Thailand cave rescue: water pumps failed just after last boy escaped

webfact

15 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

It certainly will make a great movie - and it's a golden opportunity for all the key characters involved, as each of them will have their own story/account to give of the ordeal.

The script certainly needs to be written by an excellent writer  - my guess is that it will be a collaborative effort between a Thai writer and an established screenwriter from the west.

The great thing is that the story can build and pivot from the point of view of any one of the main characters - The Coach - one of the boys or even one of the divers.

Then you've got the lore of the cave itself - stretching back as far as time itself. The reclining "malevolent?" lady - have previous lives been lost etc? What's the history of the monks caves - and the naming of particular points in the cave system.

You've got the stories of the Brit divers and previous extractions, you've got the tragic Thai Navy Seal, and then you've got the governor being transferred in the middle of it, you've got the religious aspect as well - some of the boys being christian and others buddhist etc etc. 

And of course - this all happened slap bang in the middle of the 2018 World Cup - to a Junior Thai Football Team!!

LIFE IS STRANGER THAN FICTION!! You really couldn't make this stuff up!!
This event has now become a major part of Thai History.

If it's done well - the film can be a really great work of art, as well as being a brilliant thriller/adventure movie.

I hope the boys get proper legal representation  - because the fact is - their families could be set for generations if it's all handled properly. Hopefully they won't accept a buyout for a couple of million baht each - they need to make sure they sign a contract that covers residuals and publishing/copyright.

You also have things like:

Thai monk superstitious stuff

Feud beteeen PM, Governor 

Media curtailment 

Near electrocutions 

So many angles. I suspect problem will be that the local guys will want the story to be too perfect and free from any errors or negative dramatic effect.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Darksidedog, I am not normally at all superstitious - but the protective good fortune that seems to have been enwrapping these brave boys all the way through this, and now news of that pump failing AFTER the boys were freed .... well,  it makes one wonder about miracles ...

Or perhaps it was simply their very good Karma ...

There is no such thing as protective good fortune, or karma, they were just lucky

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

There is no such thing as protective good fortune, or karma, they were just lucky

Well,  none of us knows this for sure - not possessing cosmic vision and the deepest insight into the workings of this wonderful universe!

Edited by Eligius
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Well,  none of us knows this for sure - not possessing cosmic vision and the deepest insight into the workings of this wonderful universe!

Plenty on here possess comic vision though..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the Hollywood version will have the pumps failing before they last group gets out and they will almost drown until the explosive charges go off and seal the water off. :cheesy:

Maybe the movie could be called The Pump Station.

i'm sure i've heard that some place before in Thailand. :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Darksidedog, I am not normally at all superstitious - but the protective good fortune that seems to have been enwrapping these brave boys all the way through this, and now news of that pump failing AFTER the boys were freed .... well,  it makes one wonder about miracles ...

Or perhaps it was simply their very good Karma ...

What about the dead Thai Navy SeAL?  Bad karma?

Miracles seem to be born AFTER the fact, when there's a (mostly) happy ending.    Supernatural purveyors of miracles prefer taking credit for the good stuff.  The bad stuff is bad for the PR image and by extension, bad for business.

Was the supernatural voodoo entity tired of miracle making?  Was the pump failing part of his, or her, mysterious plan for the guys still in the cave? 

They managed to scramble to high ground.  Was that a miracle?  Or a swing and a miss for the  Miracle Maker?

What if 1/2 of them survived, 1/2 were washed away.   Would we still have to offer dismissive praise to the smarmy, opportunistic Miracle Maker by saying, "Well, golly gosh and gee wiz, it's miracle more of them weren't killed". 

Edited by 55Jay

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My thoughts, too.

Now about Hollywood: Most likely the British will be played by Chris Hemsworth, Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Daniel Craig, Tom Hiddleston, Michael Fassbender, Jason Statham or Taron Egerton. And the Thai Governer will be Anthony Hopkins, cause he can play anybody. Screen play by Jeffrey Archer, a great storyteller. But Dwayne Johnson, Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis cannot be counted out. ?????

And, yes, I tried to find a lot of Australians.

Aw, what about Arnie and Stallone?

3 hours ago, steve73 said:

But who will get to play Sheryl - the always awake TVF moderator keeping the treads updated and free from too much off-topic nonsense.  Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren perhaps.

Naw. Angela Jolie?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DanaDeLuxe said:

Bye bye, Mr. Musk! You might have tried your best but now your agenda is shining through ...

He just dropped by on his way to China with his capsule which was nothing else than a nice thing to do despite whatever intensions he might had:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-10/tesla-is-said-to-plan-china-plant-with-500-000-vehicle-capacity

Edited by ttrd

44 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Aw, what about Arnie and Stallone?

They will lead opposing  rescue teams.... 

A chopper will have to be sent out to pickup commander Sean Connery on the presidents orders.... 

Everyone else in the mission will answer to him and he will run the control room at base camp.... Because let's be honest, he's the only one with the expertise to pull this off..... 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

The Hollywood version will have all American heroes saving the boys, all other nationalities will be forgotten.

Probably because it couldn't have been done without us. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

We were having lunch in Huai Khrai today which is about 15k south of Maesai about 1.30 and 4 very large lowloaders went past with huge pumps on the back , oh how everyone waved and cheered got loud blast on the horns back. I never realised just how big those pumps were.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My thoughts, too.

Now about Hollywood: Most likely the British will be played by Chris Hemsworth, Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Daniel Craig, Tom Hiddleston, Michael Fassbender, Jason Statham or Taron Egerton. And the Thai Governer will be Anthony Hopkins, cause he can play anybody. Screen play by Jeffrey Archer, a great storyteller. But Dwayne Johnson, Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis cannot be counted out. ?????

And, yes, I tried to find a lot of Australians.

What?! You mention Australian actors but you don't mention Hugh Jackman or Mel Gibson? 

By the way Mel Gibson looks probably old enough by now to play the 70-year old diver. 

Why not let the Thailand movie industry produce their own movie? Keep Hollywood out of it..My guess is Hollywood will evaluate it and give it a thumbs down. Child centered pictures are hard to do especially with foreign kids to claim a true story.... 

• Like 1