Fines for standing at the back of Baht Buses?

Henryford

I read elsewhere that the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative has a new head. He is Sutab Sukuojai  and on June 28th he said at a meeting with Banglamung District officials that he will help to enforce the rules and that one of them is the no standing at the back rule which can apparently incur a fine of 3000thb. He is also going to make the baht buses use the bus stops etc, etc, etc

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 10:17 AM, newnative said:

Observe how they pack the Pattaya baht buses headed to Jomtien--the ones lined up by the school and maybe 20 feet from a usually manned police box.  The baht buses don't budge until they've crammed the inside like sardines and there are several people standing at the back.  Wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

Indeed. The other night I was rudely ordered to the back by one of the "minders" there as the seats were filled, and when I refused, he appeared to threaten to punch me.

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

Thats an A Hole of a scam,To stop that they should Fine the driver for having a standing board/step on the back.How's a Tourist suppose to Know that the driver is breaking the law and the tourist has to pay for that? LOS ,, LAND OF SCAMS

How you gonna get on board if there is no step especially as there so may frail older folk that use them.

I'd say more than less are those Baht Buses bearing loads with the back bumper loaded, mostly with Farangs, some to get out of the smell. I used to ride between the cars on Korean trains, not quite as dangerous, to save myself from Kimchie odor.

35 minutes ago, BangkokSausage said:

How you gonna get on board if there is no step especially as there so may frail older folk that use them.

Why would you bring logic into the discussion ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Hanging off the back is a lot more fun than the smell-a-thon inside.

LOS isn't fun anymore. They stopped standing on the back step of a moving baht bus long ago up in Chiang Mai. Drivers must get fined though, as they won't let people stand outside. It's getting as bad as the boring nanny state I come from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jobsworth said:

Why is it that the baht buses in Pattaya used mainly to transport big foreigners all have such low ceilings while the baht buses in Udon Thani used mainly to transport small Isaan people have such high ceilings?

LOL. You should see the row roof level in Chiang Mai. Only for midgets.

2 hours ago, BangkokSausage said:

One step ? There are boards across the Whole With of the vehicle I have seen 6/7people standing on the back like that,,,, Utter Crap  

Much less common but somewhat related as a bus safety issue. A trend I've noticed lately in the Middle Eastern part of town in South Pattaya is groups of young male tourists boarding buses that are moving fairly quickly. They could wave them to stop but they don't. So it seems like a cultural thing, maybe to show how macho they are. It's kind of amusing to watch (will they make it or fall off trying) until someone gets hurt. The other night I witnessed one of them appearing to be about 300 pounds doing that. Someone nearly did get hurt when he smashed himself into the bus. 

What's the fine for that? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tolsti said:

I read elsewhere that the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative has a new head. He is Sutab Sukuojai  and on June 28th he said at a meeting with Banglamung District officials that he will help to enforce the rules and that one of them is the no standing at the back rule which can apparently incur a fine of 3000thb. He is also going to make the baht buses use the bus stops etc, etc, etc

No way will it happen. If tourists stop standing in high season its gonna hit the driver hard as well and we all know that they run the show. Wonder what happened to the soi Buahkao crack down? drivers just ignored it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, malt25 said:

When are any road laws, regulations enforced here ? Helmets when riding motor bikes, more than 2 on a motor bike, riding side saddle on a motor bike, passengers in the back of a pick-up. The list goes on & on but rarely if ever enforced.

You seem to forget that these are generally considered to be minor infractions when compared to the treasonable crime of standing at the back of a baht bus!

Edited by OJAS

24 minutes ago, OJAS said:

You seem to forget that these are generally considered to be minor infractions when compared to the treasonable crime of standing at the back of a baht bus!

And almost pocket change when compared to the 100k and 5 years in jail for lighting up a ciggie on the beach. farang should be grateful for the generosity

wait until Thailand modernizes more, and the baht bus drivers are required to carry insurance, then they start policing how and how many passengers sit or stand so that in case of an accident their insurance rates don't go up.  Got a ways to go before that happens.

16 hours ago, BangkokSausage said:

No way will it happen. If tourists stop standing in high season its gonna hit the driver hard as well and we all know that they run the show. Wonder what happened to the soi Buahkao crack down? drivers just ignored it

Agree.  The very powerful former mayor couldn't buck them and it's the same with  the current military.

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I always thought falangs just stand at the back of the baht bus just to look " cool"

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's the best we can do. The epitome of cool is a Thai beauty sitting side saddle and playing with her phone on a fast moving motorcycle taxi. Don't we really wish we could do that?

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

wait until Thailand modernizes more, and the baht bus drivers are required to carry insurance, then they start policing how and how many passengers sit or stand so that in case of an accident their insurance rates don't go up.  Got a ways to go before that happens.

Already written on the side of the baht bus, that they are licensed to carry 11 passengers.

I prefer to stand on back but it's really hard and unsafe to reach in for the buzzer. I also no longer do it unless I have my contact lenses on.

also once when I was drinking my hand hit my glasses when I jumped off before the truck came to a complete stop and I almost lost them on the road. The frames and lenses are worth 35000 baht.

i think ink I bent the right temple on the titanium frames when this happened and now they always look slightly off. I took them to the optician in bkk where I purchased them, of course this guy never loses face, and he adjusted the nose temples but seemed unable to bend the arms oh we'll I just ask him each time, this guy never loses face.

Edited by Dick Crank

2 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

I prefer to stand on back but it's really hard and unsafe to reach in for the buzzer. I also no longer do it unless I have my contact lenses on.

also once when I was drinking my hand hit my glasses when I jumped off before the truck came to a complete stop and I almost lost them on the road. The frames and lenses are worth 35000 baht.

i think ink I bent the right temple on the titanium frames when this happened and now they always look slightly off. I took them to the optician in bkk where I purchased them, of course this guy never loses face, and he adjusted the nose temples but seemed unable to bend the arms oh we'll I just ask him each time, this guy never loses face.

Words fail me !

• Like 1

meanwhile where the rubber meets the road in south pattaya. i took these pics yesterday afternoon within a 5 min period all in view of the police box

561460552_july12005(Custom).JPG.63661bb0ae9ce08d49adb05e9913b11c.JPG

loading to go north

1856610780_july12006(Custom).JPG.298837c58a75fb086928c165429a0871.JPG

loading to go south

1836184845_july12008(Custom).JPG.52fe60397327f0135dd7eff06b3fb45f.JPG

536366013_july12009(Custom).JPG.2b3809b04c8ee0c2fb03c3d1b89e1628.JPG

heading inland up south pattaya rd towards sukhumvit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Sorry but it should be the driver who gets fined...

If people stand on the back step he should pull over and wait until they get inside or or off.

I think it's OK to fine riders but they really need to post big signs on the trucks announcing the rule and fines in multiple languages. Otherwise, it's just entrapment. 

• Like 1