Thai environment minister declares war on plastic bags at markets - D-Day July 21st

webfact

Thai environment minister declares war on plastic bags at markets - D-Day July 21st

d-day.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thailand has announced its latest "D-Day" in the war against litter.

This one is July 21st when the environment minister General Surasak Kanjanarat is declaring war on plastic bags.

In the initial face of the battle the Thai authorities will be conducting a charm offensive to stop traders and the public using so many plastic bags at fresh food markets nationwide.

Gen Surasak said yesterday that the country uses a staggering 45 billion bags a year.

Forty per cent of these are used at fresh food markets. That is around 18 billion bags.

So he has decided to start a campaign.

It is called: "Doing good from the heart. Less Taking, Less Giving, Less Using Plastic Bags".

Signage will be going up at 7,000 markets nationwide. The aim is to reduce plastic bag usage by 20% or 3.6 billion bags at markets by next year. There is also a target to reduce foam container usage by 10% by 2019.

Thai Rath also said in their story that some 400,000 convenience stores nationwide make up 30% of plastic bag usage or 13.5 billion bags annually.

No mention was made when the government might address the problem at these kind of stores.

Thaivisa notes that the term "sai thung" (put it in a bag) is one of the first expressions people learn when trying to master the Thai language.

May we suggest that people learn "may (tong) sai thung" (not (necessary to) use a bag) to help the campaign!

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-19

• Haha 2

stupid and nonsens thats all only blablabla

dont  try reduce  and so on,on  plasticbags

the problem is to deep

only solution, for people really want to do a change

passing a law now, to prohibite plasticbag use now and completly, as well use of plastic in disposabal articles ( incl bottles)

give the law a timeframe of 3 years to be started

thats given the industrie time to develop alternatives with a  law frame , that would alloud these investments. already there are alternative plastic factorys in place on a small scale here in thailand.

impose a tax on imports and production of pvc

on  the other hand  give tax atvantages to the alternative industrie under BOi

its easy to replace plastic if their is a will and strong support

but ,sorry to tell its hopsless in thailand, and maybe already to late.

i am just back from a third world country, where i have in 3 weeks less trash like in 2-3 days in thaland. why?  no plastic on markets and shops, supermarket charge nearly 1 usd for one plasticbag ( incomming for people er day is 2 usd) , alternativly  for 1 usd can buy on the market the ebst ever eat quality fish for the equal of one plasticbag !!  and the natural beaches was  99% waste free there!! ( was an island 1000 sqkm sized), the mainland have many problems too, but not with plastic, more exploitation of natural resources due to proverty and corruption)

Edited by lapamita
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, this is all fine. However, in Thailand people buy ready-made food which is sold in small plastc bags, how would you handle that?

How was it handled before the era of plastic bags?

[edit] Speaking from my own experience, which would have been back in the 70s when I was a young teen and started going grocery shopping with my mother, there were, of course, paper bags.  

Paper bags do take some getting used to.  They're stronger than plastic but you need to hold them from the bottom and sometimes use two hands if the bags is heavy. 

523278181-612x612.jpg.d041e6bd01450e41537268715df29062.jpg

However a single paper bag holds perhaps two to three, maybe even four times what will fit in a plastic bag.  When you're finished with it, it folds and stacks neatly.

As for street food, there were paper bags for that too.  This pic is from the 60s:

1580881242_mcdsbags.jpg.8497b899459c0e6c3efed56a98305d17.jpg

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

At Foodland or Tops where I sometimes go shopping, I have never seen a Thai person refuse even 1 plastic bag. Those customers are often rich and supposedly "well educated". 

What hope is there for this country if they don't understand the negative impact on their own environment?

Maybe they just don't care.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

That is all well and good but you also have to offer viable alternatives, take a look at all the street vendors and how they package their wares, it is all plastic, bags, containers, utensils etc 

Edited by smedly

3 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Then straws; how are we going to drink our cocktails and Thickshakes?

Did't have those back in the day either.  You'd think that's something a local startup could handle.  There's no shortage of renewable materials in Thailand that could be used for making durable, compostable straws.  

https://www.aardvarkstraws.com/

357783622_paperstraw.PNG.fbc079f82ee2dffb3f1781a0e1b3e73e.PNG

Admittedly the paper straws of yore didn't work very well, but today they'r being made with a much sturdier combination of paper/linen or other reinforcing material.  If that adds an extra 50 satang to the cost of the drink, then so be it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

At Foodland or Tops where I sometimes go shopping, I have never seen a Thai person refuse even 1 plastic bag. Those customers are often rich and supposedly "well educated". 

What hope is there for this country if they don't understand the negative impact on their own environment?

Maybe they just don't care.

Understand.....but it's universal almost....Australia just imposed a plastic bag ban at supermarkets....near riots was the initial result!

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

How was it handled before the era of plastic bags?

[edit] Speaking from my own experience, which would have been back in the 70s when I was a young teen and started going grocery shopping with my mother, there were, of course, paper bags.  

Paper bags do take some getting used to.  They're stronger than plastic but you need to hold them from the bottom and sometimes use two hands if the bags is heavy. 

523278181-612x612.jpg.d041e6bd01450e41537268715df29062.jpg

However a single paper bag holds perhaps two to three, maybe even four times what will fit in a plastic bag.  When you're finished with it, it folds and stacks neatly.

As for street food, there were paper bags for that too.  This pic is from the 60s:

1580881242_mcdsbags.jpg.8497b899459c0e6c3efed56a98305d17.jpg

Having worked in marketing for a very large paper manufacturing company I saw the transition from paper to plastic. It was fast and effective. Paper bag manufacturers shut down almost overnight. The large shopping bag shown in your photograph was referred to as the "check-out bag".

The change was brought about by the large supermarket chains demanding plastic bags which were more convenient and cheaper than paper. The supermarkets were well supported by the "greens" who don't like having any trees chopped down even though they might be plantation trees grown for that specific purpose.

The supermarket chains (a few countries excepted) have a "no care - no responsibility" policy and absolve themselves of any moralistic approach to helping fix the problem that plague other Asian countries like Thailand. 

Edited by Cadbury