UK temperatures set to test all-time record as heatwave continues

webfact

Spain and Portugal heatwave: Temperatures could exceed 48C this ...

Evening Standard-6 hours ago
Temperatures in Spain and Portugal could exceed 48C this week breaking the ... Last month several record high temperatures were set in the ...

Holidaymakers facing extreme highs topping 40C in Europe
Highly Cited-The Weather Channel-Jul 30, 2561 BE

Europe weather forecast: Warning as temperatures could break records
Highly Cited-Sky News-Jul 30, 2561 BE
2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I’ve seen no predictions anywhere near the record. The prediction is around 31 on Friday. Usual hysteria.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

48 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Spain and Portugal heatwave: Temperatures could exceed 48C this ...

Evening Standard-6 hours ago
Temperatures in Spain and Portugal could exceed 48C this week breaking the ... Last month several record high temperatures were set in the ...

Holidaymakers facing extreme highs topping 40C in Europe
Highly Cited-The Weather Channel-Jul 30, 2561 BE

Youre  posting about Spain. The OP is about UK. 

Heathrow is normally a hotspot. Prediction 32 tops Friday. 

F8310AA2-6992-4E5D-9BB3-42DC44DA1331.png

14 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I never replied to a post. Look again. 

I think it's pointless to wrangle about this but that's never stopped me before.

Below is a quote from the post that preceded yours followed immediately by your post

"spain this weekend is set for a  busting all time record 48degs ..thats dangerous"

"I’ve seen no predictions anywhere near the record. The prediction is around 31 on Friday. Usual hysteria."

I saw no other posts that mentioned a record. So if you weren't replying to that post, what were you replying to or commenting on?

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I think it's pointless to wrangle about this but that's never stopped me before.

Below is a quote from the post that preceded yours followed immediately by your post

"spain this weekend is set for a  busting all time record 48degs ..thats dangerous"

"I’ve seen no predictions anywhere near the record. The prediction is around 31 on Friday. Usual hysteria."

I saw no other posts that mentioned a record. So if you weren't replying to that post, what were you replying to or commenting on?

For goodness sake. I never quoted any of them posts hence I wasnt replying to them. Just because it preceded mine doesn’t mean I was referring to it.  I was replying to the OP.  If I was replying to the weather in Spain I would of quoted them posts. 

It really isnt that difficult. 

Move on...... yes it’s pointless. 

One has to laugh, living in Thailand. The problem with the UK is they can't cope with extremes at either end. Like we in Thailand have fans and air-con, and in Moscow they have furry hats. The UK is built for a temperate climate, go outside that and everyone is struggling.

5 hours ago, nausea said:

One has to laugh, living in Thailand. The problem with the UK is they can't cope with extremes at either end. Like we in Thailand have fans and air-con, and in Moscow they have furry hats. The UK is built for a temperate climate, go outside that and everyone is struggling.

Yes. I've noticed how once it gets down to a frigid 29C the Thais start wrapping up warm!??

Brits like hot weather, but only when they're in Torremolinos for 2 weeks. But as I said in another post, are our Irish, Dutch, Scandanavian etc cousins really so different? After all, their weather is pretty similar to ours (sh*t for about half of the year).

The Arctic Circle — the realm of polar bears and dwindling sea ice at the top of the world — hit 90 degrees Fahrenheit, 32 degrees Celsius, this week. 

This was the temperature in Banak, Norway on July 30, though some Norwegian areas even reached a couple degrees warmer, according to the European meteorology site severe-weather.eu. Banak sits atop northern Europe, over 350 miles above the bottom edge of the Arctic Circle.

The greater Northern Hemisphere and Europe itself have been repeatedly scorched by both record and near-record temperatures this summer, a consequence of overall rising global temperatures.

The greater Northern Hemisphere and Europe itself have been repeatedly scorched by both record and near-record temperatures this summer, a consequence of overall rising global temperatures

Well, really, if you're going to base your arguments about global warming on millennial blogs like Mashable, you're only going to get the horse laugh from anyone who is serious about this topic, on either side of the debate.

Got any real science?

Got any real science?

Links are in the article. Of course, that only works for those who want to read them and learn.

If you haven’t bothered to even read any of the research that has been handed to you in numerous past discussions here, I don’t see why anyone should continue wasting their time with you in this one.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, attrayant said:

Links are in the article. Of course, that only works for those who want to read them and learn.

If you haven’t bothered to even read any of the research that has been handed to you in numerous past discussions here, I don’t see why anyone should continue wasting their time with you in this one.

You would be well advised to follow your own advice about doing research instead of engaging in pointless ankle-biting.

There is nothing in the article, or the links, that supports the blog's claim that this heatwave is a "consequence of overall rising global temperatures."

To do that would require proposing a mechanism as to why a global rise of temperature of 1C over the past 150 years was suddenly generating giant heat waves, and that claim is not made.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RickBradford said:

You would be well advised to follow your own advice about doing research instead of engaging in pointless ankle-biting.

There is nothing in the article, or the links, that supports the blog's claim that this heatwave is a "consequence of overall rising global temperatures."

To do that would require proposing a mechanism as to why a global rise of temperature of 1C over the past 150 years was suddenly generating giant heat waves, and that claim is not made.

Once again you betray your incomprehension of statistics. And of course, mechanisms have been proposed and identified that can lead to an increase in the frequency of extreme weather.

• Like 1

Indeed, the mechanisms are usually taught somewhere between 8th and 12th grade, and are very well understood. They are not complex mechanisms; they are basic physics:

-Thermal expansion or water
-Opacity of gases at various wavelengths of light
-Energy cycles
-Displacement of water
-Albedo and black-body absorption
-Positive feedback loops

These are technical terms for some pretty simple concepts. If you’ve been out of school for a while, don’t feel bad if you don’t recognize some of them. But just because you don’t remember your basic science, don’t assume that nobody else does.

The complexity of climate science comes not from a lack of understanding of these basic mechanisms, but from the complex ways they interact with each other around a constantly changing planet plus the anthropogenic factors.

• Thanks 1

Once again you betray your incomprehension of statistics. And of course, mechanisms have been proposed and identified that can lead to an increase in the frequency of extreme weather.

More fact-free hand-waving, I see.

No reputable scientist would say that this heatwave was a "consequence of global rising temperatures", though it's fine for a breathless clickbait article on a blog.

Edited by RickBradford

The complexity of climate science comes not from a lack of understanding of these basic mechanisms, but from the complex ways they interact with each other around a constantly changing planet plus the anthropogenic factors.

Indeed. Which is why no reputable scientist would state that this heatwave is a "consequence of global rising temperatures".

9 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Indeed. Which is why no reputable scientist would state that this heatwave is a "consequence of global rising temperatures".

They wouldn't state that any particular weather event is due to anthropogenic climate change. What they would say is that the probability that it's due to acc is increased.

"Climate change has generally increased the odds of the current heat wave more than two-fold," said Geert Jan van Oldenborgh, a researcher at the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute.

He is part of World Weather Attribution (WWA), a network of scientists in six institutions established to provide near-real-time analysis of possible links between climate change and extreme weather events.

A WWA team has analyzed the current heat wave in northern Europe and presented preliminary results on Friday.

https://www.dw.com/en/current-heat-waves-are-linked-to-climate-change-scientists-confirm/a-44878983

• Like 1

They wouldn't state that any particular weather event is due to anthropogenic climate change. What they would say is that the probability that it's due to acc is increased.

That's not what the article said, which was what I was responding to. A couple of pages upthread, some nimrod was basing an argument for dangerous climate change on what the Mashable blog considers as journalism.

I was pointing out the perils of quoting clickbait blogs as serious topics for discussion.

Thank you for the link to the WWA preliminary report, I'm sure it will be one of several differing scientific opinions surrounding this heat wave.

As our fearless and uncompromised leaders like to tell us in the US, there is no connection between the actions of man, and climate warming. None. So, we must believe them. They have only our best interests at heart, and would never consider abandoning their integrity, or do something as unethical as side with corporations, over the people, to advance an agenda. We must believe this is all only a coincidence. The consistent heat waves, the record fires, the nasty storms, they are all just a massive number of coincidences. Most of you already know that the tangerine tornado speaks only the truth, and would never advance a false agenda. So, when he tells us it is not important to take care of the planet, or to make sacrifices on it's behalf, you can rest assured we are being looked after, by very safe, competent, smart, and visionary geniuses.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 7:07 PM, RickBradford said:

The global warming zealots have been relentless in trying to link any and all natural events - heatwaves, cold snaps, floods, and droughts, hurricanes, starving polar bears and collapsing bee colonies - to dangerous man-made influences.

They love to use their preferred weasel phrase: "What we are seeing today is consistent with man-made global warming." It's also consistent with the opposite, but they don't mention that.

So tiresome have they been at crying "wolf!", that nobody is listening any more.  The activists are whistling, but the dog's out of range.

And that would be a problem if global warming actually proved to be a threat to human well-being in the decades to come.

"They love to use their preferred weasel phrase: "What we are seeing today is consistent with man-made global warming." It's also consistent with the opposite, but they don't mention that."

So is that what this scientist is saying?

"Climate change has generally increased the odds of the current heat wave more than two-fold," said Geert Jan van Oldenborgh, a researcher at the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute.

He is part of World Weather Attribution (WWA), a network of scientists in six institutions established to provide near-real-time analysis of possible links between climate change and extreme weather events.

A WWA team has analyzed the current heat wave in northern Europe and presented preliminary results on Friday.

https://www.dw.com/en/current-heat-waves-are-linked-to-climate-change-scientists-confirm/a-44878983

• Like 1

No, he's saying what he's saying.

His computer programs and statistics may be robust, or they may not. I'm sure there will be vigorous debate as to the suitability of the methods used in this analysis.

It certainly shouldn't be regarded as the last word on the subject, though no doubt it will be, by the media and other interested parties.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

No, he's saying what he's saying.

His computer programs and statistics may be robust, or they may not. I'm sure there will be vigorous debate as to the suitability of the methods used in this analysis.

It certainly shouldn't be regarded as the last word on the subject, though no doubt it will be, by the media and other interested parties.

If by interested parties you mean the vast majority of climate scientists, I agree.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

If by interested parties you mean the vast majority of climate scientists, I agree.

Well, if you think that the vast majority of climate scientists believe that the first analysis should also be the last word, that's a pretty savage indictment of the whole field of climate science, in my estimation. I think the scientists are better than that.

I was referring to the politicians, the bureaucrats, rent-seeking NGOs, radical activists, goofball celebrities, and the rest of a tawdry crew who see the climate debate as the ideal vehicle for pursuing an agenda, be it personal, professional or financial.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Well, if you think that the vast majority of climate scientists believe that the first analysis should also be the last word, that's a pretty savage indictment of the whole field of climate science, in my estimation. I think the scientists are better than that.

I was referring to the politicians, the bureaucrats, rent-seeking NGOs, radical activists, goofball celebrities, and the rest of a tawdry crew who see the climate debate as the ideal vehicle for pursuing an agenda, be it personal, professional or financial.

Yes, the old agenda smear. I know why you are so fond of it. It can't be disproved. And the reason for that is, it can't be proved either. It's always a sign of an argument's emptiness when it goes to motives of people who are on the other side of the question. Especially when the science overwhelmingly agrees with them.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

What no one has picked up on was the bit about food prices going up ,a friend of mine e-mailed this week ,he is in agriculture ,dairy farming, he said dairy cattle are eating next winters feed, no grass for them to eat now, grain prices are at a very high price, so more is going to have to  be imported ,  even straw prices are high ,

I suppose most people are thinking that is just the press scaremongering, in 1976 it happened, could happen again, with Brexit next year, and an increase in food prices, I think  LOS could be a better place to be.I use to be in dairy farming when I was in the UK, so I do know what my friend is saying.