Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

On 8/5/2018 at 9:05 AM, rooster59 said:

expats may own their own rooms, houses

You can't own your own house thanks to Thai racist and archaic laws as I have just found out to my cost.

Forming a company is a gigantic scam involving lawyers; auditors; estate agents and predatory wives.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

A 3000 baht room would likely be a very false economy, but I agree a single man could very easily live in Bangkok or Pattaya for 30,000 and perhaps under.

It's been a few years since I did it, but by my reckoning the following adds up to at least decent survival:

1. 8000-  An ok room with mod cons, air-con, and possibly internet and exercise area downstairs.

2. 4000 bills including some use of air con.

3. 3000- Thai health insurance policy

4  2000- slush fund for incidental health expenses such as dentistry.

5.  6000 - for household daily food and groceries, new tshirts, sandals, etc.

6.  1000 for travelling around (may not even be required if living central Pattaya)

7.   1000 Phone and internet.

8.  1000 for things not covered above.

9. 2000 slush fund for new gadgets, replace broken appliances.

There might be a 10k outlay to start with to buy some cost cutting essentials: kettle, microwave, for instance.

It's really the beer, fags, and birds that will require a doubling of the budget if done regularly.

Note: the decent, humble food we should be eating is cheap, eg, an 8 serving pack of porridge oats is currently less than 50 baht at Big C.  

Who needs an *ok room*? Here in BKK you need to calculate 18-20K/month for 45-50m² (30k if you want to stay close to BTS/MRT)And where are the costs for out-dining? My gf and I for example never cook at home. Why should we, if you can get a decent dinner for 500THB for 2.

If you calculate per person it`s still less than 45k/month though. I also know that type of farang spending 50k+ just for food/booze per month. But that makes 0 sense for me. Having money doesn`t mean you should throw it out the window. Those guys are the ones paying 500 Baht for a package of cereals, ignoring the buy one get one free offer for 300Baht next to it. 

Thanks for reminding us that this is a wonderful country to live.
Two people back home in the last year have said what ever you do don’t move back to Britain.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
Who knows what their circumstances might be? And why are they still there if it is so bad?

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, SpanishExpat said:

Who needs an *ok room*? Here in BKK you need to calculate 18-20K/month for 45-50m² (30k if you want to stay close to BTS/MRT)And where are the costs for out-dining? My gf and I for example never cook at home. Why should we, if you can get a decent dinner for 500THB for 2.

If you calculate per person it`s still less than 45k/month though. I also know that type of farang spending 50k+ just for food/booze per month. But that makes 0 sense for me. Having money doesn`t mean you should throw it out the window. Those guys are the ones paying 500 Baht for a package of cereals, ignoring the buy one get one free offer for 300Baht next to it. 

Well, I guess nobody wants to do it.  Of course if you have more money then you upgrade pretty quickly.

Dining costs? Well you wouldn't do much of it because you will be eating cheaply in your room.  

But the headline subject of the thread is about having 45k or less per month on which to live.  You have missed the point.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

45k is doable OK. Serious boozing and/or a live-in are what knocks borderline finances.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, for sure.  30k would cover basics quite comprehensively. 15k for luxuries.  Still, not ideal of course, but you have to cut your cloth.....

I'd say at 45k you're actually having quite a decent life.  If you're not you have to ask what's gone wrong.

• Like 2

My wife and I set aside 45k a month for living expenses. However, I don't pay rent as I own my house. 45K gives us a decent living. But I am working full time and we only go out once or twice a week. 

If you are a tourist in Thailand you will need a bag of money for a month.
if you live there for a long time you need one quarter of a bag of money.

If you have 45,000 ฿ per month. you are 4.5 times better living conditions than a house slave who has 9000 ฿ per month.

https://retirecheap.asia/retirement-budget-calculator/

Edited by Bangkokazy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

I also know that type of farang spending 50k+ just for food/booze per month. But that makes 0 sense for me. Having money doesn`t mean you should throw it out the window.

Judging people because they are successful and have great money?

No, it means they can do what they want when they want.

Why does Tiger Woods spend 20 million dollars on a boat?

Because he can.

Unfortunately, it seems you have no clue about the luxury and comfort of having large funds.

50 k for food and booze is minimum.  Add some lady time it is easily 100k.

There are very successful people here who do no have to pinch pennies and worry about the price of chicken on a menu.... 

It is called risking and planning and being smart.  Seems a concept sadly unknown by many.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Perhaps, but anyone who locks him/herself in a room 24/7 with ac's running chose the wrong country to live in.

Thailand can be very hot and/or very humid. Running an a/c 24/7 is what wealthy people do when living in the tropics, just like wealthy people do living in the extreme heat of the Middle East.

Perhaps you’re just jealous that you’re not wealthy enough to enjoy air conditioning 24/7.

• Like 1

Thailand can be very hot and/or very humid. Running an a/c 24/7 is what wealthy people do when living in the tropics, just like wealthy people do living in the extreme heat of the Middle East.
Perhaps you’re just jealous that you’re not wealthy enough to enjoy air conditioning 24/7.
And you should ask yourself why you are here? Better settle in some temperate or cold country if you're not getting used to the heat.
Besides that you're sweating like a pig if you spend 24/7 in AC room and being outside for 5 minutes because your body isn't used to it.
  • Like 2

Stop moaning about money please. The average foreigner here makes twice what an average Thai makes if it isnt more.

I make about 30k a month and have nothing to complain. Especially when I think about that I chose THAILAND to live in. Then don't expect to go up in salary compared to your own country.

If you see some homeless people next to the street, try telling him how hard life is with less than 45k.
Amen. Couldn't have said it better.
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jo3200 said:

I live directly next to Airport Link Hua Mak in a condo for 7.5k with gym and swimming pool. The room is big enough for 2 people with a living room, bedroom, kitchen, balcony and bathroom. Fully furnished with a TV, washing machine and cooking plate.

2 stations and Im at the MRT.

Bangkok is not only Sukhumvit.

Thousands of apartments near MRT Purple for less than that, but as long as it is ridiculously crowded from Bang Su on, I avoid it and kind of like the busses.  Ferry isn't bad either.  Now in a few years, at 60, you might see me on the afternoon train to Cowboy..should give them enough time to figure out they need a decent promotion during HH.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CLW said:
22 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:
Judging people because they are successful and have great money?

No, it means they can do what they want when they want.
Why does Tiger Woods spend 20 million dollars on a boat?
Because he can.
Unfortunately, it seems you have no clue about the luxury and comfort of having large funds.
50 k for food and booze is minimum.  Add some lady time it is easily 100k.
There are very successful people here who do no have to pinch pennies and worry about the price of chicken on a menu.... 
It is called risking and planning and being smart.  Seems a concept sadly unknown by many.

Sounds like you are rich but lacking other skills.

Sure yes, thank you,

Sorry, you are jealous? ????

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jo3200 said:

The average foreigner here makes twice what an average Thai makes if it isnt more.

Not in Bangkok. my ex on 87k a month and GF before that was a ffutures trader , don't know what she earnt but driving a new beemer. 30k is the lower end for middle class Thais and even sukhumvit stall holders selling fake garbage at 500 % mark up are minimum 30k

Every car on sukhimvit is late model with countless 200k Mercedes

The day of the big bwana  with his powerful currencies and big pension is looooong gone and are now in the position of being overtaken financially by the natives in a second world country, at least in Bangkok

• Like 1

Also saw a comment, cant find it anymore, but the cost of electricity and water were going through the roof compared to here. What are you even doing? My bills all together are 2k and any moment Im home, I have my aircon on even at night. It's not what you think, but also quite long hot showers.