UK to warn public every week over 'no-deal Brexit': The Times

webfact

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I think we are all to assume you are referring to Jacob Rees Mogg when you say "it will be 50 years before their will be any economic benefit" ps I have spelt 'their' and not 'there' as to not misquote you. Did you see the interview with JRM or did you just read what another member wrote. A link to what he actually did say would be of help to us all and very interesting I'm sure.

JRM hemmed and hawed and dare I say, hedged. He finally said "The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years."

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

JRM hemmed and hawed and dare I say, hedged. He finally said "The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years."

So you are verifying that he did not say "it will be 50 years before their will be any economic benefit". Do you consider there is a difference between what the poster said and what JRM said?

Just now, vogie said:

So you are verifying that he did not say "it will be 50 years before their will be any economic benefit". Do you consider there is a difference between what the poster said and what JRM said?

Yes, there is a difference. But it does mean that after 30 years and the UK still hasn't kept pace with the EU economically, JRM could still claim that doesn't mean his prediction was wrong. So are you defending his statement as it stands?

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Yes, there is a difference. But it does mean that after 30 years and the UK still hasn't kept pace with the EU economically, JRM could still claim that doesn't mean his prediction was wrong. So are you defending his statement as it stands?

Your first sentence will satisfy what I asked you, I see no reason why anyone would want to misquote JRM. But thank you for your response.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Your first sentence will satisfy what I asked you, I see no reason why anyone would want to misquote JRM. But thank you for your response.

And your response shows that you realize the JRM's statement is not defensible. 

And I did you the courtesy of answering your question. Apparently you don't feel bound by any reasonable sense of reciprocity. Or have you been assigned the role of the thaivisa.com prosecutor and it's only in your remit to ask questions and not to answer them?

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And your response shows that you realize the JRM's statement is not defensible. 

And I did you the courtesy of answering your question. Apparently you don't feel bound by any reasonable sense of reciprocity. Or have you been assigned the role of the thaivisa.com prosecutor and it's only in your remit to ask questions and not to answer them?

You answered my question and I thanked you.

You are putting words into my mouth and must know what I'm thinking.

Personally I find you very difficult to converse with, so better we leave it at that, eh.

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

You answered my question and I thanked you.

You are putting words into my mouth and must know what I'm thinking.

Personally I find you very difficult to converse with, so better we leave it at that, eh.

I suspect that I may be the culprit who brought the point to the table. My take on it is that he gave a typical politician's answer  - i.e. he doesn't know and therefore doesn't want to be held accountable if a prediction of manna from heaven within 24 hours fails to materialise, so he says something entirely vague. He is definitely a shrewd individual - I have seen no photos of him beside a big red bus.

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I suspect that I may be the culprit who brought the point to the table. My take on it is that he gave a typical politician's answer  - i.e. he doesn't know and therefore doesn't want to be held accountable if a prediction of manna from heaven within 24 hours fails to materialise, so he says something entirely vague. He is definitely a shrewd individual - I have seen no photos of him beside a big red bus.

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Hi RR, whatever answer he gave it was not what the poster suggested he gave, I merely asked if he had watched the interview, it would appear he hadn't. There was a vast difference in what JRM said and what the poster said, maybe he gets his information from other people posts, I don't know. 

But having said all that Martin Basher is a very skilled interviewer and he certainly gave JRM a hard time, but JRM is an highly skilled interviewee, I thought it was very entertaining.

But I can understand why the remain side dislikes JRM, but you are wise enough to understand why most leavers do like him.

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

Hi RR, whatever answer he gave it was not what the poster suggested he gave, I merely asked if he had watched the interview, it would appear he hadn't. There was a vast difference in what JRM said and what the poster said, maybe he gets his information from other people posts, I don't know. 

But having said all that Martin Basher is a very skilled interviewer and he certainly gave JRM a hard time, but JRM is an highly skilled interviewee, I thought it was very entertaining.

But I can understand why the remain side dislikes JRM, but you are wise enough to understand why most leavers do like him.

Yes both performers were very entertaining. But apparently JRM's comments are still not being defended by any Brexiteer in this thread..

13 hours ago, vogie said:

I think we are all to assume you are referring to Jacob Rees Mogg when you say "it will be 50 years before their will be any economic benefit" ps I have spelt 'their' and not 'there' as to not misquote you. Did you see the interview with JRM or did you just read what another member wrote. A link to what he actually did say would be of help to us all and very interesting I'm sure.

It was in the newspapers also Nigel said that "I never claimed we would be better off leaving the EU it's about getting back control".You may have to hold your nose and read the Independent or Guardian.

1 minute ago, adammike said:

It was in the newspapers also Nigel said that "I never claimed we would be better off leaving the EU it's about getting back control".You may have to hold your nose and read the Independent or Guardian.

I have watched the interview, you have misquoted JRM in the post I am refering to.

Just now, vogie said:

I have watched the interview, you have misquoted JRM in the post I am refering to.

I am not referring to the TV interview, he and others have said it or words to that effect to newspaper journalists.I know he said up to 30 years in one interview and 50 in another.Brexiteers lied or were economical with the truth.France will come to your rescue Macron said that the UK can cancel Brexit and stay in with the rebate etc etc,but if they leave then want to rejoin there will be no rebate etc,not sure if that means joining the Euro zone so don't quote me.

1 minute ago, adammike said:

I am not referring to the TV interview, he and others have said it or words to that effect to newspaper journalists.I know he said up to 30 years in one interview and 50 in another.Brexiteers lied or were economical with the truth.France will come to your rescue Macron said that the UK can cancel Brexit and stay in with the rebate etc etc,but if they leave then want to rejoin there will be no rebate etc,not sure if that means joining the Euro zone so don't quote me.

Can you show a link to your claim please, you mentioned the 50 year quote, there is really no need to go on about other material not relevent to your remark.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Video linked in post 121 above.

Why are you telling me this, it is your fellow poster that misquoted. I watched the video, I just wondered where he got his 'facts' from.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:13 AM, bristolboy said:

I hear this kind of tripe alot from Brexiteers. Tell us, what the mechanisms are these new world order regimes going to invoke that overrule the very detailed laws and regulation on how to make such changes. I guess the less you know, the more likely you are to believe such nonsense.

Surprised we don't see the arch devil Soros mentioned - code word for Jews in  these demented internet meme-fed minds. 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:35 AM, vogie said:

As I've said before, she (May) is trying to please everybody and she is pleasing no-one, but whilst we have people like JRM we have a little hope.

Yeah move your hedge fund to Eire , warn of serious storm clouds to come and say it could take 50 years for the benefits of Brexit to manifest itself. I like Moggie he has played a clever hand and will get rich on the back of it - those working class who lionise him need to read up more - and stop being played for the fools they are - anyways they will realise soon enough - I now want a Hard Brexit to teach them a rudimentary lesson in O'level economics  and the guile of the British class system - born to rule without dikdat but the million doffed caps of the serfs who bow on them passing. No need for military coups or 112 here .....

On 7/23/2018 at 10:32 AM, sandyf said:

How can the EU be described as intransigent when their response is generally dictated by an EU treaty.

Article 50 allows for a negotiated arrangement on the administrative issues of leaving the EU, never intended to amend the workings of the EU.

TM continues to try and circumvent the requirements of these treaties and then blames the EU when she hits the brick wall.

A classic example is goods and services, as far as the EU is concerned they are bound together under the Single Market Act, and for what they consider to be a very good reason. Why on earth should they go against the agreed policy of EU member states to provide greater benefit to a state that wants to leave.

Obviously there are those that think they should, those that want to take "ambitious" to a whole new level.

That's because the treaties are intransigent, until it suits the EU for them to be un petit peu flexible, non?

7 hours ago, adammike said:

No I can't be arsed.

Because you cannot, why don't you just admit you misquoted JRM. 

You made the erronious claim, however I will do your work for you, here is the video.

Michel Barnier effectively killed off Theresa May’s customs plan in Brussels on Thursday as he warned that the European Union would never accept British officials collecting duties on its behalf after Brexit.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/26/michel-barnier-shoots-theresa-mays-brexit-customs-plan/

Good.

I think we can no say that a '' No Deal Brexit '' is the way ahead.

Quit wasting time trying to negotiate and get on with leaving.

WTO rules it is from the 29 March 2019.

This one is for the remainers who for some reason, bravado, denial, stupidity or just an attempt at subverting a democratic decision, think that the UK are the only ones who are going to suffer.

France is preparing for a “brutal divorce” with the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit which would cause gridlock in Calais and every other European port, one of Emmanuel Macron’s senior ministers has warned.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/26/france-preparing-brutal-divorce-uk-paris-warns-no-deal-brexit/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

The deputy Irish PM,  Coveney has been very vocal about a '' No Deal Brexit '' and how the UK will suffer.

Does he have a master plan for Ireland's Gas supply after a '' No Deal Brexit '' ? Does he have a master plan for getting goods to and from mainland Europe ?

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Because you cannot, why don't you just admit you misquoted JRM. 

You made the erronious claim, however I will do your work for you, here is the video.

JRM - came from the heavens to save Brexit ..... give that man a silver spoon - nay stuff his mouth full of 'em. For he spaketh the truth (albeit in latin).  Don't worry plucky keyboard Brexiteers we shall have that unicorn before long and what a beauty it shall be...

nascitur enim quotidie folol

10 hours ago, nauseus said:

Wrong number.

It is strange that you don't provide any reliable source to back your statement...?

Actually, it should now be more than 12% with the new trade agreement with Japan.

31 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

JRM - came from the heavens to save Brexit ..... give that man a silver spoon - nay stuff his mouth full of 'em. For he spaketh the truth (albeit in latin).  Don't worry plucky keyboard Brexiteers we shall have that unicorn before long and what a beauty it shall be...

nascitur enim quotidie folol

Brexit, no problem. Just let his company manage your money by speculating on Brexit!

What! The working class has no money to invest? Too bad for them! ?

1 minute ago, candide said:

Brexit, no problem. Just let his company manage your money by speculating on Brexit!

What! The working class has no money to invest? Too bad for them! ?

They should have had better families , gone to better schools (preferably Eton) and accumulated wealth in their long lives - never mind he will kick out all the pesky Romanian crop pickers and let British lads have access to these jobs because he is a patriot and he likes his working man to call him guvnor and cherrily wave to him as he wafts by in his Bentley on the way to Dublin to keep siphoning money out of his beloved UK. 

Archived