Withdrawing cash from bank with credit card?

sammym

I'm coming on holiday. I used to be able to withdraw 40/50k baht from banks using my credit card. Which saved having to use 2 or more ATM's and there was no fee. I'm flying over next week with my partner and we will need around 200k baht  

Is this still the case? 

Also if the exchange rate set by the bank or the credit card company?

Cheers

Sam 

I have a UK Halifax Clarity Credit card, withdrawals are at the cards exchange rate in my case Mastercard rate with 0% commission. You can go inside and withdraw, most I've done is 100,000 baht. Machine max is usually 30k. ATM may give you an option on taking the ATM exchange rate or your exchange rate

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have a UK Halifax Clarity Credit card, withdrawals are at the cards exchange rate im my case Mastercard rate with 0% commission. You can go inside and withdraw, most I've done is 100,000 baht. Machine max is usually 30k

Exactly the card I want to use. 

I tried last time I was in Thailand for a lower amount (about 20k) and was told to go to the little counter outside. But I've previously had good experiences with higher amounts. 

If there are no fees and I get the Mastercard rate I'll be very happy. 

Cheers

Exactly the card I want to use. 

I tried last time I was in Thailand for a lower amount (about 20k) and was told to go to the little counter outside. But I've previously had good experiences with higher amounts. 

If there are no fees and I get the Mastercard rate I'll be very happy. 

Cheers
Yes Clarity is the best, better than transferring cash. I always withdraw cash inside. Key thing for you is transfer to your Clarity account the same day so you don't pay interest
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes Clarity is the best, better than transferring cash. I always withdraw cash inside. Key thing for you is transfer to your Clarity account the same day so you don't pay interest

Absolutely. I have a halifax current account and will pay it off each day I use it. My partner also has this card as a backup in case one goes down. Halifax no longer let you tell them you are going abroad. Previously I've had no problem with preloading the card with 2/3k GBP when I've had trips. But I've heard this is becoming frowned upon so I'll just pay it off as I use it. 

Absolutely. I have a halifax current account and will pay it off each day I use it. My partner also has this card as a backup in case one goes down. Halifax no longer let you tell them you are going abroad. Previously I've had no problem with preloading the card with 2/3k GBP when I've had trips. But I've heard this is becoming frowned upon so I'll just pay it off as I use it. 
I did a little test the other day, what was best out of Clarity, Transferwise or £ bank transfer to Kasikorn and Clarity was the winner. You'll need to find a friendly bank and branch. Kasikorns max was 20,000 baht last time i used them
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I did a little test the other day, what was best out of Clarity, Transferwise or £ bank transfer to Kasikorn and Clarity was the winner. You'll need to find a friendly bank and branch. Kasikorns max was 20,000 baht last time i used them

I'll try - worst case scenario they say no. And then I'll just pay some ATM fees. I'm certainly not spending my holiday going around desperately trying to find a bank that will play ball so I can save £4/5. 

I'll try - worst case scenario they say no. And then I'll just pay some ATM fees. I'm certainly not spending my holiday going around desperately trying to find a bank that will play ball so I can save £4/5. 
For a short holiday you might as well use an ATM, i think 20,000 is the max circ £500 daily ATM limit

29 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, sammym said:

For a short holiday you might as well use an ATM, i think 20,000 is the max circ £500 daily ATM limit

Oh yes, use an ATM, lose card in machine or the skimmers get the details, what a great idea!

It's not as though they charge you extra inside the bank.

• Like 2

I used my Visa card to get cash from a bank in the past (cash withdrawal from a teller, not ATM machine). Every single time I did it I ended up being charged a Interest Fee for "Cash Advance".

Even the times when I sent a payment to my credit card days in advance, checked that it had been credited to my card and then went to the bank to make a cash withdrawal. Days later I'd check my statement and see that I still got hit with the extra "Cash Advance" interest charge.

That is when I decided to open a Thai bank account instead. Wired money to the account (or had my paycheque wired to the account) and then had no hassles when I was in Thailand.

For just 200k, maybe it would be better to get some traveller's cheques and then cash them in as needed over here ?

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh yes, use an ATM, lose card in machine or the skimmers get the details, what a great idea!

Do you risk getting out of bed? I've used ATMs all over the world for as long as they have existed. However, I am familiar with skimmers and try to use ATMs in safe places at safe times; outside banks during office hours is best. Once, several years ago, an ATM ate my card. I was able to go inside the bank and retrieve it.

Oh, and they do charge extra inside the banks--my valuable time.

Edited by smotherb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The exchange rate is set by Mastercard / Visa

My experience withdrawing cash over the counter:

On 6/1/2018 at 2:22 PM, jackdd said:

My personal experience, of course different branches might have different rules, but you should be able to find one that can do a cash advance for you:

UOB does cash advances for free

Bangkok Bank told me they do them for free, but the machine was broken, so not 100% sure

SCB charges 180THB for a cash advance

Krungsri charges 200 THB for a cash advance

TMB, Goverment Savings and LH Bank don't do cash advance

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I used my Visa card to get cash from a bank in the past (cash withdrawal from a teller, not ATM machine). Every single time I did it I ended up being charged a Interest Fee for "Cash Advance".

Even the times when I sent a payment to my credit card days in advance, checked that it had been credited to my card and then went to the bank to make a cash withdrawal. Days later I'd check my statement and see that I still got hit with the extra "Cash Advance" interest charge.

That is when I decided to open a Thai bank account instead. Wired money to the account (or had my paycheque wired to the account) and then had no hassles when I was in Thailand.

For just 200k, maybe it would be better to get some traveller's cheques and then cash them in as needed over here ?

The banks don't like travellers checks. Last time I used them the banks that still accepted them where charging 150 THB per check. I think more now.

You can't live scared all your life, I've never lost a card in a machine or been skimmed. Banks aren't fans of you going inside as they lose money. For a short holiday i probably wouldn't bother, but if many withdrawals the ATM fees add up, hence why people open a Thai bank account

Withdraw from INSIDE the at a teller or Customer Service rep.

If you have a bank account, AT the bank, it is a easy process to withdraw and deposit to your account

I get a exchange rate that is within $5.00 ( XE Currency ) plus my small hometown bank charge of $5.00. I usually withdraw 20 to 30,000 THB no problems.  I prefer to deposit to my account and use my Th bank debit card at the ATM for cash or for purchases. I have also taken all cash ( THB ) on occasion.

$10.00 TOTAL ( exchange included ) is not that bad on a $800 withdraw or deposit.

Edited by edwardflory
Addl info

42 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The exchange rate is set by Mastercard / Visa

My experience withdrawing cash over the counter:

wrong .  the exchange rate is set by the bank that issued you the card .

they are not all the same .

2 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

wrong .  the exchange rate is set by the bank that issued you the card .

they are not all the same .

In the past i always got the exchange rate according to this, with different cards:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

It can of course be that that's not always the case

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

The banks don't like travellers checks. Last time I used them the banks that still accepted them where charging 150 THB per check. I think more now.

They still do charge 153thb which makes it sensible to bring high

denomination cheques, we bring $500 dollar cheques which means the %charge is very low.

I have a clarity credit card and have tried to use it inside several banks and every time they say they charge a percentage for cash transactions. and after several

years I gave up and I opened a thai bank account. this was in Banks in Pattaya and Udon Thani. 

Like Zoza, i have tried to use my Clarity card inside banks but they have either refused or charged a fee. Possibly a bigger problem when you use banks outside of the big cities and tourist destinations., so gave up trying to find one. As previously said, i find Clarity is usually the cheapest way to get money, even taking the ATM fee into account ( Aeon ATM's have a lower fee).

Travellers cheques - as said, you get stung a big fee for cashing each cheque - PLUS a % deduction and the TT rate. So Clarity still cheaper. I do not use anymore.

Haven't had my card eaten in 8 years, and, of course, try to use only at indoor locations (Udon Thani has an Aeon shop with ATM's inside, my preferred location). Also can get money on demand and quickly.

ATM's outside of bank branches are easy to find and much less likely to have a skimming device attached.

Anyone using random street or convenience store ATM's, especially those just outside major hotels and tourist attractions, is at risk.

21 hours ago, retayl said:

They still do charge 153thb which makes it sensible to bring high

denomination cheques, we bring $500 dollar cheques which means the %charge is very low.

That's good. The largest I could get were $100 so it was a 5% charge.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, smotherb said:

Do you risk getting out of bed? I've used ATMs all over the world for as long as they have existed. However, I am familiar with skimmers and try to use ATMs in safe places at safe times; outside banks during office hours is best. Once, several years ago, an ATM ate my card. I was able to go inside the bank and retrieve it.

Oh, and they do charge extra inside the banks--my valuable time.

My father used a card and the machine kept it, on a Saturday. He got no money. He had to wait till Monday to get the card back. It ruined our very rare time together.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My father used a card and the machine kept it, on a Saturday. He got no money. He had to wait till Monday to get the card back. It ruined our very rare time together.

Ah, that sounds like a personal problem. Too bad you couldn't trust your old man enough to give the money to get through the weekend.

I have two cards and so does my wife, so we would have to lose all four before we were out of money.

Ah, that sounds like a personal problem. Too bad you couldn't trust your old man enough to give the money to get through the weekend.

I have two cards and so does my wife, so we would have to lose all four before we were out of money.
The machines can be confusing so a good idea to supervise those that may be confused
  • Like 1