UK to warn public every week over 'no-deal Brexit': The Times

webfact

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Quite literally, it will usher in the end of the UK, but that's another thread...

3 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Do you mean the breaking up of the UK?  If it's a no deal scenario then I think that would be a real possibility.  

Bottom line for the uber Brexiteers is that they will live with that as a necessary price for perceived national control of immigration. In addition they are betting that Scotland will balk at the fence as before. Northern Ireland? Well that one is sort of beyond them but a reason why the Tory nut wing hesitates for now to stick the knife in to May. They recoil like Dracula having the Ireland repercussions hanging around their necks like a string of garlic.

It's interesting to note too that quite apart from the obvious detrimental effects on the economy, Brexit is diminishing the English laguage .... when UK became a member of the EU , English quickly, replaced French as the the lingua franca....it is becoming quite clear that this status will be lost German and French vie for this position.

Even now in Thailand there is a shift of emphasis to Chinese as people realise that a manor trading destination will no longer have English as the key language.English language schools are having their worst years ever in a shrinking market.

And throughout Europe, British English teachers will have to compete for work permits with other non EU teachers as American English becomes, the only form worth learning....but as English as, lingua Franca recedes that market will continue to shrink.

57 minutes ago, vogie said:

Do you know if you say oranges really slowly it sounds like gullible.

In two years not a single reasoned argument from a Brexiteer......least of all one that suggests anything at all will IMPROVE with Brexit.......

How could anyone in their right mind suggest that UK is at present a better country than it was 3 years ago....they've reduced the nation to proverbial rubble.

They started off by falsely claiming we'd all be so much better off that they could put billions into the NHS etc ... and now they're reduced to claiming that government plans to stockpile food and medicine and fears of civil unrest are just myths......Yet it is their own media promulgating these stories....they really need to make up their minds...for heaven's sake, less of the gainsaying just tell us,something good about Brexit!

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It's interesting to note too that quite apart from the obvious detrimental effects on the economy, Brexit is diminishing the English laguage .... when UK became a member of the EU , English quickly, replaced French as the the lingua franca....it is becoming quite clear that this status will be lost German and French vie for this position.

Even now in Thailand there is a shift of emphasis to Chinese as people realise that a manor trading destination will no longer have English as the key language.English language schools are having their worst years ever in a shrinking market.

And throughout Europe, British English teachers will have to compete for work permits with other non EU teachers as American English becomes, the only form worth learning....but as English as, lingua Franca recedes that market will continue to shrink.

Have you a link to your accusation that Brexit is diminishing the English laguage. ???

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Have you a link to your accusation that Brexit is diminishing the English laguage. ???

The sign of someone without an argument or any knowledge...ask for a link......if you don't believe me, find a link that contradicts me and don't be so lazy.

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The sign of someone without an argument or any knowledge...ask for a link......if you don't believe me, find a link that contradicts me and don't be so lazy.

I would certainly never contradict you, you are a fountain of knowledge.

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

No. That's the sign of someone making an unsupported assertion. Claims require evidence.Making other people your fact checkers is laziness.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

About as interesting as a fly on a buffalo. 

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

So no link then?

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

In two years not a single reasoned argument from a Brexiteer......least of all one that suggests anything at all will IMPROVE with Brexit.......

How could anyone in their right mind suggest that UK is at present a better country than it was 3 years ago....they've reduced the nation to proverbial rubble.

They started off by falsely claiming we'd all be so much better off that they could put billions into the NHS etc ... and now they're reduced to claiming that government plans to stockpile food and medicine and fears of civil unrest are just myths......Yet it is their own media promulgating these stories....they really need to make up their minds...for heaven's sake, less of the gainsaying just tell us,something good about Brexit!

Fish.

10 hours ago, vogie said:

JRM didn't say that, you have misquoted him, but I guess you knew that anyway.

I thought he said 50 years. If that's incorrect, what was the precise quote. I heard 50 years on Radio 4

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Yes, I firmly believe that it is coming. A survation poll last week showed support for the EU in Scotland has risen from 63% at the time of the Brexit referendum to 73% now; a poll on independence earlier in the month showed support around 47% and that is without a referendum being called.

Both the Tories and Labour are having a horrendous time in Scotland at the moment: Richard Leonard, the new Labour leader, is struggling to make his mark and the SNP has a wealth of labour inaction and corruption in Scotland to point to, plus also the mess that they are making in Wales. The Tories have their flip-flopping over Brexit and now the constant murmur of the so-called dark money that the DUP used to fund Scottish tory MPs' election campaigns won't go away.

Of course the SNP is using every opportunity to exploit the weakness in the Westminster government, but despite what is being published constantly in the press, they are actually making a reasonable fist of running Scotland. They appear to be very competent compared to the madness of our current Westminster government.

I know that social media is no true barometer of the real world, but I try to follow a broad spectrum of views on Twitter: I see, almost daily, people comment on having voted no in 2014 but have decided that enough is enough; I have seen maybe 1 or 2 accounts suggesting that they have gone from Yes to No.

The strength of the Union has been shown for what it truly is. The Vow (the last minute plea for No by Gordon Brown and the Daily Record) contained a lot of promises for a Scotland in the UK - those have not come to fruition in any way. David Cameron said, "Don't leave us, lead us." Again, that was shown to mean about as much as "Strong and stable".

Final point - it is not just in Scotland. In Wales the nationalists are also starting to agitate, and using the same Yes playbook.

EDIT: apologies, Dunroaming, I just realised that your second sentence was a statement and not a question, therefore I am sure I posted nothing new for you. But I shall leave as maybe it will be of interest to others.

I was at Dalwhinnie Distillery today at the top of  Drumochter pass. I agree with your analysis RR. Scotland's looking terrific right now, new Forth Road Bridge and all. Leave the UK and join the EU as a separate state. The whole place just feels more like a Northern European state than England.

8 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

right, if lifted by air they might still be fresh and still soft enough to stain the Panama papers

now,

your entry above re the breaking up of UK,

Scotland you desribed, re Wales you just said they have started a leave-book

What about NI?in this picture

twice during this year, I have read elaborate articles re the Shetlands, just can't remember where,

but apparently, the idea of separatism and getting on alone is increasing in the Shetlands

they want no UK

they want no Scotland

Norway

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

I thought he said 50 years. If that's incorrect, what was the precise quote. I heard 50 years on Radio 4

I have posted the link twice on brexit threads, seek and ye shall find. It has been discussed many times with your buddies, I'm very surprised you havn't seen it.

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

14 hours ago, vogie said:

Its good to know that the uber Brexiteers do not hold an absolute monopoly on crackpot ideas. Remain has its fair share too!

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

The English language is most frequently used as the 'International' language as a result of the USA being the most important power nowadays.

If the UK leaves the EU I doubt anyone would have any problem with the Germans and French fighting to replace 'English' (as the lingua franca spoken within the eu) with their own language - but I doubt this will change anything on the international stage.

9 hours ago, Grouse said:

I was at Dalwhinnie Distillery today at the top of  Drumochter pass. I agree with your analysis RR. Scotland's looking terrific right now, new Forth Road Bridge and all. Leave the UK and join the EU as a separate state. The whole place just feels more like a Northern European state than England.

I spend my time both in Scotland and Thailand. I agree that Scotland shares many values with decent liberal Northern European countries that England no longer appears to do.  I am a Yes to leave UK voter. I find the Anglocentric view of the world no longer possible to stomach. While there are many personal family and friendly ties that link Scotland and England - which will remain - there is no longer a need for Scotland to be - to all intents and purposes - another English colony,  ruled by the mind bogglingly inadequate MPs in Westminster. The English do indeed, generally have a finer sense of self deprecating humour, IMHO, than most other countries in Europe, in the circumstances this is just as well.

But break up of the UK apart, the overwhelming argument against Brexit, is simply a business one. As a manufacturer and exporter for over 30 years, I am totally horrified by the time it takes to make changes to quite simple export/import paperwork. This lost time applied to business nationally makes a huge dent in our GDP.  The prospect of this sort of change on a UK/EU customs level is a nightmare for business and will inevitably cause vast damage to our economy. Whether JRM said 50 years to reap a Brexit benefit  or not, it seems a fair estimate.

28 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The English language is most frequently used as the 'International' language as a result of the USA being the most important power nowadays.

If the UK leaves the EU I doubt anyone would have any problem with the Germans and French fighting to replace 'English' (as the lingua franca spoken within the eu) with their own language - but I doubt this will change anything on the international stage.

Actually, it might even help promote English as the neutral lingua franca of the EU since it would no longer be associated with a major player.

52 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

(forget the lingua franca bit)

many would have problems with that

in the EU all languages of the member states are official languages and shall in theory be used in all meetings

however, SATANG!, thst would be extremely costly, so depending on the nature/level of the meeting

all languages may boil down to english-french-german or simply english

skipping E in favour of F or G would not be acceptable

since the majority of participants do not command F or G

me thinks

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

English prevails internationally mainly because it is the default language for the world of computing.  Also the preferred language for pop songs (?).  Leaving the EU or not will not change that.  In China English is the favoured language and many believe that because of that Mandarin has lost it's edge and will be further eroded.  For that reason we stopped our son's mandarin lessons.  It is no coincidence that most of the educated Chinese young have given themselves English names.

I have been doing business in China for over twenty years and the language barrier gets easier to bridge all the time.  I think you will find the increase in Mandarin signage in Thailand is due to the vastly increased numbers of Chinese tourists.

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I spend my time both in Scotland and Thailand. I agree that Scotland shares many values with decent liberal Northern European countries that England no longer appears to do.  I am a Yes to leave UK voter. I find the Anglocentric view of the world no longer possible to stomach. While there are many personal family and friendly ties that link Scotland and England - which will remain - there is no longer a need for Scotland to be - to all intents and purposes - another English colony,  ruled by the mind bogglingly inadequate MPs in Westminster. The English do indeed, generally have a finer sense of self deprecating humour, IMHO, than most other countries in Europe, in the circumstances this is just as well.

But break up of the UK apart, the overwhelming argument against Brexit, is simply a business one. As a manufacturer and exporter for over 30 years, I am totally horrified by the time it takes to make changes to quite simple export/import paperwork. This lost time applied to business nationally makes a huge dent in our GDP.  The prospect of this sort of change on a UK/EU customs level is a nightmare for business and will inevitably cause vast damage to our economy. Whether JRM said 50 years to reap a Brexit benefit  or not, it seems a fair estimate.

Good post.  My business involves importing from Asia and exporting to (mainly) Europe and the USA although there is now a growing demand from the far east as well.  We now live in England because of our son's education and will remain here until that is completed.  However I have re-structured and moved my business base from the UK to Europe.  That will come into effect at the end of this year if Britain continues on it's current suicidal Brexit route. 

If Scotland were to go for independence and join the EU I would move my business there in a heartbeat!

17 hours ago, kwilco said:

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

50 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

English prevails internationally mainly because it is the default language for the world of computing.  Also the preferred language for pop songs (?).  Leaving the EU or not will not change that.  In China English is the favoured language and many believe that because of that Mandarin has lost it's edge and will be further eroded.  For that reason we stopped our son's mandarin lessons.  It is no coincidence that most of the educated Chinese young have given themselves English names.

I have been doing business in China for over twenty years and the language barrier gets easier to bridge all the time.  I think you will find the increase in Mandarin signage in Thailand is due to the vastly increased numbers of Chinese tourists.

So you agree that the original post was ridiculous?

36 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

So you agree that the original post was ridiculous?

Are you addressing that at me?  If so I don't think that any post is ridiculous (well not many anyway).  People post based on their experience and everyone's viewpoint is different and rightly so.  The only posts that don't hold water are the ones that are based purely on ignorance.

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

You should be a tourist agent. Oh wait!........

Anyway, I'm in HK right now waiting for Sterling to drop on a disorderly Hard Brexit.

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

enjoy your haggis

and nips

my brunch today; way superior to anything you'll get in Scotland

It seems that the, arguments for Brexit have gone from vague feelings of nationalism and racism to the inevitable result of a failing dogma, the hairshirt and masochism stance.... notably as, used by successive dictators as their plans and schemes are shown to be unworkable and the damage they do is increasingly revealed.

...and this is from a Brexiteers FB page!

38060894_10156859055293623_8436295305355329536_o.jpg

Archived