Pattaya taxi drivers set to recommend 100 baht flag fall - three times more than Bangkok

webfact

I'm trying to understand why Pattaya taxi drivers believe it's more expensive to live in Pattaya than Bangkok?  I think it's comparable.  Traffic isn't any worse.  

Bangkok taxi drivers are very underpaid.  So much so that one who takes a direct route without any direction from myself gets a significant tip.  Taxi drivers in both cities should be paid the same for base fare as well as per km.  60-80 baht start plus 10 baht per km seems fair.  

Bottom line, even if an agreement is sorted out nothing will come of it unless meter usage has significant fines and penalties that are enforced.  

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 9:54 AM, Jingthing said:

Yes of course but with the transport "mafia" being so firmly entrenched here that's just too much to realistically hope for.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have the official rules set, so that there is not the same opportunity for them to make money and force them try to get their claws in elsewhere or even better, untrench them and get them off to jail. Just a pity that most of the time the police have their hand in the process too ?

One can dream - LOL!

On 7/25/2018 at 2:15 PM, AlexCanada said:

I'm trying to understand why Pattaya taxi drivers believe it's more expensive to live in Pattaya than Bangkok?  I think it's comparable.  Traffic isn't any worse.  

Bangkok taxi drivers are very underpaid.  So much so that one who takes a direct route without any direction from myself gets a significant tip.  Taxi drivers in both cities should be paid the same for base fare as well as per km.  60-80 baht start plus 10 baht per km seems fair.  

Bottom line, even if an agreement is sorted out nothing will come of it unless meter usage has significant fines and penalties that are enforced.  

I would actually think that Pattaya is cheaper to live in? It is for the 'working' girls.

I do know one taxi driver in BKK well and it is really tough for them to make money. For me I wouldn't have a problem with slightly more expensive fares in BKK. They are fantastic value at the moment, but I absolutely agree that the same sort of rates should apply in Pattaya too,  with notable penalties for drivers who try to skip the meter or do the wrong, long route.

I do try to take a pick of their license in case of probs and if good, tip well in BKK.

Edited by w94005m
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, w94005m said:

I do try to take a pick of their license in case of probs and if good, tip well in BKK.

That must be an American thing , I never tip here,  If the trip is 90 baht I give 100 .  What do you give (tip well) ?  another 100 ? 50% tip ? 

On 7/24/2018 at 5:30 AM, Horace said:
Why do Pattaya taxi drivers think they re entitled to three times the amount charged by Bangkok taxi drivers?  

The costs of car maintenance, fuel, etc., are essentially the same in Pattaya as Bangkok.  So why this major difference in the regulated price?

One difference immediately comes to mind.  In Bangkok, Thais use taxis all of the time.  Most taxi rides in Bangkok are transporting Thais from one locale to another.  No so in Pattaya.  The primary users of taxis in Pattaya will be foreigners.  That is the only difference I can see.

And, as we all know, foreigners, are expected to pay substantially more than Thais for anything in Thailand.  Double standards.  I can't think of anything else that explains this major difference on the regulated price.

Smaller market. They wouldn't make a living on 35 baht starting price.

100 thb for 2km for up to 4 people? Don't see anything wrong with that... That's cheaper than 2 motorcycles. In London you'd be paying 700 baht for a 2km ride.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by reenatinnakor