Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

They, that is "many people" in Thailand have been talking about basic heath and accident cover for farangs and holiday makers in Thailand sponsored by the Thai Govt. for many years.  That is a cover witch is first diagnosed as an accident or sickness in Thailand and whilst you are staying in Thailand...I'd like to know if any progress is being made, how much it might cost and above all where to find it.  Perhaps an excess would appropriate to avoid frivolous claims or just provide repatriation to their home country which have free hospital and medical services (almost free like Australia).

With the digital age machines similar to bank ATMS could be placed at entry points to the country to dispense policies for this cove.   (perhaps this question should be in a new subject?

There's a big debate in the UK over "health-tourism". The UK can't afford this (Britain's £2 trillion in debt). Nigeria seems to be the source of many of the patients, especially women with problem pregnancies. (A few years ago, one showed-up pregnant with triplets & "ectopic", apparently it cost the health service an estimated £143,000, before she jumped back on the "Lagos-Express", with her 3 bouncing bundles of joy!!).

As every Brit knows, the health service is "free at the point of use", but we know that in the UK you can barely move without being taxed in order to pay for it!??

Why should ordinary Thais possibly move down a waiting list for a non-Thai?! I spent 20 years in the LOS, with many retired farang that I've known over the years, I believe that healthcare played a very big role in persuading retirees to return "home". (That, and education for their kids (understandably)).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

You can't live in a lot of the west with 45000 baht yet farang think they're big timers in Thailand if they've got 45000 to spend a month. 

Part of the problem being, lots of these people are going to want to carry-on as they did on holiday (understandably), when they had $1,000+ a week to spend on wine, women, & song!!???

can you add me to the list?

Last month I lived on 55 million baht, bought a condo.

One month I lived in the jungles and ate wild berries from my hammock.  maybe put down 500 baht for good measure.

One month I was in Pattaya....... put down 200,0000 but tell my husband 2,000.

This survey doesn't mean anything to me......what I want to know?  What's in your bank account, assets here and back home, and monthly cash coming in........basically, how many months can you stay here?

I can spend 200k a month for x amount of months, then I go back to the jungles.  

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Why should ordinary Thais possibly move down a waiting list for a non-Thai?!

There isn't a waiting list (as far as I know), if you turn up, you will be fixed the same day.

They seem to keep working until everyone is'fixed'.

Sure, people with money can 'queue jump', but most Thais who aren't paying seem fairly happy to sit and wait.

5 hours ago, oyster said:

This while Thais appear much richer in showing off their goods ... Thais are very proud and competitive, the car being the foremost example. A few years ago I bought a secondhand car... 7 years old, reasonable, negotiated the price down to 150,000- by insisting I did the refurbs and replacements. That car did very well for 4 years. There was a lot of point scoring by locals with new cars as my wife informed me. OK I replied but how many are on finance, or mortgaged the farm to drive them (most) and eventually many met the repro man. Mine might be secondhand BUT it's paid for. I now have a new car, well when the agent offers 200,000 for a car you originally paid 150,000 for and was definitely on its last legs it's not hard to say yes, also paid for. Finance was offered, but I prefer an asset I can liquidate if required.

Cars made in Thailand and exported to Australia are up to 20% cheaper in Aus.  This suggests  bigger sales tax, bigger margins, bigger profits which allows bigger trade in prices then in Aus. and finally bigger kick backs to to the super wealthy in Thailand.  I can add up to grade 3 maths.. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not all of us need to have more than 25,000 a month, and if living in the family home may need less than that.

However, big expenses are insurance and visa requirements, so would always need a fund to cover non living expenses.

No one needs much of anything beyond basic living substance and yes, some people will call that living.

It is not a matter of needing, it is a matter of earning.

You have to live with what you earn when it all comes down to it.

You cannot possible need more than you earn and think that is ever going to work out.

So people live with what they earn period.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There isn't a waiting list (as far as I know), if you turn up, you will be fixed the same day.

They seem to keep working until everyone is'fixed'.

Sure, people with money can 'queue jump', but most Thais who aren't paying seem fairly happy to sit and wait.

They also tell us that having 8-10 million more people in the UK can only be good for the NHS.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:38 AM, Andrew65 said:

There's a big debate in the UK over "health-tourism". The UK can't afford this (Britain's £2 trillion in debt). Nigeria seems to be the source of many of the patients, especially women with problem pregnancies. (A few years ago, one showed-up pregnant with triplets & "ectopic", apparently it cost the health service an estimated £143,000, before she jumped back on the "Lagos-Express", with her 3 bouncing bundles of joy!!).

As every Brit knows, the health service is "free at the point of use", but we know that in the UK you can barely move without being taxed in order to pay for it!??

Why should ordinary Thais possibly move down a waiting list for a non-Thai?! I spent 20 years in the LOS, with many retired farang that I've known over the years, I believe that healthcare played a very big role in persuading retirees to return "home". (That, and education for their kids (understandably)).

My point is if you are required to have even limited accident and sickness cover in Thailand it's unlikely to cost anything for Thailand consuming these premiums in their hospital system.  It would have to be compulsory and no frills, just essential cover or prove you are covered by with an independent company on arrival.  In the US if you don't have travel insurance "you die".  Thailand just might come out with a profit.  The biggest hurdle would be getting it past the established Travel health cover providers.  They make billions and billions out of travel insurance.  The ratio of premiums collected to claims settled with travel insurance is very low and the policy conditions have as many holes as Swiss cheese.

Edited by David Walden
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, David Walden said:

My point is if you are required to have even limited accident and sickness cover in Thailand it's unlikely to cost anything for Thailand consuming these premiums in their hospital system.  It would have to be compulsory and no frills, just essential cover or prove you are covered by with an independent company on arrival.  In the US if you don't have travel insurance "you die".  Thailand just might come out with a profit.  The biggest hurdle would be getting it past the established Travel health cover providers.  They make billions and billions out of travel insurance.  The ratio of premiums collected to claims settled with travel insurance is very low and the policy conditions have as many holes as Swiss cheese.

ERs in the US cant turn people away, unfortunately, but you might wish you were dead after battling their collectors....unless you have zero assets..then no worries.

Far too many variables to consider. Depends upon where you live in this country, what your overhead is (rent, utilities, meals, etc), how much 'partying you feel you have to do at your age (parties do not make you younger!), and how honest you were with your Thai significant other. Personally, I manage on $700 per month (21,000 bht aprox.) leaving me with a very healthy balance from investments and pension. so everything is relative.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 11:38 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not all of us need to have more than 25,000 a month, and if living in the family home may need less than that.

However, big expenses are insurance and visa requirements, so would always need a fund to cover non living expenses.

I run an accrual "fund" like that in my main BKK Bank account.  A modern version of the old envelope system my parents used when they were first starting out.   I moved it from ledgers and check book registers, to an Excel spreadsheet in recent years.

Break down annual bills, like car insurance, for example, into monthly amounts and write it off the books each month (put it in the proverbial envelope).  When the bill comes 12 months later, the full amount is there, ready to go.   Takes self-discipline but works great.

54 minutes ago, moontang said:

ERs in the US cant turn people away, unfortunately, but you might wish you were dead after battling their collectors....unless you have zero assets..then no worries.

Very true.

On this, there is no debtors prison.

They cannot put you in jail for not paying.

Just harass the heck out of you and ruin your credit.

don't forget about the many places, where there is nothing worth buying...now that is a problem.  Like, when you can't find a bar serving cold beers, or you can't find a restaurant with reasonable hygiene practices.  Those things need to be looked at a lot more than how much cowboy pensioners have after supporting able bodied Thais.....in most cases, it will still be a lot more than the up to their ears in debt locals.

• Confused 2

Not surprising, although 45,000 bsht per month is a lot more than most Thais earn per month, depending on geographic areas of Thailand.

The good old days are long gone. Thailand has become expensive. Too many Thai landlords, business owners etc, keep ripping the FARANG off! Period!

My question is this, for the mass investments contributed toward both Thai society plus economy, from foreign investments plus tourism, would Thais consider giving something back to the foreigner? I doubt it, and yet Thais, in most other countries, get back what they put into society, and are normally more welcomed, more so than FARANG, into their respective new culture/society.

'FARANG',  are just a means for getting money plus status! In many cases.

It is only, and will always be, about money and greed.

• Like 2