Thai boys await resumption of rescue mission after first four freed from cave

webfact

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

yeah it's a bit like accusing a driver of going thru a Red light, when he's really running a light just turned Amber

- still just as dangerous, yet not completely illegal

Not illegal at all. Closure is July, not June.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

In that case we should all be sheeple marching to the same drumbeat never questioning authority. In this case the expert divers are performing what amounts to miracles everyday they have been in the water  Pointing out obvious flaws in operations or lack thereof  initiated by command and control should not be viewed as negative but as observations that could have been improved upon. Initially the underwater extraction was viewed as the most risky of all options. Ideally one would seek a way that all  could be done to keep as many options on the table as possible. Questioning authority if all measures were not implemented to keep as many options open as possible is just as legit as asking why authorities didn't have a sign up closing that cave from may1-nov1 or why there was no gate securing the entrance. It's a very slippery slope when people are chastised by the masses for questioning authority. 

are you still digging that ditch?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

The coach knew what day it was and it was not july 1. Such a dangerous place should have been posted closed and SECURED from may 1 till nov 1 or when rain was forecast. That's not the coach's job, it's the governments job to insure the publics safety ie; traffic safety , helmet laws.

totally agree, don't blame the coach,  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing to do with accepting authority. The critiques can and will commence after the operation ends.

None of the armchair warriors criticizing anything and everything are not there, and none of us have a clue of the actual situation. The people there are experts, and know more about it than any of us ever will. They are doing a great job under extremely difficult circumstances. I certainly can't see how it could be done better.

Bringing religion or politics into the discussion is just petty, but seems there are more than a few posters that want to be petty.

Pointing out obvious flaws in operations or lack thereof  initiated by command and control should not be viewed as negative but as observations that could have been improved upon.

LOL. The idea that those in charge look to posters on TVF for guidance is ludicrous. By all means criticise after it is all over, but some of us want to be positive and generate good vibes for the operation.

Whatever, some need to stop thinking that they have more importance than they do. At the moment, it's not about us.

Yes, we all want to have our say, and we should, but we can do so positively till it is resolved one way or another.

Bs, I have every right to my opinion as you have to be sheeple. Your correct that my voicing my opinion will have about as much effect on the outcome as your cheerleading and generating good vibes.. You have every right to disagree with my opinion but be damned if you have a right to deny my right to express it

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

are you still digging that ditch?

Because I don't agree with the majority? Don't believe so,  but that is about the fourth time you have repeated that. Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you ain't got nothing knew to say.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

We had some arguments yesterday about the issue of quarantining the boys. In the press conference today it was confirmed:

The boys are also being kept away from relatives because of infections concerns, says the chief of the rescue mission. 

"They (the four) will be kept away from their parents for a while because we are concerned about infections," Narongsak Osottanakorn told reporters, adding doctors will decide on family visits "at a distance or through glass."

The reports that I saw didn't explain precisely what infections they were afraid of spreading to relatives....

You've got it the wrong way around good fella. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Seems from the reports they have all of this well organized considering the whole circumstances.

Do you have any real information or data on this subject? If not then why are you commenting at all?

I get my info from Pattaya news  today lack of oxygen full tanks...delay....OK  2nd source from Udon Thani update, so if I am not reliable you speak to them  OK  friend.........Thai problem being from 5pm yesterday    blackout of info,     was that because of oxygen tanks short supply for the demand  ??

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

You've got it the wrong way around good fella. 

The diseases they are being careful about have been mentioned many times already and apparently there is good reason to be careful of these diseases.

• Like 1

At the press conference, Mission chief Narongsak said (according to channelnewsasia):

Almost the same set of divers deployed, with some replaced due to conditions. Today we're ready. All equipment is ready. We hope we'll have good news in no time

Also, reposting a tweet from Richard Barrow:

Richard Barrow in Thailand 31m
UPDATE at 3:40pm: They cannot confirm how long it will take and how many boys will come out. But expect to see the first boy around 7pm. Yesterday’s rain hasn’t affected the rescue. Most of the divers are the same

Day 2 of evacuations underway after equipment restocked for journey

2018-07-09T051118Z_1_LYNXMPEE680A7_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

Ambulances are seen outside the Tham Luang cave complex after Thailand's government instructed members of the media to move out urgently, in the northern province of Chiang Rai,Thailand, July 8, 2018. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

The second day’s evacuations began at 11am on Monday to remove the remaining eight Mu Pa Academy footballers and their coach from the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai province, according to mission chief Narongsak Osottanakorn.

On Sunday, the multinational divers and rescuers succeeded in evacuating four of the 12 children after the extraction operation kicked off at 10am. The first boy was expected to come out of the cave at 9pm, but emerged at 5.40pm, the second boy at 5.50, the third at 7.40pm and the fourth at 7.50pm.

Narongsak said the operation on Monday started about two hours earlier than was expected, after all the procedures and equipment were either redeployed or replaced.

Members of the extraction team operating in the cave are sufficiently rested. Some of those who worked on day one were replaced due to exhaustion.

Narongsak on Monday said that after Sunday’s operation had finished, the diving team required about 20 hours to redeploy equipment, including oxygen tank, and for the divers to rest for their own safety.

However he declined to specify when the second day’s mission would be completed or how many members of the Mu Pa team members would be evacuated on Monday.

The 12 players and their assistant coach were trapped inside the cave on June 23 when a flash flood put their exit route underwater. The group took shelter on a mud-covered rock ledge called Noen Nom Sao, about three kilometres from the cave entrance. 

Due to fastmoving floodwaters, darkness, and the need to use several tanks of oxygen, the operation’s divers require about 11 hours for a single roundtrip journey to the cave.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349662

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-09

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

None so blind as those who don't want to understand.

Dammit Jim, I'm a poster not a medical doctor. I read Sheryl's post that listed a couple possible infections, but according to her they're not highly contageous and normal hospital protocols would suffice. So why don't you re-list the diseases, since they're not on this thread, and explain why they're so dangerous to us non-doctors.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

One wonders if it would be possible to have both a locked news thread and a comments thread so that those of us who are actually interested in watching the story unfold can do so without needing to wade through the posts of every asshat with an opinion or an axe to grind.

You can gladly go to youtube, several live feeds there,  this is an OPEN forum where ALL opinions can be aired as long as they abide by forum rules which don't include having to agree with the majority. It is meant to be a forum to present differing views. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Infections..?  Yet they let one of the first UK rescue cavers go home in an airplane - probably one of the worst places to spread disease..!  And are they keeping all the rescuers in isolation every time the come out of the cave.

They really must think their audience are completely stupid..

there's a myriad of nasties they could pick up from down there, especally more so the kids from the longer exposure

what with the bacteria from the mud itself, to the bat droppings etc

Some bacteria are worse than others, and the following have up to an 11 day incubation before the symptoms hit you like a brick!

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/704152/what-is-toxic-shock-syndrome-tampon-staphylococcus-streptococcus-bacteria

(I was 'bricked by the Strep... variant, back in Jan - simply from what I trod in on simple sand) 

you may recall from the earliest videos, that the medicos were already plying the kids feet etc with the Betadine

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

And are you simple?

Numerous spare "oxygen" tanks need be distributed throughout the cave to allow divers to replenish on the move.

Those tanks cannot be restocked with the children being extracted. 

Nor can the extraction divers work endlessly around the clock without rest.

Not simple, just normal, you after brownie points,     look at the time it took to get the 4 out,   then count the days after they were found,  and the days before the boys got out-----shocking work and only 2% of people could do.  BUT with storage areas  on route  have  places to store oxygen,  but I am so simple to post on here, am I.  Blame news from Pattaya Post---and Udon Thani update  for info and other news outlets wanting to get on the band wagon.   Wouldn't it be nice for us all to have info from  1 official network.  See how many posters have been misled by fake news.....