UK to warn public every week over 'no-deal Brexit': The Times

webfact

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

"Give a man a stockpile of food and he’ll be fed for a week; give a man access to the Customs Union and Single Market, and he’ll be fed for the rest of his life."

Fake news! The government is already on the case, putting people's minds at rest.

foodbus.jpg

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone here still think Brexit is a good idea?

JRM says benefits won't be noticeable for 50 years!

It must be better to remain in exchange for improvements and retain our opt outs and rebates.

Chant of the moderates:-

What do we want?

Modest change

When do we want it?

When economic conditions permit.

So, this is more of idle musings of an American.

I seem to recall you all voted to be in the old European Community, or whatever it was called back then. I 'think' back then it was a little like NAFTA, essentially a free trade area without all the political baggage that goes along withe the current EU.

Why don't you just try to go back to something like that?

Then again, you guys actually signed up for Maastricht Treaty, which if I understand correctly paved the way for the political union you have today.

Sometimes you reap what you sow

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

It must be better to remain in exchange for improvements and retain our opt outs and rebates.

What do we want?

Modest change

When do we want it?

Well we all know that but you will never get through to the hard core Brexiteers.  They will always have their excuses.  If we go with May's weak deal then it will be because she was a remainer so didn't negotiate properly.  If we go with no deal then that will be May's fault because, as a remainer, she couldn't get a deal at all.  If Brexit gets scrapped because it is unworkable then guess what!  May scrapped it because she was a remainer all along.

9 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I seem to recall you all voted to be in the old European Community, or whatever it was called back then. I 'think' back then it was a little like NAFTA, essentially a free trade area without all the political baggage that goes along withe the current EU.

Then again, you guys actually signed up for Maastricht Treaty, which if I understand correctly paved the way for the political union you have today.

You are quite right.  Originally it was the common market and then it evolved into what it is today.  Britain were instrumental in much of that and were a major contributor to the changes although we did opt out when we didn't agree with the changes.  That is why we remained outside of the Euro and the Shenzhen zone.  But these days the EU desperately needs updating and it will come if enough people get behind it.  

15 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The political aspect was already ingrained in the Treaty of Rome but the EEC was broadly described as the "Common Market" in 1972 and 1975. There was no referendum given to the British people in 1992, when John Major signed the UK up to Masstricht; if there had been we might have been out then and saved a lot of hassle.  

30 minutes ago, Grouse said:

What do we want?

Modest change

When do we want it?

JRM didn't say that, you have misquoted him, but I guess you knew that anyway.

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

why your government triggered Article 50 before they actually decided what exactly they wanted to negotiate.

Generally in a business negotiation you agree what you want before you sit face to face at the table.

Exactly. One of these typical example where you can see what happens when politicians run the show. 

When companies sell/buy (parts of) a company, what do you think how much time and resources they spend on upfront assessment and planning to ensure minimal disruption on Day-1 and that the business in scope can actually survive standalone? Several rounds of various due diligence; negotiating warranties, conditions, and transition services into the purchase agreement; assessing what licenses, contracts, patents, resources, services, systems, people, etc. can be transferred and how; meticulous planning and execution of the transition, including several readiness checks to ensure disruption is minimal; focus on what’s absolut necessary first. 

The biggest of these transactions take many years to properly plan and execute. Just separating the existing IT system can take 1-2 years when done properly. Often the buyer will receive support from the seller in terms of services provided for up to 18-36 months, all agreed upfront. 

Yet the Brexit protagonists start the countdown with their heads in the sand? 

As dumbfounded as I am about my current POTUS, his antics, while generally stupid don't actually blow up the country.

You guys have taken 'blowing up the country' to a whole new level.

We can all only watch with bated breath

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

As dumbfounded as I am about my current POTUS, his antics, while generally stupid don't actually blow up the country.

You guys have taken 'blowing up the country' to a whole new level.

We can all only watch with bated breath

Quite literally, it will usher in the end of the UK, but that's another thread...

The original format & foundation of the 'Common Market' was a good idea in principle, however much as changed & the EU still refuses to self reform, many do not wish to be part of a communiry which ignores ita MS views but happy to just tskes its money. An example of leaver v remainer views.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I am but a stupid 'merican, but never have been able to understand why your government triggered Article 50 before they actually decided what exactly they wanted to negotiate.

Generally in a business negotiation you agree what you want before you sit face to face at the table.

This is like watching a Thai Lakorn....I predict lots of face slapping and screaming

Because it's politics, not business. And there was a lot of pressure on them from the electorate to do something. Had they dithered, they would have lost a huge amount of support. The referendum as written didn't allow for a planning period before invoking article 50.

And of course, at bottom, no how much time they had, those who looked soberly at Brexit and not through union jack tinted lenses, could see how unfortunate a task it was to disengage so thoroughly from the EU.

3 minutes ago, citybiker said:

The original format & foundation of the 'Common Market' was a good idea in principle, however much as changed & the EU still refuses to self reform, many do not wish to be part of a communiry which ignores ita MS views but happy to just tskes its money. An example of leaver v remainer views.

Yes LBC is full of opinionated presenters.  You have Dale and Farage batting for the Brexiteers and James O'Brien and Sheila Ferguson batting for the remainers.  Nick Ferrari sways one way and then the other and the rest remain as confused as the rest of us!

Yes LBC is full of opinionated presenters.  You have Dale and Farage batting for the Brexiteers and James O'Brien and Sheila Ferguson batting for the remainers.  Nick Ferrari sways one way and then the other and the rest remain as confused as the rest of us!
I like your analysis there, the Today programme & R4 in generally has more balanced debate.

I like JHB, who's another strongly opinionated. Along with JRM.

33 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Do you mean the breaking up of the UK?  If it's a no deal scenario then I think that would be a real possibility.  

Yes, I firmly believe that it is coming. A survation poll last week showed support for the EU in Scotland has risen from 63% at the time of the Brexit referendum to 73% now; a poll on independence earlier in the month showed support around 47% and that is without a referendum being called.

Both the Tories and Labour are having a horrendous time in Scotland at the moment: Richard Leonard, the new Labour leader, is struggling to make his mark and the SNP has a wealth of labour inaction and corruption in Scotland to point to, plus also the mess that they are making in Wales. The Tories have their flip-flopping over Brexit and now the constant murmur of the so-called dark money that the DUP used to fund Scottish tory MPs' election campaigns won't go away.

Of course the SNP is using every opportunity to exploit the weakness in the Westminster government, but despite what is being published constantly in the press, they are actually making a reasonable fist of running Scotland. They appear to be very competent compared to the madness of our current Westminster government.

I know that social media is no true barometer of the real world, but I try to follow a broad spectrum of views on Twitter: I see, almost daily, people comment on having voted no in 2014 but have decided that enough is enough; I have seen maybe 1 or 2 accounts suggesting that they have gone from Yes to No.

The strength of the Union has been shown for what it truly is. The Vow (the last minute plea for No by Gordon Brown and the Daily Record) contained a lot of promises for a Scotland in the UK - those have not come to fruition in any way. David Cameron said, "Don't leave us, lead us." Again, that was shown to mean about as much as "Strong and stable".

Final point - it is not just in Scotland. In Wales the nationalists are also starting to agitate, and using the same Yes playbook.

EDIT: apologies, Dunroaming, I just realised that your second sentence was a statement and not a question, therefore I am sure I posted nothing new for you. But I shall leave as maybe it will be of interest to others.

22 minutes ago, citybiker said:

I like your analysis there, the Today programme & R4 in generally has more balanced debate.

I like JHB, who's another strongly opinionated. Along with JRM.

Yes more balanced but understandably.  LBC is a phone in station and relies completely on people doing just that.  Consequently the presenters need to be confrontational in their statements to get the phones ringing.  They then have presenters from both sides ensuring that they get the maximum coverage.  A bit like booing form the stalls while others cheer from the gallery!  It's a clever format and the reason that LBC is now nationwide.

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

is that blowjob in the centre handing out sandwiches to the hungry masses?

Only while the cameras are rolling - as soon as they stop, the sandwiches are being packed up and sent to Panama.

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Only while the cameras are rolling - as soon as they stop, the sandwiches are being packed up and sent to Panama.

right, if lifted by air they might still be fresh and still soft enough to stain the Panama papers

now,

your entry above re the breaking up of UK,

Scotland you desribed, re Wales you just said they have started a leave-book

What about NI?in this picture

twice during this year, I have read elaborate articles re the Shetlands, just can't remember where,

but apparently, the idea of separatism and getting on alone is increasing in the Shetlands

they want no UK

they want no Scotland

3 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

right, if lifted by air they might still be fresh and still soft enough to stain the Panama papers

now,

your entry above re the breaking up of UK,

Scotland you desribed, re Wales you just said they have started a leave-book

What about NI?in this picture

twice during this year, I have read elaborate articles re the Shetlands, just can't remember where,

but apparently, the idea of separatism and getting on alone is increasing in the Shetlands

they want no UK

they want no Scotland

NI - I have to admit I have next to no knowledge of the politics there other than what I read in the press, but the prospect of things going sour there scares the hell out of me. The Orange Order are in Scotland at the moment on their annual walking holidays and the fervour amongst them for queen and country seems to be as undiminished as ever. Passions definitely run high.

The Shetlands is an odd one for me; I have never really seen the origin of this claim that they would break away from Scotland to join England in the event of independence; I wonder was that part of project fear. I am not sure they have ever elected a Tory in my lifetime, but the regular return of Lib Dem MPs suggests that they like the middle ground. At the 2017 GE, the LibDems took 50% of the votes, the SNP were second with 30% then Lab with 11% and the Tories with 9%.  I am not sure what that means in terms of the integrity of an independent Scotland, but I suspect they are not as willing to flee as some suggested.

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Fake news! The government is already on the case, putting people's minds at rest.

foodbus.jpg

Who photoshopped that, Joseph Goebbels and why is the 'E' stuck on the head of Douglas Carsgill. ??

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

NI - I have to admit I have next to no knowledge of the politics there other than what I read in the press, but the prospect of things going sour there scares the hell out of me. The Orange Order are in Scotland at the moment on their annual walking holidays and the fervour amongst them for queen and country seems to be as undiminished as ever. Passions definitely run high.

The Shetlands is an odd one for me; I have never really seen the origin of this claim that they would break away from Scotland to join England in the event of independence; I wonder was that part of project fear. I am not sure they have ever elected a Tory in my lifetime, but the regular return of Lib Dem MPs suggests that they like the middle ground. At the 2017 GE, the LibDems took 50% of the votes, the SNP were second with 30% then Lab with 11% and the Tories with 9%.  I am not sure what that means in terms of the integrity of an independent Scotland, but I suspect they are not as willing to flee as some suggested.

well,

the way I understood what I did read was that there is an increasing, in size, movement in the Shetlands wanting to break

away from the UK, and become a sovereign state

(no UK and no England and no Scotland on the menu)

as far as I gathered the movement has close to 50% support among the islanders

but by all means, a pinch of salt etc

where I have this from are two researched feature articles in newspapers

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I believe that is actually the true shape of his head, the result of his lobotomy

And next you will be telling me why the lady to the right of the Hon Boris has got a flat head.??

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

well,

the way I understood what I did read was that there is an increasing, in size, movement in the Shetlands wanting to break

away from the UK, and become a sovereign state

(no UK and no England and no Scotland on the menu)

as far as I gathered the movement has close to 50% support among the islanders

but by all means, a pinch of salt etc

where I have this from are two researched feature articles in newspapers

I just checked Google and they have a population of 22,000 people. I am not sure just how viable they would be as an independent state with so few people, but they have only been part of Scotland since the 15th Century so how easy it would be to disengage, I am not sure. But I am all for decentralisation of power to the regions - maybe there is a different way. I would hope that an independent Scotland would not simply replicate the systems and processes of the UK.

Archived