Is it possible to be ripped off in a 711

georgegeorgia

I will give say 535 baht for a 235 baht bill, to save getting back small change. Not sure if the staff don't get it sometimes but last week in my local seven, even after saying 500 as I handed over my cash I received only 100 baht back. I looked at the change in my hand and said, you heard me say 500, yes? Got the other 200 without one word said, no sorry, no nothing, which makes me think it wasn't a mistake. Happened before at other shops. I'm not in Pattaya.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, brling said:

Nonsense, They would not be working in 7/11.  The only Thais in Pattaya that are multi lingual are the prostitutes

My local seven has several night staff who I know are Thammasat students and speak pretty good English. 

23 minutes ago, kkerry said:

My local seven has several night staff who I know are Thammasat students and speak pretty good English. 

Read my reply.  Speaking english is not multi lingual, and is your local 7/11 in Pattaya ? 

10 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I'm not sure on this, but there must be a button on the touch screen that they press to apply the discounts and promos.

Like you I purchased an item yesterday in 7/11 and my wife had already seen the promo on the fridge saying  3 baht off each if you buy two.

But it wasn't on the bottom line, or the screen value, or the docket.

And when he (She)? rang it up, they say "sorry too late now."

Only six baht..I know. 

But one has to wonder?

Yes, when I've called them on it in the past, they've acted like they overlooked the discount and hit another button or two on the till, and the discount pops up. Since I was anticipating it (as it had happened before in the same 7-11) I mentioned it while it was still a transaction in process, so it might be trickier to deal with after payment has been made and receipt given. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kkerry said:

I will give say 535 baht for a 235 baht bill, to save getting back small change. Not sure if the staff don't get it sometimes but last week in my local seven, even after saying 500 as I handed over my cash I received only 100 baht back. I looked at the change in my hand and said, you heard me say 500, yes? Got the other 200 without one word said, no sorry, no nothing, which makes me think it wasn't a mistake. Happened before at other shops. I'm not in Pattaya.

It's good practice to do this and make clear that when you're giving a 500 or 1000 you're aware of it and expecting the right amount of change. Many Thais also do this, I hear "hai hah roy" or "phan neung" often, and frequently nowadays from staff as well, as a wrong accusation against them could lose them their job. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kkerry said:

Ooh.

Now your confusing them.

Out comes the calculator for sure.

I did that once.

They gave me the 22 baht back, then proceeded to give me change from the 500 baht note.

Finished up with more coins in my pocket. ?

Wow, I'm glad I don't live in Pattaya.

Not once in Chiang Rai have I ever not been given a receipt and proper change at either 7 or Tesco.

Neither have I and I have lived in Pattaya for years, before that Bangkok. This thread is not representative for Pattaya, it can happen in any shop in Thailand if they hire staff who steals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2018 at 9:08 AM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Short change scam.
Oldest game in the book.
Here management is usually in on it.

The oldest game in the book? But there are no books in modern shops. 7/11s have fully computerised tills so cheating is all but impossible unless the customer is a fool,  drunk or  unlucky...or very unpleasant.  I find such Thai 7/11 staff to be usually, nice, honest, and helpful. But sometimes they are tired and jaded by their interactions with vile, rude, abrupt and racist foriegners. I make an effort to be polite.  The effort is reciprocated. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 3:35 PM, brling said:

Wrong, they are educated, numerate and multi lingual. Read reply No. 146

You mean to say all 7/11 staff are multi lingual and numerate?

Some maybe. A few possibly. 

Many not so.

I've lived and worked in Bangkok and Pattaya several years and use numerous of these outlets.

Not sure which ones you use?

They normally have a staff member who can speak some language other than thai.

I think looking back on this thread, which has run ages,

Of course if the opportunity presents, some staff may be tempted by the dark side.

Its human nature.

45 baht an hour or a quick sleight of hand. 

Many follow the rules, some dont.

Same the people who go in there.

That's why some have signs about paying 10x times the price if you get caught doing a four finger discount. 

Plus a backroom threat of police if you dont pay a compensation to the manager. 

I know my regular shops.

And they know me.

If you are in Buchao or it's late night, the possibility exists. 

Possibly other places too.

On 9/8/2018 at 1:30 AM, brling said:

Read my reply.  Speaking english is not multi lingual, and is your local 7/11 in Pattaya ? 

Bi lingual is better than most of us. 

We go everywhere in the world and expect English to be spoken. 

Many educated asians can use three or more languages. 

Its taught in school now.

We were lucky if we went every day. 

• Like 1

I think just on stamps, they could increase their pay quite a bit.  Just a few minutes ago, the guy didn't give me my 10 stamps, even though I used them to help pay.  Of course, I could have just gone to MiniBig C and paid less without stamps.  Some very attractive girls working at some of the 711..a bit young, but very pretty.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, moontang said:

I think just on stamps, they could increase their pay quite a bit.  Just a few minutes ago, the guy didn't give me my 10 stamps, even though I used them to help pay.  Of course, I could have just gone to MiniBig C and paid less without stamps.  Some very attractive girls working at some of the 711..a bit young, but very pretty.

I hand the stamps to them.

I still have never been ripped off at any of these places.

My favorite one was some guy back in this forum who said "I have been ripped off by staff  at every 7-11 and food mart in Pattaya".

I could just hear some guy in a bar yelling that to his buddies.  What a joke.

Edited by bkk6060