Storm lashes Phuket

webfact

Storm lashes Phuket

Eakkapop Thongtub

1529219592_1-org.jpg

Heavy rain and strong winds lashed Phuket overnight and continued this morning (June 17). Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: Heavy rain and strong winds lashed Phuket overnight and continued this morning (June 17), bringing down trees and causing blackouts across the island.

Winds gusting more than 16km/h along with minor flash floods across roads have disrupted traffic flow, causing long traffic tailbacks on major arteries, incuding near the Darasamuth Underpass.

The storm followed the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) issuing a warning yesterday cautioning any persons in or near the sea to beware strong wind and waves over the Andaman Sea.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/storm-lashes-phuket-67534.php 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-06-18

Yea a bit more than 16km hour.  Thats like what 10 knots. There have been 4 squalls since saturday that hit 50 knots here in chalong during daylight hours.  And many at 40 plus .Boats dragging anchores as usual.

I would not want to have been a tourist on the tourist boats past few days. I bet they have some pretty good stories .

The sunday yacht race was a good show to watch, one Boat trying to carry full sail in 40 plus knots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phuket storm tears down trees and power poles

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

196942.jpg

“This is the strongest wind he has ever seen.”

Heavy rains and strong wind across Phuket yesterday (June 17) have caused trees and power cables to be torn down across the island.

At about noon, a big banyan tree, aged around 100 years, fell down and blocked Narisorn Road in Phuket Town.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket-storm-tears-down-trees-and-power-poles

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-06-18

4 minutes ago, keeniau96 said:

I have seen much worse when sailing but the one here while driving yesterday around mid-day was the strongest I have seen in Phuket in my 16 years here. 

I agree, Strongest I have seen my 22 years here. Ad we are not finished yet. More to come.  We lost electric twice over last 2 days but the electric guys had back on within an hour both times.  Karon cable tv out twice over last week. First time out almost 24 hours. Right now still out for 36+ hours.  

7 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Yea a bit more than 16km hour.  Thats like what 10 knots. There have been 4 squalls since saturday that hit 50 knots here in chalong during daylight hours.  And many at 40 plus .Boats dragging anchores as usual.

I would not want to have been a tourist on the tourist boats past few days. I bet they have some pretty good stories .

The sunday yacht race was a good show to watch, one Boat trying to carry full sail in 40 plus knots.

Thanks for info, that's more like a light storm, 16 km/h is light wind, at least in my home country...?

19 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I agree, Strongest I have seen my 22 years here. Ad we are not finished yet. More to come.  We lost electric twice over last 2 days but the electric guys had back on within an hour both times.  Karon cable tv out twice over last week. First time out almost 24 hours. Right now still out for 36+ hours.  

This has been the strongest gusty winds in chalong in many years. More than 5 anyway. Short micro bursts of 50 plus knots . .one boat lost his mast sunday night. 4 streight days of this is very unusual weather ,winds hitting 50 knots in the start of tne squalls. I think it blew itself out last night sitting on 40 knots for a long time.