Retirement extension a breeze.

giddyup

On 7/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, giddyup said:

Yes, but did that 45 minutes also include getting the letter from the bank?

What about the ride from bank to Jomtien soi 5 office, did you include that? In a thriller like this it is nuances that build up the tension, small things.

Just saying visit to Immigration took 45 min is exciting, no doubt,  still a nice sub plot would help to keep people on the edge of their seats, for example, how was traffic, was it hot that day, was it raining etc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

What about the ride from bank to Jomtien soi 5 office, did you include that? In a thriller like this it is nuances that build up the tension, small things.

Just saying visit to Immigration took 45 min is exciting, no doubt,  still a nice sub plot would help to keep people on the edge of their seats, for example, how was traffic, was it hot that day, was it raining etc

Just to be absolutely clear and put all further questions to bed, it was 50 minutes in total from the time I entered the bank on Sukhumvit to the time I left immigration on Soi 5, inclusive of travelling time. I have now set the bar and thrown down the gauntlet.

• Haha 1

A nice story but what other docs did you need and how long had the cash been in the accoun? I like positive stories.  One time I did my 90 day renewal in less than 3 minutes. Pattaya.  A well oiled machine. 

Edited by The manic

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

super easy.

Bangkok Bank letter showing funds in fixed account. 30 minutes. 200 baht. Update passbooks that day.

passport. house lease. print out of google map to my house from immigration office.

fill out form. (you can do it at home)    

copies and photo at immigration. nice lady put everything in order for me. 153 baht.

wait for 30 minutes. 30 minutes later done.

1900 baht plus 3800 baht multi reentry.

just don't think about how inefficient the process is, relax and be super friendly to everyone. And dress nicely.   

Nice.

3 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Pics of eye candy or it didn't happen. 

4 hours ago, The manic said:

A nice story but what other docs did you need and how long had the cash been in the accoun? I like positive stories.  One time I did my 90 day renewal in less than 3 minutes. Pattaya.  A well oiled machine. 

I got tht beat........I got my residence stamp in about a minute then had a lunch date with the pretty Immigration lady.  All in the same day!!

I can only sing praises for the Immigration system at Soi 5 Jomtien. In the fifteen years I've been here the waiting time has really been streamlined, especially for retirees on a retirement visa. Normally my waiting time when I report for 90 days is around 10-30 mins (last few reports) & the last 1yr renewal took me about 30 mins max in/out. A very good service I think. However, I do do my retirement using the "Embassy Letter" system, which is a real "doddle", but expensive when you include the visa fee of 1,900 baht. I've also recently downloaded the app called "90 Day Reporter" on my mobile, which I intend to use before my next report , which is 19th Aug 2018 ........... even less stress if it works. I gotta give Immigration a "thumbs up" for trying to make the system better for everyone ............... fingercrossed it works eh?

29 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

I can only sing praises for the Immigration system at Soi 5 Jomtien. In the fifteen years I've been here the waiting time has really been streamlined, especially for retirees on a retirement visa. Normally my waiting time when I report for 90 days is around 10-30 mins (last few reports) & the last 1yr renewal took me about 30 mins max in/out. A very good service I think. However, I do do my retirement using the "Embassy Letter" system, which is a real "doddle", but expensive when you include the visa fee of 1,900 baht. I've also recently downloaded the app called "90 Day Reporter" on my mobile, which I intend to use before my next report , which is 19th Aug 2018 ........... even less stress if it works. I gotta give Immigration a "thumbs up" for trying to make the system better for everyone ............... fingercrossed it works eh?

Obtaining the embassy letter has to be factored in to the total time. So a return trip to Bkk plus time at the embassy, probably 6 hours at a minimum, so it really took you 6h 30min.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Obtaining the embassy letter has to be factored in to the total time. So a return trip to Bkk plus time at the embassy, probably 6 hours at a minimum, so it really took you 6h 30min.

Application is generally by mail or email, organised some time beforehand. You'd have been better discluding bank time in the assessment of time taken - it falls more in the category of preparatory documentation. 

Edited by lamyai3

50 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Application is generally by mail or email, organised some time beforehand. You'd have been better discluding bank time in the assessment of time taken - it falls more in the category of preparatory documentation. 

Application for what, the letter from the embassy? If I exclude bank time, time taken in the immigration office was probably 10 minutes, not including returning the next day to collect the passport.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Application for what?

For the income letter from the embassy. Many people obtain this weeks before, easily done by mail or email. You're short-changing yourself by including the bank visit in your time taken, as not everyone uses this method. 

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

For the income letter from the embassy. Many people obtain this weeks before, easily done by mail or email. You're short-changing yourself by including the bank visit in your time taken, as not everyone uses this method. 

I'm not sure if it's possible to obtain that letter by post from all embassies, I think it's necessary to make a visit in person to the Aussie embassy, and I'm pretty sure the letter has to be fairly current, not weeks old, at least it does for the bank letter.

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm not sure if it's possible to obtain that letter by post from all embassies, I think it's necessary to make a visit in person to the Aussie embassy, and I'm pretty sure the letter has to be fairly current, not weeks old, at least it does for the bank letter.

Yes, quite possibly. The UK embassy letter is good for six months though I believe. 

I will be doing mine tomorrow,  my bank opens at 8.30 on pattaya Klang,  hope to be at immigration by 9am, but as  immigration is closed on 27th does that mean it will be busy?  Will I get my passport back tomorrow or have to wait until after the bank holiday?  I  also need to get a multi re-entry permit before I  leave Thailand on the 3rd August,  hopefully there won't be any delays. 

I I will be doing mine tomorrow,  my bank opens at 8.30 on pattaya Klang,  hope to be at immigration by 9am, but as  immigration is closed on 27th does that mean it will be busy?  Will I get my passport back tomorrow or have to wait until after the bank holiday?  I  also need to get a multi re-entry permit before I  leave Thailand on the 3rd August,  hopefully there won't be any delays. 

3 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

I will be doing mine tomorrow,  my bank opens at 8.30 on pattaya Klang,  hope to be at immigration by 9am, but as  immigration is closed on 27th does that mean it will be busy?  Will I get my passport back tomorrow or have to wait until after the bank holiday?  I  also need to get a multi re-entry permit before I  leave Thailand on the 3rd August,  hopefully there won't be any delays. 

Yes, chances are it will be busy, usually is before and after long weekends.

Edited by giddyup

I arrived at Bangkok bank on pattaya Klang at 8.30, got my letter by 8.40, arrived at immigration at 9am, got my photos and copies by 9.11, was first in the que,  out by 9.16 and eating breakfast in Simons at 9.20, 

Pretty happy with that,  but don't get my passport until Tuesday. 

Ps,  the office outside offers to get everything done today Inc reentry permit for 13000 bht

13 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

I arrived at Bangkok bank on pattaya Klang at 8.30, got my letter by 8.40, arrived at immigration at 9am, got my photos and copies by 9.11, was first in the que,  out by 9.16 and eating breakfast in Simons at 9.20, 

Pretty happy with that,  but don't get my passport until Tuesday. 

Ps,  the office outside offers to get everything done today Inc reentry permit for 13000 bht

Looks like you are the new champ. You have set the bar at 46 minutes! Actually, 13000 baht if you can't meet all the criteria like income etc isn't too bad. 

Edited by giddyup
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, Lacessit said:

For some, that may be true. I use an agent because I don't want to waste my time on an indeterminate waiting period at Immigration. Sure, the OP got it done in 50 minutes. In statistical terms, that could be called an outlier.

" You can spend all your time making money, or you can spend all your love making time".

Excluding the time to get the income letter, the time the OP spent at the immigration office was no "outlier". Mine was done even more quickly last week. I was 10 minutes in the office... and that was on Monday afternoon, the busiest day of the week down there.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, buffallobill said:

I I will be doing mine tomorrow,  my bank opens at 8.30 on pattaya Klang,  hope to be at immigration by 9am, but as  immigration is closed on 27th does that mean it will be busy?  Will I get my passport back tomorrow or have to wait until after the bank holiday?  I  also need to get a multi re-entry permit before I  leave Thailand on the 3rd August,  hopefully there won't be any delays. 

I don't think anyone can predict if it will be busier or not... it's potluck. It's possible that other expats avoid obviously busy days, so it could be quiet at the extension desk, even on a busy day.

• Like 1