For those raising/raised children in thailand - School trips

Rc2702

No I elect to keep them home on that day, and the same goes for sports day too. The schools pull enough out of my pocket for these overpriced books. No need to put my children through the torture of being in the sun all day for sports, when the proper conditions are not provided for any sort of comfort during these activities, all jus designed to generate extra earnings generated from all the rental fees they charge the food sellers during the excursion.

Schools here are great at finding ways to generate all sorts of additional cash flows...

3 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

No I elect to keep them home on that day, and the same goes for sports day too. The schools pull enough out of my pocket for these overpriced books. No need to put my children through the torture of being in the sun all day for sports, when the proper conditions are not provided for any sort of comfort during these activities, all jus designed to generate extra earnings generated from all the rental fees they charge the food sellers during the excursion.

Schools here are great at finding ways to generate all sorts of additional cash flows...

Yeah, much better to leave them on the couch all day in the aircon playing Minecraft and eating donuts.  Interesting you mention cash, cash and cash not safety.  If safety really is the issue, you should put the donuts down, get off the couch and take them yourself.

Most schools that use minivans have the school's name on it - I saw one once from a well known international school driving like a complete ahole whilst full of kids - I called the school immediately and got through to the office and told them what was going on.  No idea what happened, suspect nothing.   

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

I take my son on regular trips to zoo's and other places of interest, along with a few of his friends from school. Then he sometimes goes with one of the other parents and their kids, this way you have a smaller group to look after, you know what your teaching them is absolutely correct, they are still gaining social skills and you know they are with a safe driver whom you know personally.

School trips have no benefit, really they are just another way for the school to make money. Remember, a school is a business just like any other..

And in some cases the teachers are not checking if the kids are all there or whether the kids have gone shopping for ice cream etc. Too lazy and no professional ethics.

Edited by scorecard

On 6/20/2018 at 1:04 PM, Kwasaki said:

If it terrifies you why let them go ?

Well that is a good question. I don't want to deprive them of the experience. Touch wood all has been well so far and they don't go that often, once or twice a year.  As I said in my post, all buses have seat belts and drivers regularly drug and alcohol tested, but that doesn't stop them having to be on the road with all the lunatics. What is your strategy? Are you worried?

5 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

Well that is a good question. I don't want to deprive them of the experience. Touch wood all has been well so far and they don't go that often, once or twice a year.  As I said in my post, all buses have seat belts and drivers regularly drug and alcohol tested, but that doesn't stop them having to be on the road with all the lunatics. What is your strategy? Are you worried?

What is my strategy !  Well they are grown up now and ride m/c's & drive cars so not worried at all, they are sensibly and navigate the roads away from the bad drivers like everyone else does.