Scaring pigeons away from the balcony

moogradod

Does anybody have a working strategy for preventing pigeons entering the terrace/balcony, like installing blinking things maybe, in Switzerland you can buy fake crows but we have asked for some and it seems they are not availiable here.

Edited by moogradod

Put your missus or girlfriend out there to shoo them away. Ratsack might be another option or find yourself a stuffed cat to sit on the chair.

Seriously you can buy a small battery driven device that makes a noise like a cat. About the size of a thick mobile phone. That might do the job; especially combined with a lookalike cat. 

Rubber snakes don't work. I've tried it. The CD's do.

The best thing is tiger urine. If you don't have it try what you do have. You won't smell it but it works.

I had them nesting in a flower pot. I put some in the pot and they don't come anymore.

• Like 1

Pellet gun/ air rifle...pigeons are smarter than plastic owls, Hawks or rubber snakes. Once they have found a roosting spot they won't leave unless it is dangerous to stay where they are. If you are an animal lover you don't have to shoot them but instead just make life unbearable and they will go somewhere else, or shoot them if you want a quicker result lol

• Like 1

In my condo, they seem to prefer balconies where the tenants are away. When they do come to my balcony, I scream loudly and go onto the deck and scream more as they fly away.  It seems to deter them from coming back for a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Put your missus or girlfriend out there to shoo them away. Ratsack might be another option or find yourself a stuffed cat to sit on the chair.

Tried my missus, but she is too beautiful. And stuffed cats are hard to find these days. Maybe I try some drops of the tiger urine I ususally keep in the kitchen....

Seriously, thanks for alle the suggestions, I have actually seen CDs hanging on balconies. Will be a trial and error thing I suppose. And finally the solution must not disturb us either, OK, the CDs may be removed when we are sitting out there.

Edited by moogradod

6 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Tried my missus, but she is too beautiful. And stuffed cats are hard to find these days. Maybe I try some drops of the tiger urine I ususally keep in the kitchen....

Seriously, thanks for alle the suggestions, I have actually seen CDs hanging on balconies. Will be a trial and error thing I suppose. And finally the solution must not disturb us either, OK, the CDs may be removed when we are sitting out there.

I bought that thing in Bangkok, can't quite remember where but I think it was MBK. I doesn't make a loud or offensive noise but enough for the birds to hear it. The soi motorbike taxis boys could probably help with a freshly stuffed cat; providing the price was right.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Have a serious talk with the persons feeding them!

What if they are half the age and happy to give you a 'dig' for questionning their right to fees birds?

I always find it amusing when keyboard warriors exhort others to confront issues face on that could lead to violence.

9 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

What if they are half the age and happy to give you a 'dig' for questionning their right to fees birds?

I always find it amusing when keyboard warriors exhort others to confront issues face on that could lead to violence.

Well, I can tell you that in 99% of the cases were feeding pidgeons is invoved, they are not.

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

What about a few rubber snakes ?

Do not work. They just get wise to it, same as

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

What about a few rubber snakes ?

Just like fake birds, I had a fake kestrel, and after a couple of days, there was a pigeon

sitting on top of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

Not meant to be a flame, but I can't help asking.  "The best thing is tiger urine. If you don't have it" Are you suggesting, assuming, any TV members might have a bottle of Tiger urine just sitting on a shelf waiting for use ???

Tiger Beer is a good substitute.

• Haha 1

I was actually considering this problem yesterday and this is the idea I came up with....

Cover the existing metal circular railings with larger pvc pipes....(the only way I can think to achieve this is to saw/slice the pvc pipe down one side and lever it open wide enough to slip over the metal railing)....this hopefully will "swivel" when Mr. and Mrs. pigeon attempt to land on said railing...you know what I mean? like those loggers that roll the logs downriver with their feet.

Maybe the pigeons might be too light for this to happen....but methinks not.

Pic. attached might work too 555.

IMG_20180624_123419.jpg

• Like 1