Student-loan guarantor gets reprieve

webfact

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps it's a requirement to become a teacher? Otherwise they'd be working for the Bank of Thailand.

I taught my son a short-cut how to do the eleven time table in his head. I can pick a number - ask him 27x11 and in less than ten seconds can tell me its 297.

He beat his teacher who was using a calculator. Probably the wrong thing to do really, making his teacher lose face.

In less than 10 seconds?  And he beat his teacher!  By the way "Normally" it should be less than 2 seconds.  X by 11= 270+27=297

.. or maybe I'm a bit deformed, for at the time when I was working for a certain company every day on my drive I mentally added the numbers of all the plates of cars that crossed me in traffic jams:smile: 

but no offence for you put your son is on the right way ?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

There appears to be a whole lot of Thai teachers who do not understand money management and fiscal responsibility.

Yep, and they still call them teachers. What out students! Here is what you will learn.

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

This is a teacher speaking, who signed as a guarantor for 60 student loans of around 10,000 Baht each.

No wonder the country's in the state it is, if this is the level of understanding and responsibility the educators have.

Even now, she probably needs ten minutes with a calculator to work out she put herself at risk for 600,000 Baht.

She needs ten minutes on a calculator to add 2+2 !

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

About 23 of the 60 students defaulted on loans of about '10,000' baht. That's nearly half of them that for some reason can't/won't pay back the money. That's pretty appalling. Some serious self-reflecting is needed there. 

She did a nice thing, sure. But she also must understand that she acted as a 'guarantor'. I hope she gets all the help she can, but at the end of the day, she signed a bit of paper saying that she is ultimately responsible for the debt. 

I lent a bird here 5,000 baht once. Never got it back. Last message she sent me was that she was poor and I was rich. I'm not rich. Was I angry with her? Sure! But I was more angry with myself for being so stupid. End of the day - I only have myself to blame. 

Actually the Student Loan Fund will accept very small repayments, and it's easy to pay, walk into any branch of Krung Thai bank, just give the teller your Thai ID card and say 200Baht or whatever, all on-line, hand over 200Baht, get an instant receipt. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps it's a requirement to become a teacher? Otherwise they'd be working for the Bank of Thailand.

I taught my son a short-cut how to do the eleven time table in his head. I can pick a number - ask him 27x11 and in less than ten seconds can tell me its 297.

He beat his teacher who was using a calculator. Probably the wrong thing to do really, making his teacher lose face.

Edited by Tchooptip
error post two times same answer????

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Actually the Student Loan Fund will accept very small repayments, and it's easy to pay, walk into any branch of Krung Thai bank, just give the teller your Thai ID card and say 200Baht or whatever, all on-line, hand over 200Baht, get an instant receipt. 

Okay. I don't understand the relevance to my post. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Help underway for a teacher who guaranteed loans for 60 students

By Thai PBS

2018-07-25_230315.png

teacher

The Legal Execution Department and the Student Loan Fund have stepped in to help a school teacher whose assets are at risk of being confiscated after ุ60 of her students defaulted on their student loans for which she served as guarantor.

The Fund manager, Mr Chainarong Katchapanant, told a press conference that the Fund had urged the Legal Execution Department to delay the seizure of the assets of Ms Vipa Banyen, an administrator at a school in Kamphaeng Phet, over about 300,000 baht in debts and interest thereof she owed the Fund for her role in guaranteeing the student loans received by her students.

Of the 60 students whom Ms Vipa guaranteed during 1998-1999, 29 of them have settled their debts with the Fund and ten others are paying their debts as normal.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/help-underway-teacher-guaranteed-loans-60-students/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-26

31 minutes ago, alexlm said:

Why is Thailand giving loans away?

A past GF was getting a 10k/month salary and yet she got a 600k loan from a bank with 9,700 monthly payment plan.

This was specifically a student loan from the Thai Student Loan Fund, which gives loans to students with very limited to zero resources, that's the reason for the funds' existence.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

ALways the problem with money, no matter how good you feel to help people. You never get it back and end up in shit.

Though weird indeed SLF never awoke when loans with same guarantor came to them.

A crying shame her ex pupils dont care and she can loose her job, she already lost her house and land 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, scorecard said:

This was specifically a student loan from the Thai Student Loan Fund, which gives loans to students with very limited to zero resources, that's the reason for the funds' existence.

You notice they dont give it away !! They ask for guarantor, so they can get it back anyhow, anyway.

They better do something about getting money back from Yingluck or Taksin or many others in the country who became very rich with fraude. 

• Like 1

Well, what can you say here about this one? Can't fix stupid and she certainly falls into that section. The "She is so nice" yadda yadda yadda rubbish doesn't fly and doesn't make it OK. You'd have thought that a teacher would know better.

7 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Lets hope no one is disturbed, bitter and twisted enough to disparage this fantastic thai woman who has committed these wonderful acts of altruism to help her thai students.

She is typical of the average thai citizen and that is what makes it such a wonderful country to live in.

Why so many dont see this is bewildering

I can see your point and understand it. But one must look further at this. What if the teacher herself ends up in bankruptcy court? Then she becomes a burden on someone else. That is the part this lady has not considered and that is what diminishes the good she has done. Now I know she has assets but things can change very quickly in life. A sickness of herself or a family member and suddenly the personal debt is high, too.

I have seen on numerous occasions here, people offering to help others without thought, then realising they are now themselves in financial trouble and must go cap in hand to others looking for handout to get by.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

You notice they dont give it away !! They ask for guarantor, so they can get it back anyhow, anyway.

They better do something about getting money back from Yingluck or Taksin or many others in the country who became very rich with fraude. 

Yes I'm well aware they don't 'give it away', there is some semblance of professional approach.

On a different point, this subject is currently hot in my outer Thai family. One female who did all of her degrees on student loans (from my knowledge near to 300,000Baht), she's now a bank manager and she's never repaid one Baht.

Her line is 'others don't pay it back, why should I?'

Additionally her father (her guarantor) is receiving stronger and stronger official letters about seizing his assets. The daughters response to the letters is at least consistent  'others don't pay it back, why should I?'  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes I'm well aware they don't 'give it away', there is some semblance of professional approach.

On a different point, this subject is currently hot in my outer Thai family. One female who did all of her degrees on student loans (from my knowledge near to 300,000Baht), she's now a bank manager and she's never repaid one Baht.

Her line is 'others don't pay it back, why should I?'

Additionally her father (her guarantor) is receiving stronger and stronger official letters about seizing his assets. The daughters response to the letters is at least consistent  'others don't pay it back, why should I?'  

WOw nice daughter ! However dont understand why they bother the father first instead of the daughter, as she is the official loaner. Guarantor should be only approachable when there is no money

with the loaner. Guess Thai way is different?

If my daughter would think like that, i would have a lawyer and confiscate her salary, at least half to pay back loan. Your daughter isnt your little girl anymore and needs to be corrected.

However as she is bank manager, for crying out loud, she should know all. I sure would confront her of legal actions to be taken and let her choose then.

Ofcourse she will have to pay lawyer and all other costs aswell !!!  Though it is family and even daughter, but her way isnt the way, disrespect to father and family.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yes he was lucky he wasn't stuck in the corner facing the wall for the rest of the day.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes he was lucky he wasn't stuck in the corner facing the wall for the rest of the day.

He was. On the bright side he's pretty good at his 153 times table now - that's the number of bricks per row in the wall.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

OMG, and this Muppet is let loose to " Educate " children.

Take her House, Land and any other assets she has.That will teach her not to be so bloody stupid.

Nah, like London buses - there'll be another one along in a minute.