Video: Elon Musk is INSIDE Tham Luang cave testing rescue sub

webfact

50 minutes ago, faraday said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

everything is forgotten by the thais

Sowow!

Meaning of S in SOWOW. Early "S's" seemed 3,600 years back as a flat, awe-inspiring "W" shape, intended to mean a bowman's bow. Phoenicians included a precision that looks more like our "W's" At this stage it was known as "shin" signifying "tooth." The early Greeks pivoted it to the vertical and called it "sigma" with the "s" sound — and the Romans flipped it. 

http://definedmeanings.com/what-is-the-meaning-of/sowow/acronym-sowow-stands-for

50 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

The lead British diver didn't think it was useless; but perhaps he was less informed than you...

musk.PNG

and then they saw the end result that was a useless unwieldy hazard and they realised it was just one big Musky PR exercise.

Musk is out of this world. Only him and his team can develop so fast a machine like that one, only knowing that those kids may have to stay inside the cave for months. That was said by Thai authorities and the two English divers after founding the kids, just one week ago. When Musk started the project, those divers said that will be impossible to take the kids by diving .

The new foreign divers got the urgency because problems with the quality of the air inside the cave, that resulted in the death of the Thai diver. Now, finally, and by declaration of Mr. Prayut, we know that the kids were sedated, protected with special masks, and carried like packages, and that was the only reason why the diving operation was doable. Those divers are heroes, risking their lives and taking the responsability if something go wrong and ending in tragedy. Amazing courage. And also amazing attitude of Musk to come with an alternative, used or not.

I do not have any doubts that the Musk team was ready to do any changes to its capsule, if the first day's diving operation had problems to be completed.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 1

"Elon Musk is well known to have an eye for the headlines, but to be fair he only became involved after a message from one of his army of fans on Twitter," commented the BBC's technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones.

"The fact that his company's space technology and its much vaunted tunnelling skills proved irrelevant to the operation is a reminder that sometimes this tech superhero doesn't quite match up to the Iron Man of his fans' dreams."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44779998

1 hour ago, Muzarella said:

Musk is out of this world. Only him and his team can develop so fast a machine like that one, only knowing that those kids may have to stay inside the cave for months. That was said by Thai authorities and the two English divers after founding the kids, just one week ago. When Musk started the project, those divers said that will be impossible to take the kids by diving .

The new foreign divers got the urgency because problems with the quality of the air inside the cave, that resulted in the death of the Thai diver. Now, finally, and by declaration of Mr. Prayut, we know that the kids were sedated, protected with special masks, and carried like packages, and that was the only reason why the diving operation was doable. Those divers are heroes, risking their lives and taking the responsability if something go wrong and ending in tragedy. Amazing courage. And also amazing attitude of Musk to come with an alternative, used or not.

I do not have any doubts that the Musk team was ready to do any changes to its capsule, if the first day's diving operation had problems to be completed.

One can only imagine how different this rescue would have gone if Elon had been entrusted with dewatering the cave from the jump. Imagine if the correct equipment had been shipped immediately instead of in this case the pumps that had the capacity to actually do the job are still awaiting arrival. I guy like Elon understands delays are not an option, especially in case of life and death. Governments and Bureaucracy have no realization of that concept. Musk team and the divers would have meshed well together and all this drama and death might well have been avoided. To all the people proclaiming it was such a well organized operation need only rewind back to the mass confusion in the first days with the press, rubber necks and cars everywhere that looked more like a rock concert than an organized rescue. The vison of piles of PVC pipe laying around for days unused and 3" pumps attempting to drain a 10km cave. Hope this may serve as a learning moment for nations to reach out a share their best and brightest immediately when a crisis develops.

• Confused 1

Were so many of you not cuddled enough as children? So much bitterness in this thread

Elon was asked to help out after the operation had already been started via a tweet, then he was clearly in contact with Richard Stanton only 2 days ago. The email clearly shows Richard thought it was important to carry on helping and develop the capsule.

In a mere 2 or 3 days, the rescue capsule has been designed ,built and tested. Else where it has been pointed out that a team was asked to build pretty much the same thing by the Thai Authorities, its still a drawing in the design phase. Musks has been designed, built and delivered in person.

Used or not, at least he bothered, and sorry,  but the man who has a Red Tesla floating about in space, doesnt really need the PR

He could have arrived stood outside and farted, you would still accuse him of just doing it for the publicity

Thankfully they are all safe due to the simply selfless acts and sheer determination of those many people from all over the planet - amazing.

Thank you for trying to help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if anything like his design has been tried in rescue situations before, but it definitely seems flawed in concept, at least for this particular situation. Firstly it looks way too big to get around some of the tightest parts of the cave, especially the 38cm u bend section past the t junction they mentioned. There were reported to be very tight sections in there where the cave doubles back on itself that require the flexibility of the human body to navigate. 

Second, I cringed when in the video they opened the capsule to release the test subject. People freak out when they go inside an MRI machine, being locked into that mini sarcophagus would induce an immediate panic attack in me, even if there was a window (which there isn't).

Third, in his enthusiasm for the idea, Musk seemed to have lost track of the news and timeline of what was unfolding. He was still in the US in the early testing stages when the success of the first four boys coming out was announced. It was very clear they'd found a successful strategy, so no way would they be inclined to abandon that and try something else

I don't malign Musk for trying - like so many around the world he was obviously touched by their plight and believed he had a solution. It should be obvious though that all manner of protocols have been used successfully in cave rescues for decades past, and the only ones qualified to decide on the specific combination of approaches to use were the expert divers on the scene.

Incidentally, I've lost track keeping up with all the threads here, so there's a likely chance much of the above has already been mentioned.

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

Just now, garrya said:

Who said one country? Reading comprehension problems?

Take a primary class?

I didnt say "country" , I said "Countries" , as in which Countries in Asia and Africa are billions of people starving in ? 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Third, in his enthusiasm for the idea, Musk seemed to have lost track of the news and timeline of what was unfolding. He was still in the US in the early testing stages when the success of the first four boys coming out was announced. It was very clear they'd found a successful strategy, so no way would they be inclined to abandon that and try something else

Of course they did not lose track of the news. Elon Musk was in direct contact with Richard Stanton on July 8 and in one conversation he (Richard Stanton) said: "We're worried about the smallest lad please keep working on the capsule details".

Here's part of a conversation (email) between Richard Stanton and Elon Musk on July 8:

(If one of the main British expert cave divers thought it was a good idea and was offering design directions, who are we to argue)

mini-sub1 convo.PNG

mini-sub2 convo.PNG

Edited by tropo

Just now, sanemax said:

I didnt say "country" , I said "Countries" , as in which Countries in Asia and Africa are billions of people starving in ? 

Nowhere. Everybody is well-off, nowhere is any problems.

LOL, I bet you are not older than 22

1 minute ago, garrya said:

Nowhere. Everybody is well-off, nowhere is any problems.

LOL, I bet you are not older than 22

I am not suggesting that everyone is well off , I just wondered where the billions of people starving lived .

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Of course they did not lose track of the news. Elon Musk was in direct contact with Richard Stanton on July 8 and in one conversation he said: "We're worried about the smallest lad please keep working on the capsule details".

Here's a full transcript of the July 8 conversation between Richard Stanton and Elon Musk on July 8:

mini-sub1 convo.PNG

mini-sub2 convo.PNG

Fair enough, I hadn't seen that. Most of the news coverage gave the impression he was going it alone. If he was proceeding in conjunction with those on the ground it certainly changes things.

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Add starving or undernourished and you'll get some very big numbers. Maybe not billions, but 100's of millions.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I am not suggesting that everyone is well off , I just wondered where the billions of people starving lived .

OK, You must understand a bit of sarcasm firstly. Secondly, you must know a bit of history, and finally, really, do some research on certain places in Africa. How  they live, how much water they have, how easy is to grow anything, how much money they make when they work etc.

Well, those REAL people in Africa are the real heroes after surviving an ordinary day!

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

Of course they did not lose track of the news. Elon Musk was in direct contact with Richard Stanton on July 8 and in one conversation he said: "We're worried about the smallest lad please keep working on the capsule details".

Here's part of a July 8 conversation between Richard Stanton and Elon Musk on July 8:

(If one of the main British expert cave divers thought it was a good idea and was offering design directions, who are we to argue)

mini-sub1 convo.PNG

mini-sub2 convo.PNG

Now this 'pod' thing exists I'm sure it will have many uses in the future even if it was used only on certain longer distance underwater parts of the rescue it looks like something that could be very useful.

• Like 2

Just now, lamyai3 said:

Fair enough, I hadn't seen that. Most of the news coverage gave the impression he was going it alone. If he was proceeding in conjunction with those on the ground it certainly changes things.

I just had to add that in, as there are dozens on this thread that obviously hate the man and tried to turn this thread into a smear campaign. I'd be quite certain that Richard Stanton and Co will be very interested in this contraption as a potential lifesaver in future rescues.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tropo said:

I just had to add that in, as there are dozens on this thread that obviously hate the man and tried to turn this thread into a smear campaign. I'd be quite certain that Richard Stanton and Co will be very interested in this contraption as a potential lifesaver in future rescues.

People have been bashing Musk on Twitter as well which appears to be why he posted the email from Stanton.

I will add this as well :

elon.jpg.edb3879f36eb5555ae7ca592b92a58ac.jpg

This wasn't designed blindly, it was specfically designed to get past the narrowest part.

Edited by ukrules

"Operating principle is the same as spacecraft design - No loss of life even with two failures"

That's the kind of engineering talk, which is good to hear. 

38 minutes ago, garrya said:

OK, You must understand a bit of sarcasm firstly. Secondly, you must know a bit of history, and finally, really, do some research on certain places in Africa. How  they live, how much water they have, how easy is to grow anything, how much money they make when they work etc.

Well, those REAL people in Africa are the real heroes after surviving an ordinary day!

I didnt see many of those "real African heros" making any effort to help rescue the kids in the cave .

Elon Musk was there offering assistance , where were your African heroes ?

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

I didnt see many of those "real African heros" making any effort to help rescue the kids in the cave .

Elon Musk was there offering assistance , where were your African heroes ?

Elon Musk is African, try to get a grip on your racism.