, TGIR said:

I have  a 2016 Mazda 2 sedan......very nice car, lots of pep with a auto trans that you can flip to manual in the hills.  Great gas mileage.   Only thing is I'm looking for something bigger like a CRV, X-Trail.  However those will cost more, use more gas, cost more to clean etc.  It would be mainly for crash protection......one of the smaller cars would be smushed by all the pick-ups and SUVs around Thailand.   I can't buy until we sell a house......so am holding on for what I think will be a remake of the X-Trail in 2020.  I really love the new CH-R but the wife hates the styling.   Take a look at it, I think it beats everything in its class right now and has many of the newer electronic features.  also for less than 1 million baht you can get it in a Hybrid.  CH-R has some great color combos unlike Honda where it's white/silver/black......ugh.  Same with Toyota....old style, old colors, old interior.....I wonder what they do with all their profits.  Must have been plowing them into the CH-R .  I did look at the Yaris sedan, the ATIV.  Looks pretty good and could compete with the Mazda......Also I think depending on your likes and dislikes the Honda BRV and Mobilio are interesting......would buy a BR-V if there was a little more class in the interior.  Honda City is boooring and B-in law has one that's two or three years old.  Leather interior is definitely not wearing well.....looks really drab.

Someone made a comment about Mazda service. Have you had any problems when taking it in for service.

CHR looks nice but I don't want to spend that much on a car. Sticking to smaller cars for that reason. I don't even bother looking at the entry level as I want the fancy tech, lol. Also parking in BKK is a bitch and <deleted> with everyone parking in reverse?

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Damned near impossible at most dealers, how many posters have said they tried to 'test drive' the vehicle before purchase, no can do in most places.

I test drove a mazda (not the trim level I was looking at but still) and the Toyota guy said if I wanted a test drive, they could organize one. I've driven a Yaris a bunch as a rental but I'd probably do one test drive before buying.

Hi think about the safety aspect a lot of cheaper  car have minimal safety  .Also when your driving  a car like a marsh you are well down the pecking order .You will be almost invisible to other cars and always have to give way etc .Thai drivers only respect bigger cars  ? 

3 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Most places we asked had no problems with that (in Bangkok). One (I think a Toyota dealer) said we'll have to call ahead to set up one. The couple of places that wouldn't offer or dodge we just skipped. Plenty of others to choose from. One Honda dealer sent a girl from the office to accompany us. Half way through, turns out she doesn't have a driver's permit...

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

No idea, but it will perhaps go under my legs if a broadside eh..:stoner:

Don’t be so stupid - oh maybe you have one of those pick ups with the monster wheels . You drive an agricultural vehicle - which were not exactly designed with safety in mind . 

• Like 1

The mazda 2 diesel is the best by far for performance i have 2018 top model cannot fault it with blind spot mirrors and heads up display 6 speed auto with tip tronic i also have it in white with body kit 4 door saloon for me i am very happy

• Like 2

Thailand Rated high for worst roads and carnage......These little cars fall apart eventually because of road conditions here...and accidents...well it's a gamble..Mirage is rated one of the  worse engines ever made, stay away from Ford Fiesta..problems here in Thailand..Best made vehicle is Mazda..quality wise...( Research it ) ...Honda has Trans issues in many older models and parts are expensive...Nissan makes decent cars..had two Almera's..Trucks are Number one and their a reason for that ...Safety in accident, Better fuel economy/Diesel.,Less Bullying on the road. ..Higher resale value, ..Durable and Useful.Etc..

I have a Mazda Bt-50...Biggest and Toughest Truck in Thailand.,,My Girl worked for Largest Insurance company in Thailand...Know their record.

.Unknown.jpeg.8dc0e19854b62ce29d73d69c2f45bd85.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Don’t be so stupid - oh maybe you have one of those pick ups with the monster wheels . You drive an agricultural vehicle - which were not exactly designed with safety in mind . 

Well I have a 4x4 and a civic parked in my drive side by side, so l can see what would happen in a broadside to either...

A question for you. What do you think the outcome would be, if a Jazz for instance, rear ended my 2 ton 4x4 truck at say 30mph, and what do you think if my 2 ton 4x4 truck rear ended a Jazz at 30mph...?

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

I’m living in Pattaya, own a Nissan Almira, 1.2 engine.

This car is very roomy and although the low end torque or power is

not great , once coming to understand that it’s a very good car.

cruise on motorways at 120 plus great mileage, good on hills.

Just don’t expect to do a U turn without good clearance.

But that’s not the cars fault . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Well I have a 4x4 and a civic parked in my drive side by side, so l can see what would happen in a broadside to either...

A question for you. What do you think the outcome would be, if a Jazz for instance, rear ended my 2 ton 4x4 truck at say 30mph, and what do you think if my 2 ton 4x4 truck rear ended a Jazz at 30mph...?

How could you rear end anything ?. Sir Trans is renown for his Driving Finesse and Tonsorial Attributes... P.S , an English  chum just told me the 2 big words.I think we have something in common , you never been Office Tart either, so typing isnt our thing.

12 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

How could you rear end anything ?. Sir Trans is renown for his Driving Finesse and Tonsorial Attributes... P.S , an English  chum just told me the 2 big words.I think we have something in common , you never been Office Tart either, so typing isnt our thing.

Sunbeam, it was a scenario question.....?

I actually was an office tart once, my office title was Technical Clerk....:giggle:

13 hours ago, emgthailand said:

Someone made a comment about Mazda service. Have you had any problems when taking it in for service.

We've had zero problems with service but have only been a couple of times.  After 2 1/2 years we only have 21,000 km on it so I don't take it in more than once a year.   We also have a 2006 Ford Escape here at our condo which we sold when we bought the Mazda......too bad they won't bring the Escape over here anymore, we had four of them.  At any rate we always had good relations with Ford along with Mazda service departments.  I see some questions/comments about MG.  They look good but haven't been out long enough to gauge the quality of either the car or service.  Personally I would hold off for awhile (they really don't have one that gets me excited anyway).  

A note on Honda which doesn't get mentioned much.  We were and are still looking at CRV, BRV and Mobilio......put down 10K on a BRV before they came out and I didn't like it when we saw a real one.   Needless to say we didn't get out 10K back and there wasn't any big push on their part to get us to buy anything......a couple of months ago I went in there browsing (Hua Hin) and some woman started asking me questions about how many time had I been there etc.  I got a really strange vibe and left......kind of a weird, suspicious attitude which really put me off.  

Final note......I shop for cars as a hobby as mentioned before so I feel qualified to judge them against each other.  My (and my wife's) choice right now would be the Nissan X-Trail, probably the Hybrid.  It's 1.3 mil but big enough to not get smushed in a wreck, and not too big like Fortuner, MUX, Pajero etc . Also I believe the X-Trail gets some very good mileage numbers due to a tiny engine.......good enough for the flat driving around most of Thailand.  CRV is a strong choice but yesterday I read they are going to make them even bigger in 2019 and that does it for me.  I didn't like the added inches in 2016 or 2017, forget which year.  It's starting to look like a school bus.  Heads up on the X-Trail though......major body change coming in 2020.   I love the CH-R  but the wife doesn't so it's out for us.  She doesn't like the BRV either......but I would if they would spiff it up a bit.

13 minutes ago, transam said:

My UK friend has one...:thumbsup:

I Googled Sunbeam + motoring and found a car and electric toaster.

I guess you must be using the urban dictionary meaning of Sunbeam - A cheery blonde girl who is more likely to be temperamental and vibrant on every day of the week.

• Haha 1