Cave group to be ordained into monkhood for nine days

webfact

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Just wondering who will get the rights to make a movie out this saga where non buddhist kids are 'introduced' to a buddhist indoctrination and teaching...

It will go to the 'Buddhists R Us' group

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Totally wrong on many levels . On one side the religion aspect as discussed above. On the other , I thought they were supposed to go back to their families and normal life (that didn't last long did it).

Are sure you're not thinking of a faulty lift/elevator?

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

without being forced to become monks.

Who said that they are being forced? I think you demean their ability to choose for themselves, and their esprit de corps 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If this hadn't turned into a circus before, it sure has now. Unfortunately for the kids this is going to be milked
for all it is worth. Sad!!

In more ways than one, they did run away from home and join the circus.
Bring in the clowns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Shouldn't these lads going back to school and pick-up some normal life again?

Legally they have to give a School 90 days notice before doing the Monk performance. Probably be ignored in this case as  they are too newsworthy to delay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

How come all thirteen are becoming monks.

I thought one of them was Christian, or is he ambidextrous?

Buddhism accepts other religions, so yes the ambidextrous are welcomed.  You can be a good Buddhist  without even knowing what Buddhism is.   Some dogs are terrific Buddhists according to The Dali Lamma, but it is not common, according to him

Just hope there will be an end of the hoopla some time.  The movie about the cave rescue will turn it a movie about everyone wanting to cash in. 

18 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

The notice says they are being ordained as novices.  Ordained as in, shaved heads, orange robes, etc.  Believe me, it's no where near like a yoga retreat.

cultured yoga retreat - is that the fermented version?

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Their isn't a lot of things explicitly forbidden in Christianity, but worshiping other spirits is definitely one of them. This would cause tremendous issues of conscience for any practicing Christian. But what's a stateless boy in the spotlight of a Buddhist country going to do? Say no? Nasty business.

Didn't realise that paying respect to Buddha as a teacher was worshipping a spirit and besides is anyone forcing any nasty anti - Christian  practices on anyone?

There are many practicing ( whatever that means) Christians who spend time in Buddhist wats enjoying the tranquility and the ideas and thoughts of Buddha - do they then emerge as screwed up Christians. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1