Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

17 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
1 hour ago, Myran said:

My partner could have chosen a $ millionaire when we first met,

Did she told you that? :whistling:

He's different.

But while I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory posited above of Thai women getting their house, there are enough young attractive women here in LOS who understand the concept -- without maybe knowing the term -- of Net Present Value (NPV) and will be happy enough with what they get today without worrying about what's  maybe down-the-road.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Those are the numbers for a LEGAL retirement VISA extension.

Different rules for a VISA based on retirement.
(and there are many different VISAs available all with different terms, conditions and financial requirements)

I'm really suggesting you read between the lines?  You only need Bt16,000?   Hmmmm

Live like a Thai (10k to 20k thb) , or live like a westerner (40k to 100k thb)  ,

Some people prefer to live like a Thai . After all, this is Thailand. 

If you choose to live like a Thai , you are happy to have a room of your own or share a room and only pay 3-4000 in rent. 

Then no problem to live on up to 20k , it's the rent that is a killer if you're on a budget . 

Live like a westerner , and be prepared to pay the price, 50k up .

Or you can  find a middle way and live comfortably on a low income , but not spending too much on unhealthy western food. Pay for a nice condo 10k and you should be fine on a salary of 40k. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Take money out of the equation and try and answer my question. Where is the benefit to the native population in allowing old single men into the country?  Not much that I can think of except siring children who will be fatherless by the time they start high school when the old fellow croaks it.

What an aspiration for a developing country!

Let's face it - the majority of the TVF posters seem to hate Thailand, Thai culture and Thai people. 

They are economic refugees pure and simple.  Their intelligence level is also questionable if they find that after a lifetime of work they do not have the funds to live as they choose but HAVE to move to Thailand.  Then they start saying how good life in Cambodia is when they realise the can't afford to live in Thailand. 

I guess Bangladesh will become appealing to folk of this ilk eventually. 

Take money out of the equation?

We are talking about Thailand aren't we ??

How would taking money out of any equation be pertinent to Thailand?

The silent majority of retirees here have money , and are getting on with things and dont have the time to sit  moaning on this hole.. you are just hearing from the whingers who participate because its free.

And 'siring' children is well off the mark when it comes to my crew.

4 of we 6 are raising some other fellows babies !

And doing so happily !

Kids really liven up Retirement.

So there you go , spending money on things like restaurants and shopping and golfing and touring...and on kids and Thai  wives  - all net gains to Thailand. So now its your turn to tell me how single Western women could be a great "aspiration" for LOS !

However , I must agree with the paragraph starting with "Lets face it .."

Not only am I startled by some of the posts in regards to the posters meely mouth negativity , Im genuinely surprised  by a couple of Californians assertions that the only reason they live in Thailand is because of the costs ! It beggars belief they  werent aware that  their Nirvana ( of cheapness ) is just a few short  hours  flight away in Panama , Costa Rica or Guatemala ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Where is the benefit to the native population in allowing old single men into the country?  Not much that I can think of except siring children who will be fatherless by the time they start high school when the old fellow croaks it.

From what I've observed,

Most old single foreign men pay all the expenses of raising Thai men's children, old foreign men are saving the Thai government from paying welfare to single Thai moms. Even the old foreigners siring their own kids, usually have a couple of cuckoos in the nest.

I've helped with the next door kids high school and university fees, and I haven't shagged mom or daughter, just felt a bit sorry for them.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thank you for your reply, but

Are you claiming you've bought her a house outright and she still has sex with you 2-3x a week?

(because nothing you've typed appears relevant to my theory, one way or the other)

Nearly all the men posting they live on under 45k/month appear to be single (like me).

Not relevant? Do you suffer from some sort of learning disability or poor reading comprehension? You claim that all women only bang for money and that women don't love men. If my partner only wanted money, she clearly wouldn't have chosen me over some rich guy. No, I haven't bought her a house as she doesn't want one.

If you're continously striking out with the ladies and ending up with gold diggers, perhaps you need a change of scenery, mate? Get out of the bars and meet some normal girls. I'm sure your experience will improve greatly.

I'm rooting for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Wasn’t a plant?

Well now that you mention it, it could've been an elaborate ruse to bag a piss poor farang. I hope she didn't spend a fortune on getting the relatively well-known businessman to play his part ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nearly all the men posting they live on under 45k/month appear to be single (like me).

You appear to be clueless about Farangs and Thai ladies.

I live on less than 45.000 a month, have wife, do not pay for anybodys children.

All your comments so far on this thread have been rubbished by me and other posters.

You appear to have been unlucky in love, change your scene, get away from bars, there are many decent honest Thai ladies out there, go look and maybe you will be lucky.

• Like 1

Those are the numbers for a LEGAL retirement VISA extension.

Different rules for a VISA based on retirement.
(and there are many different VISAs available all with different terms, conditions and financial requirements)
Yes, they require that much income. However there is no requirement that you spend that much.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tryasimight said:

The house I live in ( the wife's)  has no common fees ( why would it) and no insurance either ( why bother it's made of brick and steel. Not likely to burn down and any storm damage is easy and cheap to repair).

Your situation has never been discussed - it was about those expats who owned their own home and car.

On 8/5/2018 at 5:05 AM, rooster59 said:

Roughly half of the respondents earn over 65,000 baht and many a lot more.

That is what I am concerned about which is never think of living below  the government required funds for living decent retirement life. I guess.

Edited by Different

2 hours ago, Myran said:

Not relevant? Do you suffer from some sort of learning disability or poor reading comprehension? You claim that all women only bang for money and that women don't love men. If my partner only wanted money, she clearly wouldn't have chosen me over some rich guy. No, I haven't bought her a house as she doesn't want one.

If you're continously striking out with the ladies and ending up with gold diggers, perhaps you need a change of scenery, mate? Get out of the bars and meet some normal girls. I'm sure your experience will improve greatly.

I'm rooting for you!

As I said before and I'll say it again "if things don't change they will be just the same".  Much of what is contained here was written about by a famous Englishman many years ago "it all much to do about nothing"  Thailand is much about  Mutually Beneficial Relationships (MBRs).  There is only a problem if there is a victim.  Most farangs revel in the company of a younger Thai Lady, most younger Thai ladies, not all but most revel in the company of a older farangs who is usually happy to share his limited funds with her...yes a Mutually Beneficial Relationship.  Can't see much wrong with that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

They're all for sale, but sometimes not at a public auction.

Hell, I'm for sale too, but nobody has ever offered to buy me.

I think you are still in the man-is-the-breadwinner mode; which sees any relationship as the man paying for it. If the woman has a career or other assets which can support her well, she is hardly for sale; especially if she takes a man with less. Likewise, any woman who works for the relationship and shares expenses and investments with her man; is hardly for sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Thailand is much about  Mutually Beneficial Relationships (MBRs).  There is only a problem if there is a victim.  Most farangs revel in the company of a younger Thai Lady, most younger Thai ladies, not all but most revel in the company of a older farangs who is usually happy to share his limited funds with her...yes a Mutually Beneficial Relationship.  Can't see much wrong with that.

Me neither, and as I have often posted...……...if the dynamics of that relationship are understood and adhered to, then all can be fine. 

It can go wrong when the relationship moves out of balance/synch, very often by the farang not realising that it is based on trust/respect and not love as we know it.

36 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I think you are still in the man-is-the-breadwinner mode; which sees any relationship as the man paying for it. If the woman has a career or other assets which can support her well, she is hardly for sale; especially if she takes a man with less. Likewise, any woman who works for the relationship and shares expenses and investments with her man; is hardly for sale.

Well what's new I not sure if that has the case for 50,000 years or only 5000 years...take your pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Do you get married the next day as well ?

Joint bank accounts on day 3

New pick up day 4 ?

10 baht gold day 5 ?  :giggle:

Brother come stay day 6 !!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t: :smile:

Well what's different in the West?  If that's your understanding of Thailand perhaps you should stay out of the country forever.  Oh! and by the way I'm not allowed to marry 3 people at a time even in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Well what's different in the West?  If that's your understanding of Thailand perhaps you should stay out of the country forever.  Oh! and by the way I'm not allowed to marry 3 people at a time even in Thailand.

Been here 21 years now. maybe having a clue has made sure im still here.

You know nothing, my advice to you is, hang on to your money

your to old to go and get more. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, David Walden said:

When I am back in Australia I am entitled to Govt Medicare cover.  When I leave it stops.   If I'm out of the country and have medical problem and can get back to Aus I'm still covered.  Having private cover as well is suspended whilst out of the country but I must still pay the premium, so I let it lapse after 31 years with Medibank Private.  Travel insurance only covers you for repairing you enough so that the insurers can transport you back to Aus so you can receive the free Govt. hospital treatment in Aus.  Travel insurance does not cover you for any pre-existing problems nor do most insurers cover you if you are over 70 Y/O.  I'm 76 none of these insurers will provide any cover for me. I'm in fairly good health for my age  My only worry which I don't give a hoot about is if I have a catastrophic injury or sickness.  I do have a enough cash reserves (I think) to get back Aus to get the free Govt hospital and medical treatment.

I've been here for 17 years ,work and retirement and am 76.During that time I have been back to Australia about 9 times. 

Years back it was confirmed I was no longer covered by Medicare as I had been out of the country,in their opinion, too long despite 40+ years of paying tax (unlike UK and US citizens)

I have been told that I would have to become a permanent Australian resident again to be accepted back into the system

If you happen to have a heart attack,operation or serious illness here  it could cost you up to, or over, a million baht as it has for a friend of mine.

If you visibly sick you may also be refused entry to the plane to return to Australia as they have strict conditions regarding their obligations for your state of health during the flight.

I dont have enough savings to cover a major health issue and while my wife & i  have no debts and our own home ,or hers obviously,may have to go.

The only other option maybe is to throw yourself on the mercy of a Gov Hospital and pay it off.  ?

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I can promise you that on any day I could at the age of 76 Y/O go out in the morning in the town I live and find 3 nice ladies who will move in long term with me that day..

Well you say they would be 'nice' but 3 women living with you sounds pretty kinky to me.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

She's not having sex with you, which actually proves my point (you may be the ideal husband).

There are plenty of women living in sexless relationships with men, and the excuses for that are legion, but they all have a house.

And they nearly all double your monthy spend (making it hard to live on under 45k/month)

Was going to reply to Colins post but your first 2 sentances nearly word for word what i was to write.555

As for the last sentance, is true,

but actually every time i sent my ex gf to go Isaan i spent well over 45k a month.

Farang foods (cheese, Italian Salami etc)

red wine, restaurants, beer and

errr other entertainment expenses 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, David Walden said:

You could move to Oman or Saudi and have your 3 wives.

• Haha 1