Britain's Labour leader sees 'real problem' of anti-Semitism in party

rooster59

Britain's Labour leader sees 'real problem' of anti-Semitism in party

800x800 (6).jpg

FILE PHOTO: The leader of Britain's Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn attends a housing policy event in London, April 19, 2018. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - The leader of Britain's opposition Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, said on Friday there was a "real problem" of anti-Semitism in his party which he would root out, but he also hit back at strong criticism of Labour from Jewish newspapers.

In an article written for The Guardian newspaper, Corbyn stopped short of agreeing to adopt in full an internationally accepted definition of anti-Semitism, along with a series of examples, as sought by Jewish groups.

Corbyn, a veteran campaigner for Palestinian rights and a critic of Israel, has been hit by accusations that Labour has tolerated anti-Semitism among some of its members.

Last week, Jewish newspapers said Labour would represent an "existential threat to Jewish life in this country" if it won power.

Corbyn said in Friday's article that he did not accept a Labour government would represent any kind of threat to Jewish life in Britain.

"That is the kind of overheated rhetoric that can surface during emotional political debates," he said. "But I do acknowledge there is a real problem that Labour is working to overcome."

He said if he was prime minister he would guarantee the security of Jewish communities and drive anti-Semitism out of the party. He also acknowledged Labour had been too slow process cases of anti-Semitic abuse.

Corbyn has previously apologised for what he called "pockets" of anti-Semitism in Labour and has promised to stamp them out.

Labour has taken a modest lead over Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservative Party, according to some opinion polls. The next national election is scheduled to take place only in 2022 but could occur sooner depending on May's ability to steer Britain, and her party, through Brexit.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-04

Sefic to say that England history is riddled with shameful mistreatment of it's jews, from the days of King Edward I's Edict of Expulsion in 1290 all the way to the British mandate in Palestine were jews were accused, massacred, hung, burned robbed and the remaining finally exiled, jews were targeted by the king to finance his war against  Wales and they couldn't pay no more they were rounded taken to the tower of london and executed, history later wasn't king to England jews either, persecution of jews continues followed by more cruelty and death just because they were jews,  so yes, the jews of britain has a lot to be concerned about...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What has happened to our country; how have we allowed it to get to the point where a racist thugs like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is considered to be a repressed, working class hero and Corbyn is labelled an anti-semite? 

Why aren't white Christian folk allowed a 'home country'?

Every other race and religion seems to have one.

Corbyn is irrelevant because he's just too old and can someone on his second foreign wife really represent the people of the UK?.

At 62, I can hardly remember where I put my keys, let alone attempt to run a country.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You should be a bit more specific - what, exactly, do you want to change? The UK is predominantly white, predominantly Christian (although, of course, the vast majority of those who profess to be Christian probably cannot remember the last time they set foot in a church, me included), we have unelected representatives of the CoE sitting in the House of Lords, presiding over every part of the UK, not just England - what is missing here that you think would make it better?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Sefic to say that England history is riddled with shameful mistreatment of it's jews, from the days of King Edward I's Edict of Expulsion in 1290 all the way to the British mandate in Palestine were jews were accused, massacred, hung, burned robbed and the remaining finally exiled, jews were targeted by the king to finance his war against  Wales and they couldn't pay no more they were rounded taken to the tower of london and executed, history later wasn't king to England jews either, persecution of jews continues followed by more cruelty and death just because they were jews,  so yes, the jews of britain has a lot to be concerned about...

Perhaps you could also give us a history of the persecution of Jews by other Jews in Israel?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Corbyn is irrelevant because he's just too old and can someone on his second foreign wife really represent the people of the UK?.

At 62, I can hardly remember where I put my keys, let alone attempt to run a country.

Christianity is a religion. Judaism is a religion. Being a Jew is being a member of an ethnic race. Not all Jews follow Judaism. Btw Islam is a religion. Many followers are Arabic, but many are not. You need to understand the difference between race and religion.

Corbyn is an old fashioned left wing extremist who has some very dangerous policies should he ever get elected. He and his advisers are clever enough to focus on the more popular policies. But,  his marital status and where his wife comes from are irrelevant. Ageism should have no part, any more than homophobia or racism.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Be fair, it's amazing he "discovered" that Edward 1 was a member of the Labor and that the party existed in the 13 Century ?

Well, technically Jesus was a leftist, who trashed markets run by Jews at temples. So I guess the history goes even further.

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

What has happened to our country; how have we allowed it to get to the point where a racist thugs like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is considered to be a repressed, working class hero and Corbyn is labelled an anti-semite? 

Nice try to hide the hate of Corbyn using the hate of Yaxley-Lennon. There is a BIG difference because Yaxley Lennon is open and transparent on his views. Corbyn lies and denies, and keeps getting caught in his deceit. , Corbyn is in public office and has the responsibilities which accompany them. Corbyn is indeed an anti-semite. Only those who need to shield their own  bias against the jews  cling to the virtue of Corbyn.

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Perhaps you could also give us a history of the persecution of Jews by other Jews in Israel?

I am unaware of the Israeli jews sending anyone to their mass death or calling for it.. There is discrimination and injustice for sure, but there is also a functioning judicial system with which to seek redress.

16 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Well, technically Jesus was a leftist, who trashed markets run by Jews at temples. So I guess the history goes even further.

Popular myth but in reality, Jesus was a fundamentalist because he espoused core values. He was apolitical and it is downright ridiculous to apply late 20th century notions and labels to someone who reportedly lived 20,000+ years ago when there was no liberal or conservative position. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yeah right, but you forgot to mention how Jews were welcomed in the 19th century when being severely persecuted in Eastern Europe and how they flourished in politics, commerce, arts and academia. 

You are chanting the sort of rhetoric most British Jews abhor.

Good post.

Also not forgetting that Britain took in thousands of European Jewish refugees,  just prior to, during and post WW2, whereas many other countries closed their borders to them, including Switzerland, Canada and the United States.

During the 19th century, Jews flourished in Britain, especially in the East End of London, from where on they prospered, some continuing on to America and most moving to other more prosperous parts of Britain. There has always been anti-Semitism in most countries, Britain being no exception, Oswald Mosley and his, British Union of Fascists for example. But generally over the last few hundred years, although Jews just because they were Jews were victims of discrimination and prejudice, compared with many other countries, Jews have enjoyed relative freedoms and fair treatment in Britain and really don`t have much to complain about. 

Those that consider themselves Jews first and British second, and want to leave because the nasty man doesn`t like them, then I doubt if anyone actually cares.

25 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Nice try to hide the hate of Corbyn using the hate of Yaxley-Lennon. There is a BIG difference because Yaxley Lennon is open and transparent on his views. Corbyn lies and denies, and keeps getting caught in his deceit. , Corbyn is in public office and has the responsibilities which accompany them. Corbyn is indeed an anti-semite. Only those who need to shield their own  bias against the jews  cling to the virtue of Corbyn.

I am unaware of the Israeli jews sending anyone to their mass death or calling for it.. There is discrimination and injustice for sure, but there is also a functioning judicial system with which to seek redress.

Popular myth but in reality, Jesus was a fundamentalist because he espoused core values. He was apolitical and it is downright ridiculous to apply late 20th century notions and labels to someone who reportedly lived 20,000+ years ago when there was no liberal or conservative position. 

“Only those who need to shield their own  bias against the jews  cling to the virtue of Corbyn.”

That settles the That then!

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ll take your posts a bit more seriously when I see you yourself learning the lessons of history and challenging all racism in British society, and elsewhere.

For the time being nothing you have said has any relevance to the UK’s Labour Party.

What are you on about? Challenging all racism??? you want me to challenge racism?  i just a guy who post stuff just like anyone else here...

and beside, has anything i have said was incorrect? were the facts wrong? the OP was about the UK jewish community concern of anti semitism sentiments of the labor party, history is reaping itself, why would anyone want to be anti semite? for what purpose if not to appeal to masses that are still harbouring anti semitic views and  opinions...

• Confused 2

I see this as a hopeful sign. Purge labour of their very real antisemitism problem will only serve to strengthen their movement over time. That is, if it's more than just lip service. OK, chances are it's just lip service but keep an open mind for now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Good post.

Also not forgetting that Britain took in thousands of European Jewish refugees,  just prior to, during and post WW2, whereas many other countries closed their borders to them, including Switzerland, Canada and the United States.

During the 19th century, Jews flourished in Britain, especially in the East End of London, from where on they prospered, some continuing on to America and most moving to other more prosperous parts of Britain. There has always been anti-Semitism in most countries, Britain being no exception, Oswald Mosley and his, British Union of Fascists for example. But generally over the last few hundred years, although Jews just because they were Jews were victims of discrimination and prejudice, compared with many other countries, Jews have enjoyed relative freedoms and fair treatment in Britain and really don`t have much to complain about. 

Those that consider themselves Jews first and British second, and want to leave because the nasty man doesn`t like them, then I doubt if anyone actually cares.

Again, have you forgotten the British mandate in Palestine 1923-1948 where boats laden with Nazi refugees has been imprisoned, and turned back to nazi germany while in Palestine itself the British sided with the local arab population against the uprising jewish guerrilla groups, imprisoning and hanging many accused of subversive acts against the british, so yes, let's just say that jews were never the darling of the british people, they were tolerated that's all.... 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Again, have you forgotten the British mandate in Palestine 1923-1948 where boats laden with Nazi refugees has been imprisoned, and turned back to nazi germany while in Palestine itself the British sided with the local arab population against the uprising jewish guerrilla groups, imprisoning and hanging many accused of subversive acts against the british, so yes, let's just say that jews were never the darling of the british people, they were tolerated that's all.... 

What’s that got to do with today’s Labour Party under Corbyn? 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:
Israel is a stigma among the Jews and this is the crux of the matter.   Many Jews worldwide and among the British Jews consider being critical of Israel and critical of Zionism is being anti Semitic, they have lumped the 3 together. In other words one cannot be critical of Israel and it`s political rhetoric without being a far right or far left Jew hating fanatic.  This then falls under the racism and hate laws, that has an opposite effect of creating more anti Jewish feeling among the mainstream political factions and populations of their birth countries.

Most of my fellow Brits, including myself, have no prejudices against Jewish people just because they are simply Jewish or of Jewish ancestry and regard them just other British people. I won`t use the old cliché; well, some of my best friends are Jewish and therefore must mean I`m not an anti Semite. Over the years when back in England, I had many friends, some were Jewish and never knew and did not care they were Jewish until maybe one of them told me, and if they did, that meant no more to me than someone having Scottish, Irish, Welsh or any other type of British ancestry. It meant nothing. One of my brother`s married a Jewish girl, so what?

My guess is; the Jews that protest against Jeremy Corbyn the most are of the more Zionist kind. To me Israel is just another foreign country, as it is to most Brits and really couldn`t care less about it. And if Jeremy Corbyn is anti Israel and Pro Palestinian, who cares except the Jews that regard Israel as their true homeland before Britain. So as I said previously, if these Jews decide to move to their promised land, they won`t be missed and bon voy-age.

It's not as cut and dried as you seem to suggest. Much criticism of Israel is not tainted with Jew hatred but some definitely is.

You're wildly exaggerating if you suggest that there are very many Jews in any country that believe any and all criticism of Israel is antisemitic. I call BS on that.

As far as your disgusting Jew hating rhetoric that all British Jews pointing out Jew hatred in Labour are more loyal to Israel, that flavor of garbage attack is as old as the hills. Jews seen as the other.

Expanding on that --

"This false accusation of disloyalty to country was a central tenet of Nazism, Stalinism and other anti-Semitic regimes. Today, it is the mantra of Jew haters and neo-Nazis."

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/odious-israel-libel-article-1.1028212

Funny you rarely hear such filthy attacks against Brits with an Italian background that may feel affection for Italy.

This article expands on the Corbyn/Labour issues - -

Jeremy Corbyn says he respects Jewish affection for Israel

https://www.jta.org/2018/08/03/news-opinion/jeremy-corbyn-says-he-respects-jewish-affection-for-israel

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Jesus lived 20 000+ years ago ? :crazy:

• Haha 2