It’s up to Britain whether to extradite Yingluck: Gen Prayut

webfact

The Thai authorities has the upper hand here when it comes to extreditions of wanted people as Thailand is a harbor to several, if not many wanted or would be wanted by the UK authorities, so Thailand can play the tit for tat game here too if they they play their cards right...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

The Thai authorities has the upper hand here when it comes to extreditions of wanted people as Thailand is a harbor to several, if not many wanted or would be wanted by the UK authorities, so Thailand can play the tit for tat game here too if they they play their cards right...

Fine. They are welcome to our kiddyfiddlers and fraudsters if they want them. It'll teach us a real lesson, alright... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

If holding on to wanted criminals - who potentially could cause harm to people in Thailand - is the upper hand? Well it must be a very weak hand. 

The big issue here is that Yingluvk alledgedly holds both Nicaragian and Montenegran passports. Even though she is clearly Thai

So if she entered on one of these passports then technically she is not Thai and this is supported by the fact her Thai passports have been revoked. So from a legal perspective Thailand is requesting the UK extradite a person from a third party country that is not covered by the extradition treaty that exisits between the UK and Thailand. 

My interpretation may be wrong but when my daughter who has dual cirizenship enters Thailand on her Thai passports she gets all the rights, privilages and protections that are afforded to Thais in Thailand and her UK passport is filed away. 

I would assume that if YL entered on one of her third party passports she would be afforded the protections those passports provide. 

I doubt that it works that way, if your wanted by Interpol they will get you anyway no matter what passport your on. Problem is this is seen as a political case and they just won't burn their hands on this. But if your a normal criminal it does not matter on what passport you enter its the person that is flagged not its nationallity. 

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

If UK ever did that (they won't), then Thai Gov. would soil its pants.

The UK should release a high priority media announcement, indicating they have sent a previously high positioned Thai woman, back to Thailand.  Released only after the flight has departed the UK and about to arrive in Thailand.  

Oh...  Thought the extradition was for a Ms. Yingruck.  Misunderstanding...

Image result for disfigured thai woman

19 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yingluck's life is not in danger should she be returned and there is an extradition treaty between the UK and Thailand, http://www.oecd.org/site/adboecdanti-corruptioninitiative/39371698.pdf 

See article five of that treaty:

Article 5.
A fugitive criminal shall not be surrendered if the offence in respect of which his surrender is demanded is deemed by the Party on whom the demand is made to be one of a political character, or if he prove that the requisition for his surrender has in fact been made with a view to try or punish him for an offence of a political character.

I would humbly point out that given the use of pronouns in Article 5 it only applies to males. YL has nothing to fear.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thailand could retaliate against UK expats. Make visa extensions a bit rougher and deny a few as examples.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I doubt that it works that way, if your wanted by Interpol they will get you anyway no matter what passport your on. Problem is this is seen as a political case and they just won't burn their hands on this. But if your a normal criminal it does not matter on what passport you enter its the person that is flagged not its nationallity. 

Rob. On reflection you may well be right. Otherwise all a criminal woud need to do is get a new nationality and they are home free. Which is a massive loophole. Cheers

'UP TO YOU'.

How many times have I heard those three words and worked out a possible alternative meaning.

Personally, I hope the British do nothing. Why should they? 

Red Bull comes to mind as does the deaths of British tourists, unexplained and handled appealingly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Since the British are known for their humor, it would be great, if they pretended to send her over!

Just to see the collective government and some of their "supporters" wet their pants.

The stupid wetting them with delight!

The other stupid (government officials) wetting them, because that is SOOOOO NOT what they want!

Because we are looking at the post-Brexit future and going round the world asking for a little spare change. Otherwise it would be great to give them the runaround...

• Like 1