Thai Labour Law: Royal Decree blows work permits wide open

webfact

As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone (including themselves), under any conditions, and do any type of work, that is not excluded by the Official List.

To get a work permit, do we still have to create company and hire 4 Thais, if we just want to do work by ourselves?

I'm thinking of digital-nomad style of work, where a person would do tasks over the internet. What is the best / correct procedure for that?

10 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Education visa?

I already have a visa, but would like to do some remote work for an while. 

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

To get a work permit, do we still have to create company and hire 4 Thais, if we just want to do work by ourselves?

I'm thinking of digital-nomad style of work, where a person would do tasks over the internet. What is the best / correct procedure for that?

It's not just digital-nomad's. Consultant work, sales representatives, sourcing agents and a number of other "jobs" can be done by single person companies or one plus an assistant. How do you do this kind of work legally? What type of visa? Do you need a company entity? Can you work with only a visa? ... to Oilniki's question do you still need a company with 4 Thai's etc., etc., ...? 

There was rumor a while back about creating a sole-proprietor category business for foreigners but that seems to be either dead or back burnered. There are still quite a few unanswered questions about working legally long term in Thailand.

Edited by Hockeybik
  • Like 2

I thought that this was only to apply to businesses operating in the new Eastern Economic Corridor. Maybe they couldn't amend the law just for a single area. However the ease of access for temporary workers, such as musicians and conference attendees is welcome. Maybe we'll get a few more decent acts coming to Thailand.

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

Try Spain???????

????

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Try Spain???????

????

That's actually one of the places I might move to. Along with other EU countries, Portugal and Croatia. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes it seems that this government at least makes things better for foreigners. Hard to imagine but have to credit where credit is due. Now if they could only do away with the 90 day reporting that was activated under a previous government and the reporting of address things would really be looking up. 

Both issues you mention are a pain in the butt for Immigration and our landlords every bit as much as for ourselves. I agree completely.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Don't get to excited, this applies to conducting business meetings, sale exhibitions and such. 

You can now attend a conference without a WP. 

For sure this will not be a WP Fest.

My take is that those already holding a WP will not be stricly limited to the area of issue.

Eg a contract that has offices, yards in different provinces might mean the WP you have for Chonburi might cover you to do a bit of your work in a subcontractors fab' yard in Saraburi without having to apply for a WP there or have it added to your existing WP.

All the work would have to do with the contract itself, not a different job on a different contract.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1