Chinese copies, when is it too much?

eisfeld

Just saw the "Lifan Hunter" which is such a blatant copy of the Ducati Scrambler that I think it's not even funny anymore. They took the base bike of the Icon, seat/tail from the Classic and exhaust from the Full Throttle. Cheapy-fied it and put a 125cc engine in it. If I were Ducati, I'd be a bit pissed off.

I bit of copying can be good for evolution but imho in this instance, it's just too much.

24068121_1479072342189566_2222937143487787470_n.jpg.e58f77f92e04bc233d7f6b045779efbe.jpg

Here the Ducati original:

017a08faadd65b99e05c5d53d078a663.jpg.34f447ae700e696559aea79998986575.jpg

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I think many copies, this included, are not really a problem.

Because how many people will buy that bike instead of a Ducati? If someone wants a Ducati and can afford one then he won't buy a copy.

And if the person can't afford a Ducati then he will buy something different. Maybe something that looks a little like a Ducati or maybe something totally different. He just can't afford a Ducati.

Summary: What does Ducati lose? Nothing!

I think especially in Thailand most Ducatis are sold because the buyers want to show off with it.

So for Ducati to sell bikes a very important point is to have a unique look, so that also when somebody who is not too much into bikes sees it, knows that this is a Ducati.

If there is now a cheap copy available which is so close that many people can not tell the difference when they see it driving by it might affect potential buyers to not buy the Ducati. In this case Ducati is losing money.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I think especially in Thailand most Ducatis are sold because the buyers want to show off with it.

So for Ducati to sell bikes a very important point is to have a unique look, so that also when somebody who is not too much into bikes sees it, knows that this is a Ducati.

If there is now a cheap copy available which is so close that many people can not tell the difference when they see it driving by it might affect potential buyers to not buy the Ducati. In this case Ducati is losing money.

Let's take another example, real and fake Rolex.

I am sure many people are able to spot the difference - at least people who buy the original Rolex.

Would you show up at an event with lots of rich people with a fake Rolex and maybe a fake Louis Vuitton bag? I guess that would be the fastest way to be excluded from that club.

And I guess with bikes it's similar. Who would like to join some Ducati riders with a fake?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's not red and it doesn't have a trellis frame - it can't be a Ducati ?

I think you are describing one of those 300cc Benelli's. Red and a trellis frame. That would be my choice of a cheap copy Ducati

Image result for benelli thailand

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It can get confusing though. Pulled up next to one of these at the lights on my 899. Wasn't sure whether to give him "the nod" or not ?

Just rev your engine a little and smile at him. Maybe he wants to race you. ?

Seen in isolation. they look nice, but unless you've got very short legs you will look a bit silly - like those guys riding Yamaha RXs and Kawasaki GTOs with their knees splayed out. Not a problem on my Yamaha TZM, but if I was to trade up (?) to a Stallions Buccaneer or GPX Gentleman, I might look the same. BTW any local owner reviews on those two - in English? 

AJEC VR-46.JPG