Leaving Thailand after 13 Years..

markusss

10 hours ago, car720 said:

The best that I can say is that in my opinion the Chinese girls are Thai girls who have learned sophistication.  In other words just as accommodating but not so banal.  An English teacher in China is paid more and is better respected.  Marry a Chinese girl and you will be set for life financially.

Thanks for the tips!

Great reading. My mate returned to Oz ,Fremantle, to live after 15 years in LOS. April was warm, May was warm, June, got cold so he has decided to return where he can keep warm, afford to live in a nice house and afford beer and cigs whenever he wants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daveyh said:

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't right? .......... I've been here now for 15yrs. It's been relatively trouble free visa wise as I'm here on a "retirement visa". Also, I arrived when the baht was around 74-78baht/GBP so life was really good cash wise doing almost anything that took your fancy in "tinzeltown". Now it's around the 43-44 baht/GBP I'm still very fortunate to qualify for the yearly visa from the pensions I accumulated during my working life. I've considered leaving Thailand many times, but other expats I've known over the past years have tried it, returned with horror stories, hence I've remained here & just travelled to PI, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam etc on trips using a multiple entry visa.

These past years I've seen many changes too. Most of us do not like change as it interferes mostly with our daily lives. However, many farangs have indeed now left, which really has hit the quality of life here for the retirees who remain. All the mates, friends & social gatherings have disappeared & this is a great shame. I think in the main the exchange rate was largely to blame for pensioners, but the stringent Immigration requirements for visas here also add to the difficulties of living here, hence we have lost a major part of our expat community.

Quality of life here is still "what you make it". That's one thing Thailand allows you to do ............ make your own way & do what you want. It's a country where infact "anything goes" ......... as long as it's legal. As long as you have your licence to drive & tax/insurance is up to date I've found the police very easy to deal with when stopped at a check point. If I'm speeding etc I pay the fine & move on ........... problem dealt with ........ no lengthy wait for a court appearance. Brilliant.

I do however, find that society here has changed dramatically over the years & although the "loss of face' has been with us for as long as I can remember it's evident that politeness is definitely "out of the window', especially in Pattaya with the general public. I avoid shopping like the plague as shop keepers seem to be so aggressive towards foreigners ....... "what you want" or "up to you" & seem to resent the fact of you being there. It's as if they are saying ......... " don't waste my time, get what you want .... I'm in the middle of a game on my ipad"! If you ask for anything it's a "no have" or you are being troublesome ............. my time to leave! Ha! I realise that this is mostly due to the mindset of these people, but it does annoy you. Hence, I give it a miss.

Thai's are definitely fun loving people if you want to throw a party. Depending on how much you are going to spend it can turn a quiet gathering into a riot within minutes as Thai girls cannot hold their liquor! If you are lonely at home you can always find female company downtown to brighten up the day. I think going out, being polite to everyone & generally being kind to those you meet will stand you in good stead here ............. seldom will you fall foul of the aggressive behaviour that's so easy found if you don't stay alert. Getting really "pissed out of your head" is a "no no" as you are quaranteed to end up without cash & sleeping it off somewhere. It's a really great place to retire to & I have absolutely no regrets moving here ........ long may it continue.

I'm a Brit, served my country for 30+yrs in the military, plus other HMS jobs & retired here. I've not been back to the UK at all & I have no intention of doing so. Too many bad memories, which I'm reminded of daily due to the unfair judicial system there. The country seems to have gone completely downhill since & is in crisis now more than ever. My only regret is that I must continue to pay tax on all my UK earnings, which then seem to be continually squandered in benefits to all the " wafes & strays" that enter the country, who do not deserve it, but it's sanctioned by an inept government. I honestly regret serving my country now ..... what a complete waste of time that was! I may be a bitter Brit, but I'm proud to be an expat. I voted with my feet ............ I wish everyone would threaten to leave the UK unless the government starts to "get their shit together" ......... then perhaps I'd consider coming home to visit.

Well said..Wise words indeed

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 6:18 PM, markusss said:

Great points made here. It's good to read such a positive report. I need all the encouragement I can get at this point. While I don't have a wife or children here, Thailand will always be a part of who I am. The ironic thing is Thailand is the place where I matured and developed real survival skills in terms of taking better care of myself & growing as a person. It's important to remember why I left Australia in the first place. For me it was a sense of adventure, a lust for life, and a need for more than what Australian suburban life could ever provide. I also left drug addiction behind and through language acquisition I found my life and outlook in general to be so much more positive, inspiring & rewarding, to which I continue to this day. I'm not going back the same person I was so I feel ready & determined to use better life choices than the ones I made previously when I lived in Australia. I intend to keep my love for Thailand going through vlogging. I really don't want to lose my language ability which I worked so hard at and was a huge part of me being able to leave my drug dependency behind for good. 

If you go back to the same place where you've lived as an addict, please be careful. A few negative things could happen and you're back where you were before. Best of luck, whatever your decision will be. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, CanuckThai said:

I had a conversation about this, with my neighbor (also farang) and his wife (Thai) this week when we ran into each other, at the grocery store.  

We weren't bashing Thailand, but definitely agreed that the panache is lost over time (for him and I).   We are at different stages (him being retired, myself still working), but both here long enough to see/experience enough of the + and -.   ...and the - can begin to outweigh the + once the jungle fever wears off.   

He joked a bit and said, if anything ever happened to his wife (he winked at her), he'd pack a carry-on bag (abandon everything) and be on the first plane to.....  Even his wife, says the only thing she misses when they're not in Thailand is the food.   

Somtham?

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 7:20 AM, james1995 said:

I don't get it.  I realize you might get tired of living abroad after awhile, but I think most guys would want to return to Thailand given the choice.  I'm packing my bags next week and got a one way flight booked.  Looks like we're changing places, mate.

james 1995? Were you born in that year? If so, then you might not even understand what the OP and a few others are trying to say.

There'll be the day when somebody will change places with you. Only a matter of time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Fortunate for me, I have a high skill and advanced education and could move right back into corporate America, buy a house, cars and all the other luxuries of the western first world.

Well one luxury that you can't get in the Western world is to have several Thai girls 30 years younger willing to jump all over you at your beck-&-call. I've talked to well-heeled guys in Florida who would gladly trade the luxury house and car for that luxury.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, meechai said:

<snip>

Ah...I didn't want those stinkin high hanging grapes I cant reach anyway ? I would never go for those grapes 555

Instead keep a toe in whatever country you came from

<snip>

There ain't no such thing as high hanging grapes.

Image result for grape vineyard

And I only have ten toes. Which one do you think I should leave behind?

18 hours ago, Batty said:

I feel like I miss my own people.  Quite often 'my own people' here in Thailand seem odd, sometimes bitter, you meet a new friend here and somewhere not too far down the line he turns out to be a complete cock.  That seems to be a trait of ex-pat life as far as I can muster.

This is particularly well said and, sadly, I have experienced the same too many times to remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What is good when having a EU passport is to be able to move to any of 28 countries and live there without visa. Who would be stupid enough to only go where he is born is beyond understanding for me.

And it's also really good to live alone or with girlfriends without kids, the world has no limit.

Sad for the ones who put themselves in chain but you looked for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poottrong said:

I never understood the argument that things are getting more expensive here. Anyone checked into the West lately? Money just goes way further here although I stick to local tucker and lead a simple life - by choice.

The main reason was a currency drop for me - an average of 29 baht down to 24 is a lot of spending power. That was the loss to me of a weeks grocery shopping when I was single. To anyone, that is a pretty big loss.

• Like 1