Body of deceased rescuer being airlifted to his hometown

rooster59

Body of deceased rescuer being airlifted to his hometown

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNSOC610707001000101.JPG

CHONBURI, 7th July 2018 (NNT) – The body of former Thai navy seal Saman Kunan, who died inside Tham Luang Cave during a rescue operation will be taken by air to his hometown Roi Et, today. 

On Friday, the body was airlifted by a C-130 Hercules military plane to Sattahip Naval Base to receive a royally-sponsored funeral, courtesy of His Majesty the King. 

On Saturday, his body is being flown to Roi Et for another funeral rite, also royally sponsored. 

The former navy seal became unconscious while making the return journey to “chamber three” after delivering oxygen tanks inside Tham Luang Cave where 12 boys and their football coach remain stranded. A diving buddy tried to revive him but was unsuccessful. The volunteer seal was rushed to hosital where he passed away.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-07
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

If it's any consolation to anybody, He died doing what he loved

RIP, and I second the opinion and hope that his family is taken care off. 

Yes. I would hope a very large brown envelope with a lot of cash or a big cheque.

Better ???

Edited by overherebc
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Deli said:

Reason of death has not been investigated ?

This is not an unreasonable question.  Even at the lowest level of diver training I remember that sharing air with your buddy is one of the first things you learn.  An experienced diver with a buddy close at hand to share with should have been OK.  There has been no mention of sharing or attempted sharing so what did happen?

This is not an unreasonable question.  Even at the lowest level of diver training I remember that sharing air with your buddy is one of the first things you learn.  An experienced diver with a buddy close at hand to share with should have been OK.  There has been no mention of sharing or attempted sharing so what did happen?
It is not at all clear that this happened underwater. He may have been on dry ground or standing in water shallow enough to be breathing without equipment. We don't know. That the authorities were so quick to attribute it to the thin air (decreased oxygen levels in the cave, which occurred or was first identified on the day he died), suggests he passed out while at least partially abive water.

The official communication fromthe Navy Seals clearly indicated an intention to investigate and learn from this tragedy. His body was first taken to rhe Naval Hospital and likely autopsy done.

We just do not know results or even if the full investigation is complete yet.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

–and his family taken care of.

Just an assumption:

he will be promoted to a higher rank posthumous so his wife will receive a higher widow's pension?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, losername said:

From the NNT news report above on this page:

A diving buddy tried to revive him but was unsuccessful.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just an assumption:

he will be promoted to a higher rank posthumous so his wife will receive a higher widow's pension?

I read that the Navy is petitioning for this

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From the NNT news report above on this page:

Trying to revive is not the same as the sharing air that I refer to but it is from this report that I know his buddy was close by.  Sheryl is right, so much we don't know.