Is there a price you won't pay for an imported off season avocado in Thailand?

Jingthing

Yesterday I paid 85 baht for one medium sized imported avocado.

I think that's the most I've ever paid for one avocado ever.

I regularly buy ones for 80 baht. But never 85.

Those are already outrageous prices but I've always resisted prices over 80.

I've definitely felt I'll never pay 100 (which is the price at some places sometimes).

So, do you have a price resistance point  for one imported off season avocado in Thailand?

We got back about a month ago from the states....

Avocados & artichokes weren't cheap there (but were freshly picked) and we ate a lot of each - great stuff....Even brought back some Holy Guacamole mix - just in case....

But with the 4 of us here I doubt I'll be buying many (as fast as we'd eat them) at that price..  

Are these Haas avocados? 

Edited by pgrahmm

The imported ones are always Haas or similar to Haas.

Yes.

When in season in Thailand (BLISS!) there are lower priced grown in Thailand Haas, similar to Haas, and even cheaper definitely not like Haas (what Americans call Florida type, less fat, more water, less flavor).

I find uses even for the Florida ones but of course Haas (or similar) are popular and premium for a good reason.

I am usually too lazy to make my own guacamole, but Trader Joes has a medium sized container that is slightly spicy for $3.00 and it tastes as good as homemade. It lasts me a few days. There are not many good things about living in the USA, but reasonably priced  Hass avocados are are one of them..

• Like 2

I saw tiny Hass avocados at Big C for 109 baht a few days ago. I thought they were ridiculous when they were 79 baht, but that's way more than I'm willing to pay.... then they went up to 89 baht, 99 baht... The worst part is that you'd often get bad ones for that price - totally brown inside and inedible. I've thrown away a lot of Hass avocados.

No imported avocados for me.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Macro always has imported avocado by the kg, I forgot the price, but it's a  whole lot cheaper than 85  bath/piece. The only problem is, they store them too cold so they are basically unedible. I bought from there a few times but not anymore because 70% of the time it has to go to the trash. Some domestically farmed avocado is available occasionally, but they are also often stored too cold during transport or storage.

• Like 1

what is wrong with the domestic ones. I am not an avocado guru, by any means but i bought some local ones from pattaya makro last week for 33 baht for 2 of them and thought they were good. Did take a couple of days to ripen though. But to answer your question i have paid as much as 95 baht, I think i was at foodland at the time.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

what is wrong with the domestic ones. I am not an avocado guru, by any means but i bought some local ones from pattaya makro last week for 33 baht for 2 of them and thought they were good. Did take a couple of days to ripen though. But to answer your question i have paid as much as 95 baht, I think i was at foodland at the time.

You need to more specific. 

There is nothing wrong with domestic ones per se. Some of them are Haas or Haas like and some of them are the watery low fat non-Haas like ones. 

It's a mainstream POV which I share that the watery low fat ones (non-Haas like) are significantly inferior in flavor (thus they are pretty much always CHEAPER).

I haven't seen any domestic cados of either kind for sale for months now but I don't shop at Makro. 

Edited by Jingthing

Standard price in Tops Sakon Nakhon is 99 Baht. Small & hard as a rock. I have splashed out a couple of times for special occasion but have to buy  4 to ensure get equivalent quantity of 1 or 2.   I don't bother checking the price anymore. Always crap.

On another note, a few years back when I lived in Chiang Mai, avos were plentiful at the road side stalls in the hinterland a short drive away. Guess I was spoilt. Oh, the price was much, much less than 99 baht. Often bought 4 large & got change from 100 bath.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2018 at 9:09 AM, Jingthing said:

So, do you have a price resistance point  for one imported off season avocado in Thailand?

Yeah, I would say that I would never pay over 329 baht for an avocado. That would be a nasty price, and would totally take away the pleasure of taste in comparision to the pain of paying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

Comparing local avocados to Hass avocados is like comparing apples to oranges - they are that different. The only similarity is how they look. That doesn't mean I don't like local avocados, but that's like eating an orange if I feel like a banana.

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You need to more specific. 

There is nothing wrong with domestic ones per se. Some of them are Haas or Haas like and some of them are the watery low fat non-Haas like ones. 

It's a mainstream POV which I share that the watery low fat ones (non-Haas like) are significantly inferior in flavor (thus they are pretty much always CHEAPER).

I haven't seen any domestic cados of either kind for sale for months now but I don't shop at Makro. 

20180627_153236.jpg

4 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

20180627_153236.jpg

Most probably based on size and price not Haas or Haas similar but it would have been more helpful to show a picture of the actual fruit. 

As I've said before there is a season where Haas or Haas similar cados grown in Thailand are sold. They are usually on the small size but priced cheaper than imports and quite delicious.

I hadn't realized there were non-Haas domestic ones sold now. I haven't seen any domestic cados of any kind anywhere for months now, Haas or not. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, rwill said:

You can get Hass from here sent to your home.  650 baht for 3 kilos, around 20 avocados.  That works out to about 30-35 baht per avocado.  They sell other varieties too when they have them, such as Pinkerton.

http://www.doiluangfruits.com/

That would be good for a restaurant. But private people generally don't need 20 cados as once they ripen you only have a little time to eat them. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

That would be good for a restaurant. But private people generally don't need 20 cados as once they ripen you only have a little time to eat them. 

they pack them with different stages of ripeness in a box so they don't all ripen at the same time.  You can also freeze avocados but the texture isn't the same, still good for guacamole though.

• Like 1

Ready made guac is around 130 a tub, so even at 90+baht each, a couple of whole avocados wouldn't even make a decent amount of guac

There's frozen avocado pulp now too, they come in big bags of 1-2kg priced around 300 baht I think.

For me, I would pay up to 95 baht for each avocado from a Supermarket in 2018, anything above 100 baht is psychologically impossible for me.  

On a dish in a restaurant as a salad? maybe up to 300 baht a dish

41 minutes ago, rwill said:

You can get Hass from here sent to your home.  650 baht for 3 kilos, around 20 avocados.  That works out to about 30-35 baht per avocado.  They sell other varieties too when they have them, such as Pinkerton.

They look good, but I couldn't eat that many.

Here in the north (Nan) currently local avocados are sold everywhere at all fresh markets and many people set up a stand in front of their house. I'm currently buying excellent ones at 30 baht per kg. Even the non haas kind is not as watery and quite enjoyable. Everyone's welcome to visit ?

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 10:31 PM, tropo said:

I saw tiny Hass avocados at Big C for 109 baht a few days ago. I thought they were ridiculous when they were 79 baht, but that's way more than I'm willing to pay.... then they went up to 89 baht, 99 baht... The worst part is that you'd often get bad ones for that price - totally brown inside and inedible. I've thrown away a lot of Hass avocados.

No imported avocados for me.

I guess you saw the hass avo's from thailand...they are tiny and in a bag with 3-4 of them together. They can be good but many times picked to early and they will never ripen well or are brown already.

I also won't pay more than 80 for sure, actually we only buy them at the Makro for 59 a piece or not at all. They cost 44 baht in Europe in the supermarket.

Now i only buy them from Makro, from other shops they can be rotting already, had that many times. And the ones from Thailand i don't buy at all, they won't ripen well or you have to be very lucky.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Their site contradicts itself.....Says available in June....

If you try & order it indicates out of stock....

It looks like it was last active in November....

Just came back from Hanoi and brought back three for the equivalent of 77 baht total! They're not quite Hass but still pretty good. Oh and also brought back  1.5 kilos of very good coffee beans for less than 500 baht. The good quality beans are far and away better than the stuff here in Thailand.

And to answer the question, I'd never pay more than 70 baht each. That's just crazy to me.

Edited by phkauf

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

Standard price in Tops Sakon Nakhon is 99 Baht. Small & hard as a rock. I have splashed out a couple of times for special occasion but have to buy  4 to ensure get equivalent quantity of 1 or 2.   I don't bother checking the price anymore. Always crap.

On another note, a few years back when I lived in Chiang Mai, avos were plentiful at the road side stalls in the hinterland a short drive away. Guess I was spoilt. Oh, the price was much, much less than 99 baht. Often bought 4 large & got change from 100 bath.

You can buy 3kg of Thai avocadoes for no more than 100 Baht from the road side in Tak province during the season (which is now). I've also seen avocadoes sold at reasonable prices (like 35-50 Baht per kg) from street vendors on the outskirts of Bangkok.

What the hell happened to the price of avos the last few years.  It wasn't that long ago that a decent Haas avo was

39 baht.  The price has more than doubled in the last 2-3 years.  I refuse to go over 80, which is already a ripoff.

Global demand is one thing. It's way up. Super food healthy fat and trendy too. I don't think Thailand exports cados but Australia and NZ do to many countries. That's where most of the imports are from here though sometimes you see Mexican and USA ones.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app