Girl, 5, dies in locked car left in sun for hours at her school in Khon Kaen

webfact

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I've never left a 5 year old child in a car for a whole day.

You are talking specifics that's BS and not the way I wrote the post!

There are any number of ways I would have turned the clock back if possible!

I'm sure this person is in the same boat.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It is a matter of opinion, of course, but I think you are letting the outcome cloud your judgement of the action. It is a tragic accident, but an accident none the less.

Accident does not fit I am afraid

I would describe the reason for this childs death is a direct result of the teachers negligence

• Like 1

These last years, it has happened too in my country ( France ), at least two times 

both times the person who forgot the child was father ( or mother , don't remember ), so , it's not only in Thailand 

44 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Did your parents as in this case forget you were in there 

Yes.  There were 9 kids in the back.  8 of them piled out and nobody noticed I was still asleep.  8 running, jumping, screaming kids look a lot like 9.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Accident does not fit I am afraid

I would describe the reason for this childs death is a direct result of the teachers negligence

If you forget, you forget. It's more like freak accident/human error.

If the kid had been awake, if the teacher hadn't forgotten, if the kid had woken up later and made a noise to get someone to let her out. Quite a few variables.

It could happen to anyone, so the only real answer is to not let teachers give random lifts to children that are not their own.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Yes.  There were 9 kids in the back.  8 of them piled out and nobody noticed I was still asleep.  8 running, jumping, screaming kids look a lot like 9.

So which parent got the pat on the back or was it a joint effort

2 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

So which parent got the pat on the back or was it a joint effort

You're asking me?  I was asleep. 

Besides, I don't recall what happened when I was 2 years old.  I got the story 3rd hand and many years later.  Part of every family's lore.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If you forget, you forget. It's more like freak accident/human error.

If the kid had been awake, if the teacher hadn't forgotten, if the kid had woken up later and made a noise to get someone to let her out. Quite a few variables.

It could happen to anyone, so the only real answer is to not let teachers give random lifts to children that are not their own.

The teacher is guilty of criminal negligence leading to a death, and I think some meaningful action should be taken against her

Human frailties should not be used as a defence

This is my opinion

• Like 2

No surprise.  Most Thais I know don't have a lot of peripheral awareness, i.e., their brains must be going 100 miles per hour and they simply don't know what is going on around them.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

You're asking me?  I was asleep. 

Besides, I don't recall what happened when I was 2 years old.  I got the story 3rd hand and many years later.  Part of every family's lore.

Who else would I ask as it was your story

Nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean

Just now, oldlakey said:

Who else would I ask as it was your story

Nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean

And you know what I mean...  I was just hoping to derail the Thai Bash-a-Thon for a few posts with a story from my childhood that didn't end tragically. 

Anyone that wants can google the many times kids around the world have died when their parents forgot them in the car, or left them for just a minute and that minute turned into hours.

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I'll repeat what I've said many times, Thais are born minus common sense. Nothing will ever change my opinion.

And yet, so many of them have moved their entire families into mansions built for them by geniuses from overseas.  How do you reconcile that little tidbit?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Same kind of tragedies happen all over the world.  It's not a Thai specific phenomena. 

Well it did not take long, did it. btw, did you forget the usual line ie "if you dont like it here then --- --- -- ---- ----."

• Like 1

Dont they call a register and follow up on any absentees? With everyone having a mobile phone it is so easy to check why a child is not in class.

If they don’t do this, what is to stop kids being kidnapped and no one knowing about it.

It reinforces my belief that education is a for-profit enterprise in Thailand and nothing to do with raising children to be good, knowledgeable adults.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I'll repeat what I've said many times, Thais are born minus common sense. Nothing will ever change my opinion.

I've lived here for 25 years and never once seen any evidence of common sense. It really is remarkable how a race can survive without it. Well, some don't, like this child.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lupatria said:

In this country, brain death often remains undetected for years.

Ah, but how nice the world would be if brain dead zombies were only active members of society in Thailand. Sad to say I've encountered them in many countries.

Hopefully you dissipated some of your pent-up bile with that brain dead post.

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

The thread is about this one particular event as far as I am concerned

What has happened in other parts of the world is just as sad no argument

As for Thaivisa and what is posted here well that is what it is

This particular Thai deserves the bashing

I wouldn't disagree with you there.  But count the posts exclaiming that no Thai they've met in XX years has ever shown a bit of common sense.  Meanwhile, I worked with dozens of amazing Thai people in Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

I wouldn't disagree with you there.  But count the posts exclaiming that no Thai they've met in XX years has ever shown a bit of common sense.  Meanwhile, I worked with dozens of amazing Thai people in Bangkok.

Well what can I say about that apart from well it just can't be correct now can it

That applies to the first part of your post but then you would already know that by your working experience