How bad is it to beep the horn here?

bbabythai

In all the countries of the world, some people use their horns in two different ways.

The first normal and logical a quick honk to warn another user before a possible incident/accident, it is most often well understood and accepted.

The second after the incident... 

...a series of long and repeated scream of honk often reinforced with headlight flashing to let off steam, show the driver's anger since it's him who was in his right and not the other moron!

The second method is unbearable everywhere, not only in Thailand

I remember having a new driver who by halfway through his first day at work I realised he liked to honk the horn, I advised him that if I ever heard him use the horn again, except for use to avoid an accident/incident, he would be fired. Don't recall hearing that horn again for the next few years.

When I was riding my big bike I installed extremely loud air horns and used them a lot, especially for U turners as they wouldn't realize it was a fast bike and not a scooter approaching. Nobody ever bothered me or seemed angry, and maybe because it usually wasn't in a city but out on the highways. I notice when driving the car I do get their horn if I do something suspect.

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

As an ex Green Beret Special forces Black ops SAS sniper, i know that getting a gun pulled on you is not nice, particularly as a civilian. I'd not wish this on anyone, not a nice experience.

I think the comment about random drivers remembering your rego, is like a lot of other comments on here, a bit OTT but whatever...

One thing i do find surprising with a few comments on this thread ( and others ) is how some posters survived here on their own before meeting their wife. It seems as if they have to be advised, instructed how to behave about many things, wifey needs to go everywhere to hold their hands......sad really.

ex services, seen enough guns so it didnt bother me, I still gave him the finger as they usually expect people to sh*t themselves. I am not concerned what happens to me but I am about my wife and daughter, anyone living here long enough knows that the males will definitely attack a woman rather than a man, I have faced off a couple of men that didnt realize I was close by when they approached my wife.  Look at the males fight, 10 onto 1 is the norm so they dont loose face, they run from males when they are by themselves, anyway green beret are pussies, when they attended the  assault course at the Jungle Training Centre at Cunungra(Aussie) many never finished it and refused the tower jump into the river('75/'76) from memory, wouldnt brag about being one of them too much

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, seajae said:

ex services, seen enough guns so it didnt bother me, I still gave him the finger as they usually expect people to sh*t themselves. I am not concerned what happens to me but I am about my wife and daughter, anyone living here long enough knows that the males will definitely attack a woman rather than a man, I have faced off a couple of men that didnt realize I was close by when they approached my wife.  Look at the males fight, 10 onto 1 is the norm so they dont loose face, they run from males when they are by themselves, anyway green beret are pussies, when they attended the  assault course at the Jungle Training Centre at Cunungra(Aussie) many never finished it and refused the tower jump into the river('75/'76) from memory, wouldnt brag about being one of them too much

LOL - the first line was meant tongue in cheek, too funny, i notice you never slagged the SAS, that's coz the are the hardest people on planet earth!

Totally agree with your assessment of Thai males though, biggest cowards going...

1 minute ago, JaiLai said:

LOL - the first line was meant tongue in cheek, too funny, i notice you never slagged the SAS, that's coz the are the hardest people on planet earth!

Totally agree with your assessment of Thai males though, biggest cowards going...

I trained with them in '77, why would I slag them

Every country has its honkers. Thank God Thailand is not as bad as countries like Indonesia where everyone honks at the slightest thing. It makes busy roads sound like a cacophony.

I hope Thailand doesn't get into this bad habit.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:36 PM, bbabythai said:

are you serious?

Are you a troll ? Use search function and you will find hundreds of threads about the danger of using horn or use your middle finger in Thailand. 

First time I gave the finger to a Thai inside a mall , I had to run away ,he followed me for 1 hour. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, balo said:

Are you a troll ? Use search function and you will find hundreds of threads about the danger of using horn or use your middle finger in Thailand. 

First time I gave the finger to a Thai inside a mall , I had to run away ,he followed me for 1 hour. 

I remember an ozzy made drawings on the king in Rock City in Patong. It was shut down, all guests out except the poor ozzy, and he had to beg for his life and promise never ever do that again! The Ladyboy told me shat happend afterwards, and he was sent with the police after one hour of psychic torture. Serious stuff to piss off a thai in rhe right moment! But I do use my horn almost every day, and so far no problem! Never ever used my middle finger in Thailand or made a joke about the king!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, seajae said:

I find it sad that ex members of various military branches like to be all macho and call others pussies, and of course, civilians, Thai and Farang alike, are the biggest pussies of all.

They so often exhibit aggressive confrontational behaviour. My daddy can beat your daddy bs from when we were 6.

I find non-confrontation the best strategy. Never been in a fight in my home country or Thailand in my life.

PS. I don't use the horn much.

14 minutes ago, jvs said:

Be careful out there,you may meet people like this one.

I wouldn't worry about Ronnie here he is in the white hoodie on the receiving end. All mouth and trousers as we say up North.

Beware though, I'm sure he posts on TVF.

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yes, the OP. I often convert KPH to MPH whilst I'm driving as I can relate to it better. I would think that the majority of people on this forum think in MPH.

I’m a minority then. I drive a kph car and see no reason to convert my speed because I know what speed I'm doing . All this despite the fact that I’m from an kph country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yes, the OP. I often convert KPH to MPH whilst I'm driving as I can relate to it better. I would think that the majority of people on this forum think in MPH.

Out of 7 billion people on Earth only two countries use Imperial any more.

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of posters are American or over the age of 75.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Out of 7 billion people on Earth only two countries use Imperial any more.

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of posters are American or over the age of 75.

I didn't say "vast". Americans and Brits.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I didn't say "vast". Americans and Brits.

Sorry I added the word vast.

Brits haven't used Imperial since  1965. That's 53 years!

Only Americans, Liberians, and outdated old people use Imperial.

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

Sorry I added the word vast.

Brits haven't used Imperial since  1965. That's 53 years!

Only Americans, Liberians, and outdated old people use Imperial.

And Brits! All road signs are in MPH, all cars have an MPH speedo.

Edited by Spidey

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Well if May is the past. I was there in May, all road signs MPH, the car I drove had an MPH speedo.

I stand corrected.

England embraced the metric system in 1965 and then stuck their collective heads in the sand.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

I stand corrected.

England embraced the metric system in 1965 and then stuck their collective heads in the sand.

We still drink pints of beer too!

Just now, Spidey said:

We still drink pints of beer too!

Despite Metric every country will have a pint of beer.

Bloody north america has introduced a "sleeve" of beer. A few ounces short of a pint.

If we embraced a litre of beer we could all be happier!

Just now, duanebigsby said:

Despite Metric every country will have a pint of beer.

Bloody north america has introduced a "sleeve" of beer. A few ounces short of a pint.

If we embraced a litre of beer we could all be happier!

Nope, in Europe, a glass of beer is 25 cl, a large beer is 50 cl, less than a pint, same in Thailand.

I once went for  meal in a well known restraunt in Paris ( Le Chat Noir) with my family. The owner came over and sat with us and when I asked him for a large beer, he came back with a litre glass, I still have the photo of me drinking it - a very happy man!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 8:28 AM, bbabythai said:

Is it inadvisable to beep the horn even when some dhead drives like an idiot.

The sort answer is "yes", even one sometime wish to do it. I believe an usual given advise in this forum also fits here – Just forget, and move on – but I should admit, that I have also a few times honked the horn, but mainly at stupid foreigners...?

Sounding ones horn applies to anywhere in the world. It's called 'driving etiquette';. With regards to road rage I've never seen any road rage here in 13 years and I assure all I use my horn lots when some Somchai deserves it. And I'd lay odds that road rage is more common in the UK than here. 

Edited by Rally123
  • Like 1