Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

26 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"We are called digital nomads...

I currently work for Netflix in Silicon Valley and they are completely fine with me working remotely from Thailand"

Previously I've only seen "digital nomads" applied to people who are self employed and usually involved in finding a commodity for which there is or they create a demand, and then list on Amazon/Ebay etc., or, Youtubers/bloggers/vloggers, etc.

I.e., self employed people who travel and are able to earn income thru using their computer/telecommunications.

I've never before seen it applied to someone employed by a major corporation who has 100 people working for him and who is allowed to work from whereever.

I see that Wiki calls what you are doing "telework" and perhaps they are considering it a branch of digital nomadism - hard for me to interpret their article.

"We are called digital nomads and earn mid six-figures USD ($280k to $500k avg )...".

This is total bullsh*t.

Are you listing a cumulative 10 year income?

Even then that has to be way above a 10 year cumulative average for all who consider themselves "digital nomads" and fit the description I gave.

"I myself employ over 100 Thai software engineers and I pay them 100,000 baht / month, well over the 20,000 baht that Thai companies pay"

So Netflix pays you a hearty salary, lets you choose in what country you will employ over 100 workers, and then has no problem with you paying them 5 times the going rate.

OK.

I believe "Duck J Butters" post is trolling.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

Just now, JimmyJ said:

I believe "Duck J Butters" post is trolling.

No kidding.

I imagine most of the posters who dug this OLD OP up and have been posting here are doing the same thing.

It does give them something to do though. :biggrin:

On 12/20/2018 at 6:12 AM, LomSak27 said:

Great looks like the Chinese are back! Oh wait no they aren't, "Phuket is dead as a dodo", Pattaya is flat and CM has a nice "little" tourist wave but they mainly westerners.

So just typing form a script, waving pompoms and being a cheerleader eh?

It's so common around here these days  :thumbsup:

pound is still at 41 when it should be 80 to pound best go to another country 

On 12/17/2018 at 12:45 PM, BritManToo said:
On 12/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, brling said:

The usual reply from our resident Thai apologist. Hates  to think of himself as a farang, but would LOVE to be a Thai. 

I've never had any interest in being Thai, or a citizen of any other 3rd world country.

If I had a free choice, I'd choose to be American.

If I had a choice of 2nd citizenship, I'd choose 1st as British and 2nd as American.

(If there was a choice of 'EU citizen' I might have chosen dual EU/American)

I don't label people by their skin colour, so it's true I don't view myself as a 'farang', but as a Brit.

As for being an apologist, not true, I see lots of stuff wrong in Thailand, but I can live with it.

I see a lot more wrong in the UK, things I can't live with, which is why I'm here and not there.

Edited December 17, 2018 by BritManToo

"Et tu Brute?"      Thailand,   Love it or leave it.   ????

14 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

And I wish the Greenback was @ 44 + as it was upon my initial arrival to Thailand.      But sadly it just ain't to be.

3 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:
On 12/20/2018 at 6:12 AM, LomSak27 said:

Great looks like the Chinese are back! Oh wait no they aren't, "Phuket is dead as a dodo", Pattaya is flat and CM has a nice "little" tourist wave but they mainly westerners.

So just typing form a script, waving pompoms and being a cheerleader eh?

It's so common around here these days  :thumbsup:

I have no clue what you are replying about to my post from December 20 2018.

The above post you quoted has nothing to do with Pounds, dollar, shekels, yuan, yen or loonies. As always our hopes and prayers are with you in these extremely difficult times as you attempt to read, comprehend & post. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

If you live in Thailand but work for companies outside of Thailand, you do not have to pay Thai taxes.

As you can see, Thais are blocking loopholes. Expect the work permit issue to be enforced next. They are well aware, thanks to all the touting in TVF. Then it's only logical if you jump the hoops (Thai company, etc) that you'll end up paying taxes in Thailand. The writing is on the wall.

17 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

My salary is identical to what is was when I lived in San Francisco, California where a dumpy 1 bedroom apartment will cost you $5000 usd/ month.

So what are those sleazebags in the Tenderloin paying for rent these days?

58 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

It is free for many they sleep on the streets.

7,000 homeless in Frisco many end up in Tenderloin.

Some of the nastiest crack Ho"s I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

As you can see, Thais are blocking loopholes. Expect the work permit issue to be enforced next. They are well aware, thanks to all the touting in TVF. 

You really think this place TVF has that much influence/power?

I do know the embassy letter potential fraud was frequently spoken about on here prior to ending. 

Does make me wonder..

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You really think this place TVF has that much influence/power?

I do know the embassy letter potential fraud was frequently spoken about on here prior to ending. 

Does make me wonder..

Influence and power - No.

But is there someone in a government agency who at least on rare occasions checks the forum on a specific topic - Probably.

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
17 hours ago, oslooskar said:

It is free for many they sleep on the streets.

7,000 homeless in Frisco many end up in Tenderloin.

Some of the nastiest crack Ho"s I have ever seen.

"Frisco"

So is that what San Fransico people are calling their city these days?  :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

So is that what San Fransico people are calling their city these days?  :biggrin:

The great Nile Rodgers was calling it Frisco 40 years ago:

"One night at the disco, on the outskirts of Frisco, I was cruisin' with my favourite gang..."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:
16 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

The great Nile Rodgers was calling it Frisco 40 years ago:

"One night at the disco, on the outskirts of Frisco, I was cruisin' with my favourite gang..."

POW       :biggrin:            Ok so you are not from SF, or spent much time their, BTW neither has New Yorker Niles Rodgers.

I forget this is TV..

3 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

POW       :biggrin:            Ok so you are not from SF, or spent much time their, BTW neither has New Yorker Niles Rodgers.

I forget this is TV..

I spent a few weeks staying with my friend in Van Ness in the late 90s, so I'm quite familiar with the city and the Tenderloin district. And I'm quite sure Niles (sic) has toured there countless times.

Frisco in common parlance is long established unless you've spent your life living under a rock (or perhaps in your case under a bridge?) It dates back centuries to the days of the Barbary coast, but for something more modern you might want to check out Frisco Kid with James Cagney from 1935, or the similarly named movie from 1979 with Gene Wilder. And Herb Caen's book "Don't call it Frisco" from the 50's only goes to show that they do... 

• Like 1

Good work on wiki 

Don't call it Frisco never was big until it was re issued in the 70's though, ahhhh oooohhh,  but from then on    .............  and if my cousins ever caught you saying that,  they would punch you in the face.

Just a tip for next time you are out trolling.   Hey, who says I don't care!   :thumbsup:   

Edited by LomSak27

33 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Good work on wiki 

For sure I googled after your last post, but only because a raft of solid examples is a credible way of settling an argument, and to point out that you're talking out of your hat. The Frisco Kid movie is very famous, I remember seeing it decades ago on TV, and I've got the Nile Rodgers record on vinyl, hence my response to your daft claim that Frisco is not a commonplace name. Next thing you'll be cocking a snook at people who are starting to refer to NY as the Big Apple. 

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2018 at 8:05 PM, melvinmelvin said:

not really disagreeing,

but why are the farang employed in the first place if what you say hold water

In some careers it is essential to gain experience before one can advance especially for recent college graduates. So some workers sacrifice for a few years with future rewards in mind.  Experience working in s foreign culture looks great on a Western resume. 

Some seek adventure and the mythos of Thailand being a libidinous tropical paradise attracts the crowd willing to consider friends with benefits as equal to or better than fringe benefits. 

Some just have other sources of money and don't really care too much.  The Thai working environment isn't really renowned for its nose to the grindstone,  hard charging pace, so they go through the motions at work doing as little as possible and feel, therefore, that they are justly paid commensurate with their efforts.  

Some are altruistic thinking that they will come help eager, grateful Thais.  LMAO!  Fools rush in, etc.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Don't call it Frisco never was big until it was re issued in the 70's though, ahhhh oooohhh,  but from then on    .............  and if my cousins ever caught you saying that,  they would punch you in the face.  :thumbsup:   

I was born and raised in San Francisco and I find it quite irritating when people make reference to my beloved city as "Frisco". However, I generally just write them off as being ignorant of our local etiquette. 

the easy recovery from 1997 was a big attraction, now Thailand has a major demographic issue, which is only at all muted by the Tourism 'gold rush' thing which isn't just Thailand for sure.  but that is likely to end badly as at some point air travel and tourism will be the first knee jerk reaction to a Climate threshold being crossed either for real or in people's perceptions if recent flooding and wildfires go up another notch in pervasiveness or intensity or both.  and now tourism is at least 20% of the Thai economy.  that's huge.  and unlike a financial crisis, it won't have an easy rebound.  so that only leaves those of us who have made a 'real life' here in the mean time.  this is not really a very big story at all, westerners leaving.  I feel sorry for them though, I have become quite "Thai" myself.  example, what I just write about, the threshold thing.  most ordinary everyday Thai folks 'get it'.  most in the West don't want to, yet are more vulnerable than the Thai who are... much more self sufficient if (when) it does get a lot worse.    

34 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Of course many other Asians including Chinese won't mind. 

Yes of course.

That was my point!....

Hope the truth is not a problem.

Thanks for confirming. ????

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Too many Falang think they are so important to this place.

Their arrogance and demanding attitudes is a big reason for the deterioration of Falang being wanted and appreciated here.

This place to me seems to be at the point they do not care about Falang.  If you leave or not, so what is how they feel.

What is happening?  You are being replaced by a smarter, richer, more appreciated Asian neighbor.

If it were not for the Chinese influence here now, the real estate market some of the major towns would be in a great recession.  Especially Pattaya they are the major foreign buyers by a big majority in Pattaya.

Falangs truly seem to be contributing little to the new economy even though their ego tells them different.  The white/western attitudes and thinking seem to be a thing of the past.  I feel sorry for none of them.

Below is a photo of the Q condos in Bangkok.  Nana skytrain area.

Anyone that knows it realizes it is a good general location, but smack dab in the middle of many of the undesirables in central BKK.  

I went in just for fun and was told by the rep. a handful of these places were sold to Falang.

The rest are mostly Chinese, Japan, and some Korea buying the higher end places.

These people are bringing in and spending real money here.

Sorry, but generally Falang are now I believe a thought/thing of the past.

Things have and will come around and go around.  That's life.....just deal with it and accept it.

IMG_20190330_154722462.jpg

When you forget or ignore Thai Rule #1 (Money #1) you’re setting yourself up for failure. 

Also, when Thais say, “up to you” they really mean that sh*t.