"Gardening loving Brit" electrocuted while mowing the lawn in Khon Kaen

webfact

13 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

But I really like the idea  Do you think I could get something like that installed by a shop I buy it at?

By the way what is RCBO and YMMV?

As noted earlier, if you buy a Safe-T-Cut branded unit then the big box places will install, often for free.

An RCBO is an RCD with overload protection (yes, I know that helps a lot), Google and Wiki are your friends. 

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary, popular with those selling the snake-oil fuel economisers.

• Like 1

I don't want to spoil the fun for everybody and shall let others look up the remaining acronyms that have so far cropped up in this topic and not yet explained:

1. GFCI
  2. ELCB
  3. RCBO

I had a Safe T Cut installed, no earth!

the Thai professional said, no need Earth, Thai electricity not same as faring electricity!

The aircon bypasses the main circuit breaker and can only be disconnected at the meter in the street. Our whole moobaan is wired this way.

well, the main breaker would have to be bigger and cost more?

There is no safety thinking in Thailand, life is cheap.

RIP poor man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I don't want to spoil the fun for everybody and shall let others look up the remaining acronyms that have so far cropped up in this topic and not yet explained:

1. GFCI
  2. ELCB
  3. RCBO

From the thread I linked to just now:-

"You may know it as a Safety Switch / ELCB / RCCB / GFI / GFCI / Safe-T-Cut / Trip all are effectively the same device" if it has a "Test" button it's one of these.

There are as many different acronyms for these chaps are there are countries using electricity, oh for standardisation ?

8 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I have this one ( bottom , on the left ) 

no sign of RCD; not good ?  If I buy the Safe T cut, the " chang " will be able to replace it ? 

If the main circuit breaker have a test botton then it is an RCBO and the mark on it say QOvs RCBO if not then change it to one.

Scneider make these and You can have them in building markets.

Edited by perconrad
More information

... the regular ground earthing is there only as a safety to prevent a electrical fault causing a fire. 

MilliAmp breakers are there to prevent electrical shock, I’d recommend a 10 or less milliamp setting for any outside, or shoeless situations involving electrical current. Normally the 30miliamp setting indoors is sufficient, it will also detect and major live faults on your washing machines fridges etc. 

2 minutes ago, perconrad said:

If the main circuit breaker have a test botton then it is an RCBO and the mark on it say QOvs RCBO if not then change it to one.

Scneider make these and You can have them in building markets.

Yes, you can replace the main breaker with a suitable RCBO from Schneider or Sqaure-D.

OR

You can add a Safe-T-Cut device like I linked to earlier in front of the main switch.

9 minutes ago, mindfulness said:

Unfortunately we are currently renting, however the need then to apply a socket based ‘milliamp’ breaker even if drilling a hole in the wall is needed.

Safe-T-Cut make an RCD outlet that will replace a regular outlet where you need to add specific protection. Should need no drilling ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

How on earth (no pun intended) did they manage to wire the AC to the mains bypassing the MCB?

I am frankly amazed how many members report aircon and water heaters wired like this, madness ?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Indeed it is, you may know it as a GFCI, ELCB or one of a myriad of other acronyms dependent upon where in the world you originate. Generally in Thailand it's known as a "Safe-T-Cut" which is actually a brand name.

Do you have one? Look in your electrical panel for a breaker with a "Test" button, no test button = no RCD. Go and look now!

If you don't have one I strongly recommend that you get one installed, all the big box stores sell them and most will install for you too. It may well save your life as it probably would this poor chap.

We call them "circuit breakers" in America, which is I think pretty clear.  We also have GFI devices, for "ground fault interrupt."  But those only work if there is a proper ground.  

51 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Now you know what it means, but do you have one?

In my house in Continental Europe, the electricity panel (don't know the correct technical term for it) seems to have quite a few RCDs. At least I think that is what they are because one of them tripped when I accidentally cut the extension cord used with my electric hedge trimmer.

electricity panel.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I am frankly amazed how many members report aircon and water heaters wired like this, madness ?

Total madness and very dangerous and scary!

Mind you, years ago I did have a Safe-T-Cut fitted before the rewire and the outside wall lights would trip it due to an earth fault, so they elected to remove these from the normal circuits, bypassing the RCD and fitted a separate 30A breaker!!

I had to educate them that 8 x 100w bulbs cannot not need 30 amps of current, had them replace the breaker before the wires in the wall melted, mind you, these were probably far too over sized as well!

There are some called electricians here are to put it mildly, cowboys and dangerous, hence why you should use stores that you have a better chance of getting a half decent one!

1 hour ago, kannot said:

I wouldnt rely on the "big  stores"  staff whomever  they employ, I once had Tescos finest come and wire up my aircon, two wires only   purple and green and Green wasnt the earth..............told me it didnt need  the earth. 

Got  rid ,never had anyone else in to do electrics anywhere at my place, at least I know whats whats and where and how its  all connected, right size cables breakers and colours in sheathing some undeground

I had a 'highly-recommended electrician' come to install an outdoor circuit for us. I bought the cables, DB, isolator and an RCD and he assured me he knew how to install. 

On completion, I checked everything and found he'd by-passed the RCD. When asked, he gave the usual "not needed in Thailand" excuse but he eventually admitted he had no idea how to install even though all instructions came with it, in Thai. 

I made him stand and watch as I ripped out his connections in the DB and did the work properly myself, all the time showing him the correct way to do it. He got 50% of his pay for that job. I also hope he learnt something.

8 minutes ago, Maestro said:

In my house in Continental Europe, the electricity panel (don't know the correct technical term for it) seems to have quite a few RCDs. At least I think that is what they are because one of them tripped when I accidentally cut the extension cord used with my electric hedge trimmer.

These are similar to mine here, most of Europe requires two pole breakers and RCD protection now, oh and it is a distribution box.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

...oh and it is a distribution box

Thank you, I am eager to learn and you posted it just in time before I went searching for what, besides Deutsche Bundesbahn, the DB mentioned by MartinL might mean in the context of electrical wiring. By the end of today, I shall be an expert, if not in electrical installation, at least in its terminology.

RE - Police suspect that Mr Stratton was having problems starting his mower and went to examine the connection. They said he might have forgotten that it was plugged in at the mains. They believe he was electrocuted.

If this was the case then we could assume he would have been found beside the Connection and not in the middle of the garden far away from both cable and el Connection....

RIP

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed it is, you may know it as a GFCI, ELCB or one of a myriad of other acronyms dependent upon where in the world you originate. Generally in Thailand it's known as a "Safe-T-Cut" which is actually a brand name.

Do you have one? Look in your electrical panel for a breaker with a "Test" button, no test button = no RCD. Go and look now!

If you don't have one I strongly recommend that you get one installed, all the big box stores sell them and most will install for you too. It may well save your life as it probably would this poor chap.

Hello

I have just looked at the   electric panel in my rented apartment.

I can read FUJI  Auto Breaker and a EA 32 code  on that.

I could not see any Test button..

Any idea please ?

I have no electrical knowledge at  all..

Genuinely asking.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Thank you, I am eager to learn and you posted it just in time before I went searching for what, besides Deutsche Bundesbahn, the DB mentioned by MartinL, might mean in the context of electrical wiring. By the end of today, I shall be an expert, if not in electrical installation, at least in its terminology.

Some years ago, the UK made some changed as to what a person may do or not do in his own home in an attempt to improve safety.

Years ago a non technical colleague ectended his mum's standard lamp and couldn't understand why it blew the fuses.

After all, he had "correctly" joined all three wires together and safely taped them up!!!!

Sometimes, a little knowledge can be dangerous..

I am so out of date, I got me City & Guilds on the 13th edition of the IEE regulations LOL

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/1285/can-you-do-electrical-work-yourself-in-the-uk

• Like 1

# Neat looking garden.

# RIP to the gardener.

# Gave up a long while ago with electrical garden tools, not due to safety issues, just that they are awkward in use (extension leads etc) and that they are not very powerful or durable. Unlike all my current petrol garden tools - far better and more robust.

• Like 2