What products do you bring from home?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coffee, coffee and more coffee.

I do pick up clothing items. Usually made by Outdoor oriented companies, but can be used in an office setting here. Sounds strange but yes, they make them. I have Marmot, North Face and Ex Officio, shirt, pants, and underwear. The ones I buy are specifically made for hot weather.

Also specific medical things - sounds vague. In my case that means arch support shoes, trainers and even arch support inserts and flip flops. You can get some of those things here but easier back home. 

Antiperspirant Deodorant...some how Nivea seems to have cornered the market in Thailand 

( there are a couple of other names but no where near the choice  there used to be )

and its about 4-5 times more expensive than the UK where there are many different brands to chose from

really cheap in "pound shops" or Sunday market..even Tesco BOGOF.

Also disposable razor blades...Aspirin ( they only let you buy 2 packs per person in UK now and 300mg tablets, before they where 500mg )   Germolene...pity they stopped making the  pink (smelly) version

I bring back items from the US that are overpriced in Thailand. Gillette gel shaving cream (2 cans for $2.79 at WalMart, $10 a can at Big C),  Gillette Fusion razor blades (buy 12 for the price of 4 in Thailand), peanut butter ($2.50 a jar $6.00 here), protein bars and packets of energy drink mix are just a few.  All my clothes are from the states. Size L is XXL in Thailand. Levi jeans are 2X the price. Sports shoes such as Nikes, Reebok etc are overpriced here. Anything that is imported into Thailand will be expensive compared to your home country.  

On 7/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, Saraphee said:

Cheese, Chocolate, Sandwich spreads, Corned Beef, Bovril and others...................

and oxo cubes....and heinz soups or some batchelors cuppa soups....and some good SMOKEY bacon...I have never found any here....bring all you can from where ever your coming from...even bring some toffee there is none of this here.....just fill the plane with goodies you like....

3 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I bring back items from the US that are overpriced in Thailand. Gillette gel shaving cream (2 cans for $2.79 at WalMart, $10 a can at Big C),  Gillette Fusion razor blades (buy 12 for the price of 4 in Thailand), peanut butter ($2.50 a jar $6.00 here), protein bars and packets of energy drink mix are just a few.  All my clothes are from the states. Size L is XXL in Thailand. Levi jeans are 2X the price. Sports shoes such as Nikes, Reebok etc are overpriced here. Anything that is imported into Thailand will be expensive compared to your home country.  

are they ORIGINAL levis?? why bring jeans it is HOT here NO NEED FOR THEM

3 minutes ago, essox essox said:

one pair for the twice per year I wear long pants....government offices, important business...but I do wear shorts to Immigration, but maybe not good at some offices....yes, hot as hell, but they look a lot better than Thai tailor polyester teacher pants.

quite a long list of things costing triple here...good place to start...Calvin Klein undies..4 for 700 in US....here, 3 for 2800 at Central.

8 minutes ago, Foxy52 said:

Marks and Spencer pork pies and/or sausage rolls and decent tissues that don't fall apart in your hand when you blow your nose

i forgot about these......and the M & S shepherds pie is out of this world.... need to bring some of these

2 minutes ago, essox essox said:

If it's too hot in Thailand to wear jeans why do they sell them here? Do you think people that live in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas or other hot climates don't wear jeans?  It's not any hotter here than in my home country in June, July or August. Also, most of the farangs I've seen out and about really should consider wearing long pants.

Sorry but all the other posters are posting Rubbish there is only one thing to bring

MONEY

LOTS AND LOTS.?

sorry boys ,not being rude ,just couldnt resist

ok Gromet ,and cheese ,nice and strong.

I'm a guy who stays in LOS for three consecutive months and come prepared. Although there is always the chance of getting caught, I take the risk of bringing (which I deep freeze once I'm in my apartment). Except for (expensive cheeses) you can find almost anything in LOS but not:

beef stew (belgian recipe with beer)

cheese: old, emmenthaler, brie, parmesan

sandwich spread: chicken curry, bone ham in mayo, filet americain

chicory (vegetable)

belgian pralines (chocolate with cream filling)

1 minute ago, Goanna said:

Vegemite.

true!

but to avert the expected burning Posts to follow, about Vegemite;

- it's handy to describe (how little) the uninitiated need to really use on a spread ?

Sarsons malt vinegar ,   dry roasted  and  honey & chilli flavoured peanuts  ,  Yorkshire tea bags  ,  shaving cream and blades ,

new trainers (  mostly only up to a size 10 here )  boxer shorts that fit and not a bs size as they are here  , always a new bank card reader as a backup ,  new light weight  chino trousers / shorts 

Have to say , does anyone actually buy the Liptons tea bags here ?   

I posted 4 large boxes of supermarket items in 2007, preparing to spend more time here between work periods.  Those things run out and you'll find local products that work, or you just get over it and do without, as well as finding completely new things you like.  

We still bring shed loads back from US vacations though; 4 cases leave Thailand light or empty, return full and heavy.  The supermarket items have thinned over the years for reason mentioned above ^, + a visit down to a Villa Market in BKK fills the gaps nicely.  ?

The big haul now is clothes, sandals, shoes, etc.  I'm not a clothes groupie, at all, but I do refresh the wardrobe at outlets and consolidators who take in end of season stocks from the big chain department stores, and sell name brand stuff at a fraction of the cost.  It's also the wife's big shopping spree for genuine Coach handbags and sunglasses - she never buys these things in Thailand.

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

54mm are widely available here.  Pun intended.  60mm are available overseas but I have not seen or needed them here.  555

Show off!

This is good thread.   I think Cheese is a good idea.  I bought some Gouda at tops and such bland flavor.   

Let's talk contraband!!!!I

What's highest profit margin stuff?

I bring Levi's for gifts.   Ladies 711's are 2650 at terminal 21. But I can get two pairs for 2800.   And I need gel shaving cream and I can't find it in Thailand. And I swear the razors are counterfeit or something as they don't cut my whiskers.  

I have also been bringing lots if coach purses from the outlet stores in US.  GF can make about 25% profit on them. 25 in two trips.  I've heard vitamins are a good item to bring to sell.  

Just about everything mentioned so far I can buy here, including good quality NZ cheese (Mainland).

There was a time when some things like Oxo cubes weren't available, but they are now and as TOPS and Tesco Lotus bring in a large range of UK stuff, and Villa Market have a good eclectic range then everything is close to hand.

Large size shoes are the exception though!

PS. Lindt dark chocolate with a hint of sea salt is fabulous and available all over!

Archived