Anyone worried about the Chinese property purchases in Thailand

Foreigners are not allowed to own land in Thailand by law. If interested in buying, a foreign investor has two options: either a 30-year leasehold or purchasing the property through a limited company. Apartments can be purchased by foreigners as long as at least 51% of the building is owned by Thais.

• Like 1

I never quite understand why any foreigner should be the slightest bit concerned about what is going on in a country that you personally over which you  have absolutely no control .

Same thing - friends visiting Bangkok - commenting restaurants etc are quiet -there is nothing much you can do. 

So if the Chinese buy everything- who cares. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s not about control, but the stability of not just the housing / condo market but the economy as a whole. They’ve overblown Hong Kong, Vancouver and Australia and they are now looking for the next best country with the next best country (matter of opinion I guess!) with a stable government. 

With all the red tape and real estate land restrictions or hassles, would the smart and willy Chinese really aim to get into the Thai real estate market ?

Perhaps for commercial or business oriented ventures they may buy up in Bangkok, but one could reasonably doubt seeing hordes of Chinese queueing up at some local real estate developper's office in Phuket to buy individual holiday pool villas or condos....Chinese don't like tropical heat or sun...

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

With all the red tape and real estate land restrictions or hassles, would the smart and willy Chinese really aim to get into the Thai real estate market ?

Perhaps for commercial or business oriented ventures they may buy up in Bangkok, but one could reasonably doubt seeing hordes of Chinese queueing up at some local real estate developper's office in Phuket to buy individual holiday pool villas or condos....Chinese don't like tropical heat or sun...

I think it’s hard to comprehend the shear numbers that are looking to exploit what they can after savaging aus, Canada and hkg. Very little ability for those markets to move much these days - certainly not as much as they can get out of less stable, but potentially lucrative markets of Thailand. They don’t have to live in Thailand - or even use the property, just pump it up and then clear out.

• Like 2

What Thailand does with the Chinese is none of my business. I very much doubt at this stage of my life it's going to affect me anyway.

Having said that, the Thais do defend their ownership of land and infrastructure very competently. They also defend their manufacturing industries quite well with stiff tariffs. You don't see too many Chinese vehicles here, apart from the MG brand. And that's only because they are built in Thailand.

5 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

Don't forget to include U.S.A. and others on that list. I know in America they own vast swaths of land and biz. They own California BTW.

Very Strong in New Zealand, they were snapping up prime land, Landfill, Construction, Concrete Batching Plants                  Not forgetting Melbourne, Sydney, Iron Ore Mines in North West Australia,

On 7/29/2018 at 12:42 AM, upu2 said:

Of course China will take over Thailand slowly but surely. It is only the Thais that cant apparently see that. Standard practice for Chinese, it is what they do and they are very good at it.

As a foreigner here there is nothing we can do about it. If the powers that be dont stop it then it will continue. One day we will all wake up and find the only language understood in Thailand is Mandarin

Agree with your assessment but I like to add?  The Chinese have been here a long time in many forms especially the Triads up North.

As you noted this is what the Chinese do they are the Master of the Art of War. Many forget China is still a Communist country still run by the old thinking Mao Chinese with a big twist of Capitalism? Personally, the Thais government will get what they deserve by the time the Thais figure out what has happened to them it will be too late, they are over their heads with the Master but the Thai leaders don't give a rat a-- for the common Thai, lining their pockets is what is important.

China, Government is the largest Triads of them all.

overnment is the largest triads of them all

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 1

They own many critical utility companies in the UK. They have even been invited by the UK Govt to help finance new nuclear power plants.

They also own huge swathes of property in the UK, mostly high-end, but are also building new communities for the thousands of Chinese students in UK towns and cities.

At least Thailand seems to have controls in place. Is there effective enforcement?

• Like 1

I dont worry about what the Chinese do in Jomtien, as long as they stay well away from my building. If they do start buying in my building I suppose that could only serve to put the prices up, which should mean that I would it easier to leave.

5 hours ago, Nemo. said:

You mean colonization? How dare they. Britain would never do that!

?

Not any more. Look at the motley crew we ended up with last time! ?

(Brit runs for cover!)