Very disappointing visit to Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

It does seem that the legendarily non visionary small minds at the top, are making a concerted effort to turn the country into a Quaker state. Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Samui are pale shadows of their former selves, when it comes to attracting and keeping "talent" and the bars are closing left and right. The ones that remain open complain viciously about the lack of trade from the punters. It appears that Bangkok and Hua Hin are sort of holding their own. Not much of an expert on P town. Kind of makes sense. The Chinese do not hang out at the bars, nor do they patronize many of the working girls. And as we all know, the powers that be are not particularly interested in us Westerners any more. Perhaps we bring too much support, respect, culture, and cash? LOL. 

I agree about the newer establishments. Many are without much soul. On Samui there are alot of new, expensive restaurants opening. The older, reasonable places where you can get a really good Thai meal are disappearing, and even many of them are asking silly prices for food and drink. However, from what I am told, business is so far off what it used to be, that you can now rent storefronts without paying key money, which is unheard of. Tell that to the TAT!

• Thanks 1

Dear Mr Sunbeachlover: sure things change here and faster than you can imagine , either the tourists change and the hotels and and and....

You expect all will be perfect for you, but all must be CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!

I think still Pattaya is much cheaper compare to Pukhet! And for farangs living here you can get and buy everything you need as a farang who not want to stick with rice and some curry food!

The good old days are gone, sure, but sure not gone within one year!

The world is changing and Pattaya as well: good or not is everybodies different perspective!

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Stayed at one of the grand old Pattaya hotels. I stayed there for a month a year ago, and was very happy, but this time it was a different story. Wifi didn't work, and staff couldn't care less when I complained. If an hotel advertises it comes with wifi, it should have one that works. It was working fine a year ago, and I'm now on the same computer, which is working fine, but in a different hotel. Actually, the hotel is looking a bit run down, and the staff aren't interested, so wondering if it's due to be sold and demolished. Be a shame if it is destroyed, but they ain't doing anything to encourage return custom.

A mate of mine, one of the "legends in our own lunchtime" brigade back in the 1980's is a creature of habit. When he comes back for his annual revisit, it's like he's caught in a time warp and he still stays at the Mike Hotel near the traffic lights at Tai & 2nd. Back in the 80's, this place was one of the newer, modern 3-4 star places that had nice carpets, marble floored lobby, quiet rooms, hot and cold water and a decent kitchen with the added bonus of being a quick walk from WS when escaping with the night's bedwarmer. When I dropped him off after an airport pickup and went up to the lobby to collect the cheese and stuff he brought over for me, I swear it was the same carpet.

Pass on the 'grand old' Pattaya hotels like the Lek. Even the Dynasty which was another home from home in the 90's has the same look and smell, plastic covered sofa's, redolent of nicotine-stained airconditioners and plumbing without traps.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

...<deleted> boutique hotels, which has turned them into cultural deserts with absolutely nothing of interest in them. ...

Some of the boutique hotels from Soi 11 south are really very good and there's at least 4 on Soi 10 alone that get my regular business as they are (for now) mostly Chinese-free, the Soi is wide and most have excellent covered parking. The older ones are as you say, either running on empty or have handed themselves over to the low-budget Chinese tour set. Anyway, since when has any Thai hotel been a 'cultural oasis'? Maybe the old Peninsula down by the Chao Phraya in Bangkok? The old Royal Cliff was the best that Pattaya had for years but never, ever had the same cache. It is Pattaya after all.

If all my Pattaya mates simultaneously departed, I seriously doubt I would bother visiting as much. Maybe a one day shopping trip every 6 months but more likely I would either try harder to find what I need locally or elsewhere... or just change my needs. Going to Pattaya on your own with ones' head jammed full of reminiscences is on a hiding for nothing IMHO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

When I see these Chinese people blocking the whole footpath in Beach Road, I just walk right 

through them as if they weren't there, scattering them out of my way.

Do you give them a shout first to clear the way?

All part of the Thai Tourism Board upgrading for Advertising Pattaya as a Family Resort

Shopping Malls  better up market hotels Restaurants ect 

as already mentioned   the bar scene was great in the 80s and 90s  now to expensive hence the closing of many 

The  influx of Chinese  tourists not interested in bars get them in the Malls and restaurants spending their money