Sterling drops on Brexit fears, trade tensions boost dollar

webfact

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

One week after Brexit, the GBP/Baht rates , were exactly the same

I'm afraid Brexit has not yet happened, but the latest Pound drop might have something to do with the real possibility of hard brexit. Nobody thought UK would be this stubborn to kill themselves to make a point.

Have a nice time watching rich people buying oranges, which ordinary people can't afford anymore. It'll be like in Soviet Union few decades ago. Such an funny place to visit, probably not as fun place to live. 

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I'm afraid Brexit has not yet happened, but the latest Pound drop might have something to do with the real possibility of hard brexit. Nobody thought UK would be this stubborn to kill themselves to make a point.

Have a nice time watching rich people buying oranges, which ordinary people can't afford anymore. It'll be like in Soviet Union few decades ago. Such an funny place to visit, probably not as fun place to live. 

The rich will not be effected by Brexit.

The very rich, following Rees-Mogg’s hedgefund advice to bet against the U.K. will make huge amounts of money out of Brexit.

And you are correct, ordinary people will pay the price. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Your post triggered a memory of a story by my mother. After WW11 people in the UK couldn't afford / access oranges, she was privileged to work for some test pilots who bought back oranges for her from overseas; progress eh?

22 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Your post triggered a memory of a story by my mother. After WW11 people in the UK couldn't afford / access oranges, she was privileged to work for some test pilots who bought back oranges for her from overseas; progress eh?

The life has not always been so easy as it is today.

It's kind of interesting that the, now old geezers, who were born after the wars and are the first generation of people who have not suffered any kind of real sufferin are now the loudest speakers for Brexit.

We often joke about Millennials being spoiled kids, but in reality it's the Baby Boomers, who are the real spoiled children, who got everything easy for them. 

Those same boomers are, for some reason, willing to kill their grandchildren possibilities in their lives. These now elderly Boomers, who got their oranges for their whole lives.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

I was in East Berlin and saw a lorry pull up in Alexanderplatz, the tailgate went down and it was full of bananas for sale. Corbyn would get nostalgic goosebumps if you told him that story. Doubt if it will come to that with Brexit but any big lurch down by sterling will push up inflation on imported goods. Maybe its time to revisit the old allotments. Maybe your mum can advise!

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

I was in East Berlin and saw a lorry pull up in Alexanderplatz, the tailgate went down and it was full of bananas for sale. Corbyn would get nostalgic goosebumps if you told him that story. Doubt if it will come to that with Brexit but any big lurch down by sterling will push up inflation on imported goods. Maybe its time to revisit the old allotments. Maybe your mum can advise!

Sure could! I remember the numerous allotments in North Finchley where we lived, about a 15 minute walk from our house, plus in our back garden had apple and pear trees and grew seasonal soft fruit. Time to step back from memory lane before the Mods step in☺️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Sure could! I remember the numerous allotments in North Finchley where we lived, about a 15 minute walk from our house, plus in our back garden had apple and pear trees and grew seasonal soft fruit. Time to step back from memory lane before the Mods step in☺️

The allotments have been cleared and the land used to build btl houses.

(Allotments where a fantastic development, destruction of them an act of obscene vandalism).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You believe Sterling/Baht will improve?

You might verywell be looking at the best rate you’ll see for the decade of hard times that even Brexiteers believe is a sacrifice worth making.*

* = A sacrifice Brexiteers don’t mind visiting on other people. ( Refer the ‘.... you Jack, I’m fireproof’ argument above).

Oh dear, 10 years of low XE because of Brexit. Not an issue really as wont be able to travel as according to the remainers all the airports and ferry ports will be shut down, not that could get to them anyway with all the rioting going on. Would probably be too hungry aslo due to food shortages and not to mention too sick as will be dying from a super gonnerehea disease

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Oh dear, 10 years of low XE because of Brexit. Not an issue really as wont be able to travel as according to the remainers all the airports and ferry ports will be shut down, not that could get to them anyway with all the rioting going on. Would probably be too hungry aslo due to food shortages and not to mention too sick as will be dying from a super gonnerehea disease

More project fear perhaps?

You forgot to mention that the NHS will have collapsed as there will not be enough people left to staff it.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

More project fear perhaps?

You forgot to mention that the NHS will have collapsed as there will not be enough people left to staff it.

Perhaps just let everything collapse. Then we can re-set the clock and start again with a clean sheet of paper.

I doubt that the establishment would be too keen on that.

35 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Perhaps just let everything collapse. Then we can re-set the clock and start again with a clean sheet of paper.

I doubt that the establishment would be too keen on that.

IMHO nobody really has ANY idea what will happen post Brexit which allows their fertile imaginations to work overtime to spew out anything that takes their fancy or fantasy come to that.

Everything will NOT collapse. It will either work worse than it is working now or it will be modified and work better than before.

The UK will not implode on itself nor at that point will the EU but the EU doesn't seem to want to change from its rigid rules though it may well have to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

That’s also a possibility.  I think we are pretty well prepared for a post-Brexit future where everything works well.  I think for people in the UK, the most important requirement is that we don’t prevent the import of essential goods and products. And for the EU, they need to find alternative markets.

In all logic, if the basis of trading between the UK and the EU works well now, it must be in everyone's best interests to maintain that basis.

If that basis is not maintained then obviously there is no rationale for a 'divorce' payment.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

In all logic, if the basis of trading between the UK and the EU works well now, it must be in everyone's best interests to maintain that basis.

If that basis is not maintained then obviously there is no rationale for a 'divorce' payment.

That you don’t understand the basis for the ‘divorce’ payment does not mean it has no basis, it simply means you don’t understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That you don’t understand the basis for the ‘divorce’ payment does not mean it has no basis, it simply means you don’t understand.

Indeed.

I only work on logic.

It has been a lifelong failing of mine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So the divorce payment does not include the EU's  “duty of good faith” to pursue an extensive trade agreement ?

I am not sure what point you were making - if any.

You don't have the faintest idea of what I don't understand.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

So the divorce payment does not include the EU's  “duty of good faith” to pursue an extensive trade agreement ?

I am not sure what point you were making - if any.

You don't have the faintest idea of what I don't understand.

You don't have the faintest idea of what I don't understand”

I know you don’t understand the ‘divorce’ payment.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The ‘divorce’ payment has been agreed, it will be paid regardless of whether the UK gets a trade deal or not.

Logic that.

You didn't answer my question.................I do hope that you are not suggesting that the Independent was lying...

On 8/11/2018 at 8:09 AM, SheungWan said:

I wouldn't be betting too much that sterling has bottomed out in the event of a disorderly exit.

Oh it might fall a little more but there is an optimal level.Despite its current problems the UK still has one of the largest economies in the World. 

• Like 1