Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

I did a calculation of what it cost me to live in Thailand for 4  months a year including a house I rent. Comfortably I can live on   14,000 Baht a month. Including going out a couple of times a week. The biggest expense is 8,000 Baht to rent a house. I have a bicycle to travel around on. So free travel. I buy good silk shirts from China because it is cheaper than Thailand. I don't see any need to throw money around as if to give an impression of being a Billionaire, because real Billionaires don,t throw it around. Afterall money is only a tool to acquire what you need to live on or achieve something you want within reason. QUESTION. Is there any need to have money to use it to show off?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

I did a calculation of what it cost me to live in Thailand for 4  months a year including a house I rent. Comfortably I can live on   14,000 Baht a month. Including going out a couple of times a week. The biggest expense is 8,000 Baht to rent a house. I have a bicycle to travel around on. So free travel. I buy good silk shirts from China because it is cheaper than Thailand. I don't see any need to throw money around as if to give an impression of being a Billionaire, because real Billionaires don,t throw it around. Afterall money is only a tool to acquire what you need to live on or achieve something you want within reason. QUESTION. Is there any need to have money to use it to show off?

RE -  QUESTION. Is there any need to have money to use it to show off?

Depends, if you as a person feel you need an extension of any kind then it is....:whistling:

On 8/5/2018 at 10:11 AM, Tradewind777 said:

You can rent a room in BKK for 3000baht and if you cannot live on 1000baht a day you need lessons in money management or pull your head in and live more modestly.

What if you have children at private school, car payments, mortgage, foreign holidays, pension payments, college abroad savings, Mia nous, etc?

On 8/7/2018 at 2:12 AM, JestSetter said:

Btw, many expats from the USA could go back to the USA if there was a medicare system. Even the Koch brothers' study indicates that money would be SAVED. Other research shows the same and peg the saving to up to 17 trillions over a decade. No matter what the amount of saving is many US citizens could go back and live comfortably in the USA. It is sad to see that so many voters are being lied to, but the lobbyists are very powerful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mseqVTXVbHs&feature=youtu.be And, of course, campaign contributions (from insurance companies and others) aren't bribes! Is giving campaign contributions bribing an elected official a crime?

i agree 100%, especially your reference to the medical system.  I am 61, perfect health, no smoker, nothing chronic, no existing conditions.  The cheapest MANDATORY or pay penalty medical insurance for me in Florida, single, male, crap bronze plan with a big deductible is 850/month!  I went direct with a big aerospace firm two years ago simply because the cost of medical was getting crazy.  Now, if I were to stop working, it would be expensive to get proper medical coverage between now and when I am 65 and eligible for medicare.  So I can keep working and put up with Office Space movie mentality or Dilbert type of decisions, or I can go hang out overseas very cost effectively.  I have about 60,000 USD in passive income from my simple dividends and interest investments.  Easy to live on $3,000 USD in Thailand and chill out.  If I stay in the states, paying $10,000 bucks a year for medical would be a huge pocket book hit.

13 hours ago, moontang said:

ERs in the US cant turn people away, unfortunately, but you might wish you were dead after battling their collectors....unless you have zero assets..then no worries.

well stated. Me the rule follower, always maintained coverage for 40 years except for one time when I had nothing.  The ER admitters were unbelievably aggressive.  "well can't some of your friends pay for you", "can't you get a relative to pay for you", etc.   Don't worry about the blood dripping from my forearms, we can mop that up later.

9 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The cheapest MANDATORY or pay penalty medical insurance for me in Florida, single, male, crap bronze plan with a big deductible is 850/month! 

Health insurance in the USA will no longer be mandatory effective in 2019. There won't be any penalty for not having it starting in a few months. Pay attention. Of course, it you need health care goods and services and you don't have cover there, then you're screwed. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Health insurance in the USA is no longer mandatory. There is no longer any penalty for not having it. Pay attention. Of course, it you need health care goods and services and you don't have cover there, then you're screwed. 

You are incorrect or at best in accurate.  In 2018 you are still subject to being fined if you do not have the mandated coverage.  In 2019, you will not be fined if you do not have the coverage.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

You are incorrect or at best in accurate.  In 2018 you are still subject to being fined if you do not have the mandated coverage.  In 2019, you will not be fined if you do not have the coverage.

Yes, I already corrected that before you replied. You're too fast. But it's only months from now when the mandate goes away. 

There is also this --

91,395 viewsFeb 16, 2017, 09:39am

IRS Softens On Obamacare Reporting Requirements After Trump Executive Order

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2017/02/16/irs-softens-on-obamacare-reporting-requirements-after-trump-executive-order/

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

Yes, I already corrected that before you replied. You're too fast. But it's only months from now when the mandate goes away. 

peace.  I happen to be up to speed on it since I am planning my exodus from the working world and taking my terminal vacation time just a few days into October so I will have > 10 months of coverage and won't be subject to any penalties. 

After 39 pages it remains: One can live on a budget in Thailand. It's the lack of health insurance or the lack of massive amounts of "self-insurance-money", that finally serves as the ultimate "party-pooper".
No problem for Farangs, that firmly believe that the older one gets, the healthier one gets.
Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swissie said:

After 39 pages it remains: One can live on a budget in Thailand. It's the lack of health insurance or the lack of massive amounts of "self-insurance-money", that finally serves as the ultimate "party-pooper".
No problem for Farangs, that firmly believe that the older one gets, the healthier one gets.
Cheers.

For those who work here, we can carry on with health care for $20 a month when we retire.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:38 PM, david555 said:

So seems your problem is solved by leaving ? …… 

You are wrong. I have too much going on in Thailand, that you will someday perhaps find out about, if you visit museums and art galleries. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

My taughts exactly, but you express yourself better !!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Living life to help others brings immeasurable joy. When I was a single man in Bangkok, over 20 years ago, I could survive easily on 30,000, but my life was very sad. Yes, I could fool myself by taking a trip down to Pat Pong and getting a woman to tell me how wonderful it was, bury in reality living alone is not what humans are supposed to do.

OK, now I need, 130,000, but my life is much much more full.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." As Janice Joplin said.

Been there, and don't like it.

We have all back up stories to glorify Our present situation - this is called the survival instinct…:whistling:

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

he really odd thing is no expat ever grew up from a small child thinking, "Gee, I am going to move to Thailand and live on 45,000 a month or less"

There is a reason this happened for many and a reason no one can predict what Thailand will be like 10 years from now?

Living on 45,000 baht may be great for now and maybe even for years from now, but then again, maybe not.

So what about 45,000 baht a week?

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Until I was 18 I didn't really think about money at all, my parents provided.

Then between 18 and 23, the state provided all the money I needed at university.

When I was working they paid me well, now my pension is also enough.

At the end of my life, all I need is an internet connection, a nice tv, and plenty of beer.

Could never understand all those people that spent their entire lives wanting more, I've always had enough.

Everyone who ends up as an expat in Thailand wanted something more in one way or another…:whistling:

Edited by ttrd
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, for me it is lots of sex, good food, a big HD TV with sports available and I am happy.

I have all these things so thank you very much I have a great life here.

I also require air conditioning.

45k a month is perfectly doable for Thais and foreigners, if you don't have too many debts or payments. If you are just reasonable rent, water, electricity and Internet/phone and bit of recreational entertainment then shouldn't be a problem. If you have no large monthly payments like mortgage, kids in school or car payment then should be fine...but if so, then you are not living within your means and your entitlement means nothing as you are stupid for taking out things you can't repay, live withing your means (however hard that is). Guess what everyone...the world doesn't owe you a living/existence because in reality you actually have to work for it. Facepalm! 

Edited by Sir Dude

• 3 weeks later...