Bar In Soi Green For Sale

CCC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jens is trying to say that the market is exhuasted with no need for more bars, and there are plenty of sob stories on samuiexpress.

True in some ways.

There are sob stories. But then again, what do you expect if you create the following;

1) land on Ko Samui and within a week buy the first bar you see.

2) Said bar is opposite Central Samui resort, yet you throw in a couple of neon red lights, employ a couple of dozen Isarn munchkins and play 'Im a Barbie Girl' full blast

3) Name the bar 'Pussy Gallore', fly an England flag above the bar with your home city wrote across the front and advertise on a huge chalk board 'cheap piss nice birds'

4) Marry the bar girl you bar fined on day 3, and place the bar in her name

5) Develop a tenadency to cane the hel_l out of Chang, starting as early as 1pm and finishing at 3am.

6) Develop a tenadency to cane the hel_l out of Chang, starting as early as 10am and finishing at 5am.

7) Develop a tenadency to cane the hel_l out of Chang 24/7, with a couple hours sleep every few days.

8) Loose the plot. Abuse and fall out with any ex-pats/long termers who are daft enough to come in your bar. You realise that out of all these years not so much as looking at someone the wrong way, you posses a great right hook. Use it at every given chance.

9) 'Hansum Man' arives in bar, sweeps your Mrs of her feet, she kicks you out of bar, sells the bar to a guy who landed one week agao, and moves to Sweeden with new boyfriend.

10) Write to samuiexpress.net chastising Samui as a horrible place to do business and complain about how you came to Samui, set up a bar, lost a bar and are now broke.

Ok so I am taking the piss a little.... but believe it or not CCC, this is often the case.

I stand by my previous comments;

Spend 6 months on the island - get to know the place, and get palsy with the local ex-pats/long term tourists. Set up a bar in an area with a nice ballance of ex-pats and tourists, spend serious thought on renovation and making the bar look nice, play decent music, employ cheery girls purley as service staff, decent pool table, joing the pool league, show major sporting events and do not, under any circumstances, spend 12 hours a day on the piss. Given these rules, you have a far greater chance of making it work.

Just my 2 satangs worth.... I am no expert (not compared to most bar owners on Samui) but i know a little and anyway, most of it is down to common sense.

Good luck.

Spend 6 months on the island - get to know the place, and get palsy with the local ex-pats/long term tourists. Set up a bar in an area with a nice ballance of ex-pats and tourists, spend serious thought on renovation and making the bar look nice, play decent music, employ cheery girls purley as service staff, decent pool table, joing the pool league, show major sporting events and do not, under any circumstances, spend 12 hours a day on the piss. Given these rules, you have a far greater chance of making it work.

That's sound advice which would be valid just about anywhere.

Why am i living proof of the need for bars? Please explain so we can all understand. I thought my comments were sound. If you disagree, please explain in a way that we can all digest. I find your posts a little confusing sometimes.

Seriously, i ask you to explain why i am the living proof for more bars.

I didnt twist your words.

If you have no more to say on the subject, thats up to you. Do you have anything else to offer CCC as advice, apart from 'too many bars on Samui allready?', or is that it?

I await your explenation. Thank you.

seeinmg as the post "HAS SAMUI gone to the dogs" has closed i can';t post this here

But Kettle please read

this is very interesting indeed

It also have relevance to my mafia comments and why running a business here may be dangerous

http://habby.net/entry/news/kims.php?file=docs/all-fools.txt

There is little truth in that article, it reads like a tabloid newspaper article.

So you've read that and decided you now know exactly how Samui works.

Well done.

Womble - have to agree with you.

Sorry Yabs... Seriously, im at the point now where I am specificly looking for things to agree with you on. But I cant. As Womble says, the way in which the author has wrote this just stinks of a negative, single thinking. When i read stuff like this, I am always left with the impresion that it is the result of a person who had a bad holiday.

It gets worse though.

The footie hooligan story; reads like an ameteur novelist. Check it out.... http://habby.net/entry/news/kims.php?file=docs/hooligan.txt

3 times

why?I could see how years ago before Burger king got there etc and it was discovered by the hordes it would have been really something special but i wouldn't go back now

Don't be so elitist... :D There must be a reason why it's become popular? :bah:

Although I do agree with you (a little), Burger King, McDonalds and KFC aren't exactly my idea of a tropical paradise either :D

Unfortunately, it's the price of progess, and it's impossible to get the balance right between too much and not enough development.. :D

Anyway, this thread is about opening a bar...:o

Not about the state of Koh Samui...That thread was worn out a longtime ago... :D

RAZZ

seeinmg as the post "HAS SAMUI gone to the dogs" has closed i can';t post this here

But Kettle please read

this is very interesting indeed

It also have relevance to my mafia comments and why running a business here may be dangerous

http://habby.net/entry/news/kims.php?file=docs/all-fools.txt

This is completely off topic and has no relevance to the OP's request. Please try to stay within some parameters of the general discussion please.

• 1 year later...

LOL....

i know this is an old thread but i've been doing research. I know kinda going through every message board that has to do with this topic for the past 4 months. I've been staying in Samui for the past 4 months... my brother's been there for a total of a year.

I'm just doing a followup to this thread origional question on this thread... any new developments considering this was posted on 2007-02-03.

I just got back from Samui and yea, its depressing.

This is my 1st post on this forum and thought i would get to know the names of the people constantly posting and seem to know what they are talking about.

Thanks to all...

I have just read through this whole topic and I am surprised that while all you people have been offerring advice fors and against, no one has informed the op that if he were to buy a bar in Soi Mango then he would only have three hours at the most each night to make his money. Soi Mango does not wake up till gone 11pm and shuts down (or is supposed to unless you pay extra) at 2am. Nothing at any other time.

And no I have never owned a bar and am offerring no opinions whatsoever.

HL :o

Bars in Soi Mango are a dime a dozen, saw 4 for sale on one site, it's not what ppl think when they buy into one. They think ahhh...a bar and living in Paradise! NOPE most make a few baht and thats it, same all over the island, unless you got a perfect spot and have a good name(quality Place). Most go broke if they don't have a fat wallet! I wouldn't pay 1-2Mil. for these places. I'd like to know who would that live here.

After just having a bizarre encounter with the English manager/owner? of a theme pub (and the Hooker in Chief), I have another suggestion for anyone thinking of opening a watering hole:

Please don't end up like so many of the proprietors here who sit around at their pub all day drinking themselves stupid. Maybe your life has ended up running a cruddy bar with infantile prostitutes and you can't work up enough money or enthusiasm to actually do something with your life more productive, but please, at least try to run the business you have professionally and with pride in your product, cleanliness and customer service.

Don't let the place turn into a hangout for a handful of your ragtag alcoholic "friends." You will end up nothing more than a pathetic loser, with "friends" whose only commonality is getting drunk in the same place every day.

Put some money back into upkeep of the place; don't let it become what so many of them already are: ramshackle and eyesores with no concern for an esthetically pleasing environment.

Oh and remember, stereos do have bass controls. You don't have to play tinny crap music at full volume just because the hayseed prostitutes like it that way.

• 1 year later...

Informative and entertaining thread it went in so many directions trying to maintain its course. I would like to know the status of CCC now, did you make the move and open the bar?

Nice to see there were people with positive input and encouragement for this type of venture. This is always an extremely diverse topic that leans towards fear based arguments that really do no good for investment or tourism. I hope their are people in Samui enjoying there business and new tropical life. Focus, commitment and hard work applies as with anything you take on in life, but doing such on Samui and if it provides financial lively hood I think we would have to agree, envy we would feel.

Good luck to all and we can all agree that dreaming of such a life would be amazing if you get it right.

i thinki sometimes after u buy a bar u might get a vidit from a thai man. with a peice of paper showing his cut in %.

The way you talk about it sounds like a head ache to even think about it. if i was u i would save your money and go into a business tha you know more about.

if u bar a bar in green mango then u have to remember why people go. they go for girls and to get drunk. the probem is finding the girls. when the girls go. normally the bar goes.

then u need a thai partner.

arhh head ache just thinking about it.

well good luck as someone sid think u will need it.

you might also want a dj to bring in the crowd and a good manager and a good muma sam. there i allot of compition in green mango so u will have to work hard. there have been many bars open and close down there. the people who make the real money are the ones who own the land

Edited by BigC

Don t do it !

Use some imagination and invest your 40k in something different,

40 k could get you part way to a condo in BKK , buy one own it and collect rent while (hopefully) your investment increases.

Or if possible find a business or Franchise that cannot be copied.

Good luck

All the advice above is bullshit.

All people who buy bars get rich, at least here on Samui. The staff is cheap and the profits are great. Not only that, you get to shag all the girls who work in your bar as, er, hostesses for free anytime you want. You can drink all the beer you want for free too. You will be looked up to by all who come into the bar since you "own a business," which makes you a big swinging dick around here. Other bar owners will become your friends and will cooperate to help you with your business as you help them by organizing "pool nights" and "get drunk in each other's bar" nights. This way you will be spreading the love.

At the end of your stand in Samui, you can jack up the fee for "the bar is 'worth' such and such" on top of the key money and rent and all the rest. Never fear, if you wait long enough, there will be another rube, just as gullible as you were to buy the whole kit an kaboodle.

How is life like up there up in the clouds Mark?

Edited by carmine

Blimey! 4 pages and all very passionate posts!!! All I can say is that I have lived on Samui for 9 years. Had a bar for 5 years. Took me a year to sort out the usual crap: reliable manager, cashier, mama san, good looking and reliable gurls etc.. We're open from 12 midday till 2 AM. I make a reasonable living. I don't drink every day or even go to my bar everyday. I don't shag the gurls in my bar. I don't play disco music at 3000 decibels. I play rock music at a decent level. I pay the BIB 1000 baht a month and the odd drink and they look after me. Never had problems with the local "mafia". I have outside interests and friends.

Blimey! 4 pages and all very passionate posts!!! All I can say is that I have lived on Samui for 9 years. Had a bar for 5 years. Took me a year to sort out the usual crap: reliable manager, cashier, mama san, good looking and reliable gurls etc.. We're open from 12 midday till 2 AM. I make a reasonable living. I don't drink every day or even go to my bar everyday. I don't shag the gurls in my bar. I don't play disco music at 3000 decibels. I play rock music at a decent level. I pay the BIB 1000 baht a month and the odd drink and they look after me. Never had problems with the local "mafia". I have outside interests and friends.

seems like your bar has a theme to it. if you have a good style then that should help. like any business resturants hotels bars. some fail some don't. thats why i would reckoment people stick to a business that they have a little inside info or experience.

if i was the op i would rent a bar for 6 months first before spending your life savins on 1.