Road accidents getting worse! Eight per cent increase on last year

webfact

Road accidents getting worse! Eight per cent increase on last year

5pm.jpg

INN reported yet more bad news on Thailand's roads.

Already named as the most dangerous place on earth to drive it has now been announced by the Highways Department that there were 8% more accidents in June this year compared to the same month last year.

And worse - there were 4% more deaths too.

However, there were 6% less injuries.

The Highways Department blamed speeding for most of the trouble.

They said 65% involved excessive speed followed by 8% nodding off at the wheel and 6% not judging distances resulting in cutting in front of others dangerously.

The department reported 135 deaths in June.

Thaivisa notes that this is just a fraction of the actual death toll because it is just those deaths that occur on roads under the jurisdiction of the Highways Department.

The real figure is likely to be in the region of 1,500 - 2000 fatalities per month on all of Thailand's roads.

Source: INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-18
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If there is no enforcement of speed limits then it's a race track for both bikes and cars it's that simple.

If there not going to enforce then the only thing that's going to save lives is a massive traffic jam ? 

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

god I love Thailand. After reading this I can hardly wait to finish my coffee and get out there on the highway. :cheesy:

Sometime in the not so distant future. Thailand's roads could look like this. I have to agree.

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The police here own franchises. They are franchisees. They are not law enforcement officials. They rarely engage in law enforcement, traffic safety, or public safety.

I would suggest the government import a real police force from somewhere else perhaps Australia. The highway patrol have been known to scare the crap out of drivers caught speeding, that's apart from the hefty fine and loss of points.I mean it's not as if they were taking away Thai jobs.?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

No changes implemented , planned ,or even talked about or considered, by those who could make changes, the government, or the police, who want to maintain their cushy little lifestyle, sitting by the roadside collecting cash, back home by 6pm at the latest, feet up watching the soaps, or in the short time with the mia noi. 

Expect the same old story being posted on TV in 10 years time, by which time another 250 000 will have died on the roads.

The Thai public are just as complicit, the topic is rarely, if ever discussed at school, in class, at home or anywhere else. Everyone would much rather just carry on regardless.

I don't think the police want to risk their lives patrolling the highways they don't get paid enough.

• Haha 1

One can understand more cars on the road= more accidents but what with the road rage? what is the end purpose of beating up on someone? if you can't control your emotions than don't drive, otherwise for a few moments of letting steam off you will be in a of of troubles, but i guess no reasoning will change the minds of stupids hotheaded people....