Difficulty Transferring Money.

I am trying to transfer money from my UK bank acc to my Thai bank acc via Bangkok Banks London branch, they keep

on rejecting it. There is the part where you give the details of Bangkok Banks London branch.

Account name.--------------------Then Sort code xx-xx-xx.   Then the account no xx-xx-xx-xx'

Do I print Bangkok Bank for the Account name, or is it something else? I know this may seem a daft question, but

I cannot think of anything else.

The money from my UK bank always goes back in after Bangkok Bank rejects it.

Thank you.

I've only done this once, and it was a while back, but you have to carefully follow the instructions on the Bangkok Bank website.

Is it BKK Bank or your bank rejecting the transaction? Does the error message give any clues?

They mean swift code NOT sort code 

"Our SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK, the one and only code for every Bangkok Bankbranch throughout Thailand. You should provide this to the overseas bank or person making the funds transfer via SWIFT to your account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand."

• Thanks 2

I can recall a topic relating to transfers done via Bangkok bank in the UK about needing to register with them to do it.

From Bangkok Bank website.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

"Instructions 
Funds Transfer services will be available soon as there has been some changes to our terms and conditions. If you wish to enquire more information, please contact Bangkok Bank, London on 0207-929-4269 or e-mail [email protected]"

Edit: Here is the topic I mentioned.

Edited by ubonjoe

22 minutes ago, poohy said:

"Our SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK, the one and only code for every Bangkok Bankbranch throughout Thailand. You should provide this to the overseas bank or person making the funds transfer via SWIFT to your account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand."

The transfer being discussed is not done via SWIFT. It is done as domestic transfer to the Bangkok Bank branch in London.

See the link I posted.

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've only done this once, and it was a while back, but you have to carefully follow the instructions on the Bangkok Bank website.

Is it BKK Bank or your bank rejecting the transaction? Does the error message give any clues?

It is definitely the Bangkok bank in London that is rejecting the transaction as the money is returned to my UK bank. There is no error message. Robblok just may have the answer.

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

Account name is the name of the account holder in Thailand. So in your case Possum 1931 

maybe the sort code is swift code ? often things go wrong when there is no swift code. 

I will try your first suggestion, but can discount the swift code thing.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The transfer being discussed is not done via SWIFT. It is done as domestic transfer to the Bangkok Bank branch in London.

See the link I posted.

There is no link there Joe.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

See the link I posted.

OK Joe, I see the link.

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

See the link I posted.

Ok noted i am not aufait with this system i presume it must have some benefits ( speed not being one of them in this case)

I always use  simpler method to transfer directly from Uk bank to BKK bank (via swift) missing out UK BKK bank you get TT rate on transfer/conversion  which is favorable 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It is definitely the Bangkok bank in London that is rejecting the transaction as the money is returned to my UK bank. There is no error message. Robblok just may have the answer.

I agree with Rob. The account name required is the name of the account from which you want to transfer the money. The 3 x 2 digit format is typical of a UK bank sort code. This will be the sort code that identifies the bank and branch. The account number is the actual number of that account.

Try that and if still a problem then ring the UK branch.

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I agree with Rob. The account name required is the name of the account from which you want to transfer the money. The 3 x 2 digit format is typical of a UK bank sort code. This will be the sort code that identifies the bank and branch. The account number is the actual number of that account.

Try that and if still a problem then ring the UK branch.

Will do. Thanks.

3 hours ago, poohy said:

Your Sort code (6 digits) should be on your statement, the bottom of your card, or on your Internet Banking page.

Required Information

Clearing" Service Accounts/Details to be filled in Explanation

Sort code

92 00 20 00 (For Pounds Sterling transfers)

For Payee/Beneficiary

First name and surname of the receiving party

Enter the recipient’s first name and surname as shown in the recipient’s Bangkok Bank passbook.

(Payment Reference or
Payment Description)

Ten-digit account number followed by BKKBTHBK

Enter the full 10-digit Bangkok Bank account number, followed by BKKBTHBK (the SWIFT address of Bangkok Bank in Thailand).

(e.g. 1234567890BKKBTHBK)

• Bangkok Bank London receives the funds from your UK bank and transfers them to your account in Thailand in Pound Sterling.
  • The currency is converted from Pound Sterling to Thai Baht at Bangkok Bank, Bangkok, using its daily TT buying rate.
  • After you correctly enter the details, funds will be transferred into the recipient’s Bangkok Bank account in Thailand the next working day after the funds are received by Bangkok Bank in London.
  • Like 2

Hi, as Jip99 and jay1980 already pointed out higher > consider making use of TransferWise.

They use the actual conversion rate (mid between selling/buying) and charge a very modest fee for their service.

On top of that the money will be in your Thai account next day (or day after).

Visit their website, where you can check out immediately how much THB you will receive for your GBP on your bank-account.

https://transferwise.com/

Transfering money is done in a matter of minutes, and for sure you will have it much quicker and at lower cost than using a regular bank transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been trying to get this sorted this week and it's a pain. 

You have to register with the London branch before they will accept/send any funds.

You need to email London and request the application form. This 'original' along with original UK bank statement with UK address (Internet Banking printout not accepted) passport photo or copy of UK driving license.

I took all my completed paperwork to my Bangkok Branch here in Hua Hin to have it witnessed by the manager. He scanned it, countersigned it again and sent it to London through internal email.

Here is a copy of the reply I received:-

We require the original form and certified copies of your documents before we can proceed.

We look forward to receiving the form and the certified copies.

Regards

Customer Service

Bangkok Bank Pcl.

33 St. Mary Axe

London EC3A 8BY

Tel: +44 (0)207 929 4422

Fax: +44 (0)207283 3988

www.bangkokbank.com

I have decided to stick with Transferwise............. so much easier

31 minutes ago, robcar said:

I have been trying to get this sorted this week and it's a pain. 

You have to register with the London branch before they will accept/send any funds.

You need to email London and request the application form. This 'original' along with original UK bank statement with UK address (Internet Banking printout not accepted) passport photo or copy of UK driving license.

I took all my completed paperwork to my Bangkok Branch here in Hua Hin to have it witnessed by the manager. He scanned it, countersigned it again and sent it to London through internal email.

Here is a copy of the reply I received:-

We require the original form and certified copies of your documents before we can proceed.

We look forward to receiving the form and the certified copies.

Regards

Customer Service

Bangkok Bank Pcl.

33 St. Mary Axe

London EC3A 8BY

Tel: +44 (0)207 929 4422

Fax: +44 (0)207283 3988

www.bangkokbank.com

I have decided to stick with Transferwise............. so much easier

Having seen the fees from Bangkok Bank, I think it would be best. Did I read £20 transfer fee and 0.25% of the money when it has arrived in Thailand? That is ridiculous especially when you have accounts with them. I thought Lloyds Bank was bad with a £9.50 charge!! At least my pension comes into my Foreign Currency Deposit Account with just £2 charge in the UK and the usual 0.25% on arrival here. 

Taken from an earlier email 

Currently, we charge GBP15.00 for this service which we will deduct from the proceeds before remitting to an account in Thailand.  We will convert the funds to THB in the UK at our very competitive exchange rate before transferring.  

If you would prefer, we can remit the funds in GBP so that the conversion is done in Thailand, but for this we charge GBP20.00 and there will be an additional charge in Thailand of up to THB500.   

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I can recall a topic relating to transfers done via Bangkok bank in the UK about needing to register with them to do it.

From Bangkok Bank website.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

"Instructions 
Funds Transfer services will be available soon as there has been some changes to our terms and conditions. If you wish to enquire more information, please contact Bangkok Bank, London on 0207-929-4269 or e-mail [email protected]"

Edit: Here is the topic I mentioned.

Thank you Joe...this is very helpful. 

13 hours ago, Capone said:

I replied to you privately. I believe you you are italian like me. But given that I'm color blind I might be mistaken. 

take care let me know if you received it. 

ciao 

Not Italian, Scottish.