Gen Prayut confirms Thailand general election in Feb 2019

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

On his visit to the United Kingdom, Gen Prayut had talks with the Lord of the Ring, Ralph Bakhsi about promoting fables without visa opportunities between the two countries through the so-called Global Thai hub policy and the Thailand article 44 policy, with the Thais as the leading country in massage parlours - UK Business Leadership Council isn't playing a key role in the matter. He also visited a Kindergarten in London and made many little friends.?

23795348_1831058080261281_7153579250244242309_n.jpg

He also recommended Sufficiency Economy to austerity Britian - which will come in useful post Brexit - along with Som Tam another Thai gift to the world.. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Why does he make these grandiose statements when overseas.???

Should he not confirm these types of important missives to the Thai people first??

You are right - except that Prayut's 'confirmations' are words written in water ...

• Like 1

You mean i don't follow your opninions. always when the questions get to hard you fail to debate. That is a sign of weakness I take it as this. You think your so smart but you are not your full of yourself. I never said it was junta VS Thaksin, that is what you make out of it. Its part of it, but its larger than that. I only said I would not mind to see Thaksin wiped out but with his fall the junta would get too powerful. Like it or not PTP is a big player and the junta is going after them.

What the junta is trying to do is to get democratic legitimacy and keeping full control. Everyone knows that why should i write it down all the time I assumed you understood.  

We just agreed upon seeing who was right and all of a sudden you seem to have a change of heart because your not so sure how the PTP will preform. I though I was quite fair in the terms.. they stay the same I am wrong that rice program and Thay Nihom are vote buying tactics. Lose votes.. I am right because Thai Nihom and the MP's defecting show its about buying votes one way or the other with popular policies. Wait for election and dig this up again to see who is right. I hope i remember.

I don’t wish to be impolite but you need to understand the purpose of the Junta’s constitution.It is to weaken and divide political parties except its own proxies.In particular it wishes to destroy the concept of popular democracy and preserve vested interests.

You incidentally seem vague on the distinction between “populist” and “popular” to the point of incoherence.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I don’t wish to be impolite but you need to understand the purpose of the Junta’s constitution.It is to weaken and divide political parties except its own proxies.In particular it wishes to destroy the concept of popular democracy and preserve vested interests.

You incidentally seem vague on the distinction between “populist” and “popular” to the point of incoherence.

Yes that is saying in other words what I have been saying they want to consolidate power. Did you want me to explain how they do that you seem to know already. Just because I don't write exactly what you want to read does not mean I don't know. I wrote that they wanted to keep full control. Did you really want me write how they were going to do that while it was obviously clear. Do i now have to ridicule you and say your not specific enough and ask you how this new constitution does that (you forgot to mention the senators). Just because someone does not mention something does not mean they don't know it. Im sure you knew about the senators. 

Your boring you think your so smart but I think your not. We were talking about the elections and were going to settle who was right by interpreting the results (if and when this election happens) now your back paddling and diverting from what we were discussing. Did you suddenly see that you might be wrong and are trying to get out of looking foolish later on ? Don't worry I probably forget about this thread.

Populist and popular are so close to each other that is hard to often differentiate what one calls populist an other can call popular so I understand you problems as there is no clear fine defined line between them.

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand's prime minister said he was not angry with those who oppose him, adding he came to the UK for the country's sake

....but then again, you really don't need to be mad at anyone if you have the power to throw them into jail for speaking out against you.    You can do that with joy in your heart and a smile on your face!  :whistling:
And adding to that, he needed to get his marching orders from the City of London "for the country's sake".  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Populist and popular are so close to each other that is hard to often differentiate what one calls populist an other can call popular so I understand you problems as there is no clear fine defined line between them.

Oh dear.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Oh dear.

Yes take it of the main track again. Just google a bit and you will see what i mean. Anyway seems your avoiding the main points as usual. Lets not have the bet your obviously to scared and that is why you try to avoid the issue.  Next time we debate in my first language ok ? 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Yes take it of the main track again. Just google a bit and you will see what i mean. Anyway seems your avoiding the main points as usual. Lets not have the bet your obviously to scared and that is why you try to avoid the issue.  Next time we debate in my first language ok ? 

I can assure you I would welcome a debate.Why else would I be on the forum? I'm not sure what you feel the "issue" is that I'm dodging.If it's the performance of PTP at the next election (assuming it's not banned) I think it will do quite well but fall short of previous performance.However the whole election is already tainted given the military imposed constitution on which (so you say) you are an acknowledged expert.Thus I don't need to explain to you its purpose and the interest groups it protects.Well done by the way on understanding there's a Senate which as you know will be dominated by various Junta appointed stooges and goons.Frankly the whole process is illegitimate and the government that emerges will be crippled.Happy Days ahead!

I'd love to debate in your mother tongue but I don't speak double Dutch.

P.S On the popular/populist point you are just plain wrong.There's a huge difference.

• Like 2

555555 fell off my stool laughing and that was before my morning coffee. Sorry but the only way an election will take place in Thailand is when the people decide it's time, and they wont make it public until they have cleared the table locked up those who have betrayed the people and robbed the them of there democratic rights for years. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Oh for sure they are cynical of the current goverment I am too. I just don't think it will be a stitch up. Votes will be counted honestly. The unfair part is that Prayut now campaigns while others cannot. As for defecting MP's from parties that just shows they were never loyal to a party but to their wallet. That also shows why they stayed with a certain party because they got money from it.

Votes will be counted honestly.. with a 250 vote headstart.. 

Its also not only about tempting them with the wallet, something that if the shoe was on the other foot would cause disbarment, banning of party etc, its he fact with the deck stacked this strongly, its the only route to power. Thats not just loyalty to money its recognising this isnt a free election. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Votes will be counted honestly.. with a 250 vote headstart.. 

Its also not only about tempting them with the wallet, something that if the shoe was on the other foot would cause disbarment, banning of party etc, its he fact with the deck stacked this strongly, its the only route to power. Thats not just loyalty to money its recognising this isnt a free election. 

I keep saying - and others do too - that actually, if we are completely sober-minded in our assessment of the current situation in Thailand and the way the junta have stacked all the cards in their own power-base favour - then there is no junta-sanctioned, junta-'legal' way that the Thai people can get their democracy back.

I have been a life-long pacifist. But quite honestly - there is only one realistic way open to the Thai people now. I don't relish it. I am not a fan of blood sports ...

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I can assure you I would welcome a debate.Why else would I be on the forum? I'm not sure what you feel the "issue" is that I'm dodging.If it's the performance of PTP at the next election (assuming it's not banned) I think it will do quite well but fall short of previous performance.However the whole election is already tainted given the military imposed constitution on which (so you say) you are an acknowledged expert.Thus I don't need to explain to you its purpose and the interest groups it protects.Well done by the way on understanding there's a Senate which as you know will be dominated by various Junta appointed stooges and goons.Frankly the whole process is illegitimate and the government that emerges will be crippled.Happy Days ahead!

I'd love to debate in your mother tongue but I don't speak double Dutch.

P.S On the popular/populist point you are just plain wrong.There's a huge difference.

So your saying that the PTP won't even replicate their latest election results. then your way off compared to many of your fellow supporters who see a huge win for the PTP. You attribute it probably to the new voting system (could be). So how could we then objectively find a way that many people switched parties because of populist policies.  We don't have a reference point if we can't use the last election as a measuring point. Maybe the last election recalculated based on the new system (if such a thing is possible)

Good that you like a debate in Dutch but can't speak the langue, then maybe you should respect people who do speak other languages a bit more and cut them some slack once in a while.

On the popular / populist thing what I read is that what some people call populist is called popular by others as populist has a negative mean (a bit). So depending on your viewpoint you could call something a populist policy or a popular policy. That is what I meant and read about. 

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I keep saying - and others do too - that actually, if we are completely sober-minded in our assessment of the current situation in Thailand and the way the junta have stacked all the cards in their own power-base favour - then there is no junta-sanctioned, junta-'legal' way that the Thai people can get their democracy back.

I have been a life-long pacifist. But quite honestly - there is only one realistic way open to the Thai people now. I don't relish it. I am not a fan of blood sports ...

They won't revolt unless there is a good alternative. Nobody will risk their life for the PTP as they know its as crooked and not a real alternative. Now if for instance future forward proves themselves and provides a good alternative that really does change things.

Then yes I can see people revolting if this party were to be treated unfairly. But to think that people would risk their lives to bring back the fat cats of the PTP is laughable, you have a low opinion of the Thais. Last time Thaksin promised to be there when bullets would fly.. he was not.. Do you think they forget such a thing ?

Before people will risk their lives things need to be bad, and there must be a good alternative.. both two need to be present and I doubt its bad enough now and i doubt there is now at this moment a good alternative.

• Like 2

They won't revolt unless there is a good alternative. Nobody will risk their life for the PTP as they know its as crooked and not a real alternative. Now if for instance future forward proves themselves and provides a good alternative that really does change things.

Then yes I can see people revolting if this party were to be treated unfairly. But to think that people would risk their lives to bring back the fat cats of the PTP is laughable, you have a low opinion of the Thais. Last time Thaksin promised to be there when bullets would fly.. he was not.. Do you think they forget such a thing ?

Before people will risk their lives things need to be bad, and there must be a good alternative.. both two need to be present and I doubt its bad enough now and i doubt there is now at this moment a good alternative.

I’m bound to make a point which is often misunderstood by followers of both left and right wing politics.In a nutshell it’s this.Violent and revolutionary upheavals often take place when things are getting better not worse.

Longstanding injustices are often tolerated when for whatever reasons the people are downtrodden and submissive.

But when distinctions between city and countryside become blurred, when there is more money sloshing around, when social media is pervasive, when old rituals and allegiances begin to lose their meaning and force - then in a divided society politics can become deadly.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2018 at 4:54 PM, johnsnapo said:

It's all going to be perfectly fixed, it already is.

I hope so. The last thing we want is someone else to be voted in and the anarchy on the streets to return. Democracy doesn't suit Thailand. What it needs is dictatorship to keep everyone in check.

Edited by Cuba

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, darksidedog said:

So there it is confirmed. Prayut now only has 8 more months in which to rig the election. And we all know that is exactly what he plans on doing.

And we should plan accordingly when it comes to associated political unrest….

Edited by ttrd

Gen Prayut however, had to cut short his meeting with Thai expats due to a terror warning from security officers. The Royal Thai Embassy in London announced the warning affecting Thai people and advised them to exercise caution when returning home.

now is this the UK security officers or Thai security officers? 

Toad "bling watch" of Toad hall will probsbly now say no election in February (even after number 1 has promised so - like so many times before to world leaders) as risk to national security - maybe I'm being sceptical but doubt it