Bangkok Will Have Two International Airports

george

BREAKING NEWS:

Bangkok will have two international airports

Bangkok will now have two international airports; Suvannabhumi and Don Muang, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Tuesday.

Considering the increasing number of passengers and demands, the Cabinet decided that Don Muang Airport, which was shut down in September after Suvannabhumi was openned, will be re-opened.

He was speaking after chairing the weekly cabinet meeting Tuesday.

"Considering the problems we have now at Suvannabhumi Airport and the number of passengers are increasing, the Cabinet decided that Don Muang Airport will be re-opened and Bangkok will have two international airports."

-- The Nation 2007-02-06

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cabinet approves 2 international airports for Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's government in its weekly cabinet meeting Tuesday agreed to reopen the former Don Muang airport for both domestic and international flights, making it an additional international airport to supplement the problem-plagued new Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont told reporters after the meeting that the cabinet resolution to let Bangkok have two international airports is to cater for growing number of passengers.

During this time Don Muang airport must be readied as another international airport, the prime minister said, without giving further detail.

The former facility was decommissioned as Bangkok's primary airport in September when Suvarnabhumi was opened. But cracks in the new airport's runways and taxiways prompted the Transport Ministry to recommend to reopen Don Muang airport temporarily for non-connecting domestic flights to ease the burden on the new airport.

Transport Minister Thira Haocharoen said the detailed plan to transfer some flights as well as moving facilities back to the old airport will be concluded within two weeks before presenting it for the cabinet's consideration.

Forty-five days after the cabinet's consideration, Don Muang airport is expected to resume operation, the minister said.

--TNA 2007-02-06

It's the first step toward... the closing of Suva...

I mean, last week it was still "moving some flights to DM, domestic non connecting, on a volunteer basis"...

And now, it's "both international, to scope with the increasing number of passengers"...

There is a flaw in the logic.

I believe that they will have to close, partially or totally Suva in order to proceed to massive repairs.

Thai Govt To Re-open Don Muang Airport

BANGKOK, Feb 6 (Bernama) -- The Thai Cabinet Tuesday approved the plan to have two international airports in the capital, paving way for the re-opening of the 93-year-old Don Muang which was closed last September with the opening of the US$3.7 billion Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said the decision was made due to the problem-ridden Suvarnabhumi Airport which needed massive repairs at its taxiways and runways, as well as leaking roof, in the terminal, lack of signboards and toilets, poor lighting and faulty air-conditioning.

"The number of passengers is also increasing at the Suvarnabhumi Airport. So we feel there is a need to have two international airports...we will make a final decision in two weeks' time," he told reporters after the Cabinet meeting today.

Transport Minister Admiral Thira Haocharoen said the airport could be used within 45 days after a final decision was made, adding that renovation works were going on to re-open the Don Muang Airport which used to be an airfield for the Royal Thai Army and opened in 1914.

He said the government would let airlines decide if they want to return to the Don Muang, operate from both airports or maintain their current base at the Suvarnabhumi.

The new spanking airport, which began full commercial operations on Sept 28 last year, had its west runway closed for repairs recently as several flights were diverted to the U-Tapao military airfield in Chon Buri for refuelling due to congestion here.

Situated about 25km east of Bangkok at Nong Ngu Hao, which means Cobra Swamp, the "Pride of Thailand", as its slogan says, is touted as being Southeast Asia's largest airport and the Thai government is banking on it to make Thailand the undisputed aviation hub of Asia.

The first phase of Suvarnabhumi is expected to handle three million tonnes of cargo and up to 45 million passengers, which is 15 million more than Don Muang.

The Airports of Thailand's (AOT) board approved in principle the reopening of the old airport following an outcry from low-cost airlines over the higher operating fees at the new airport.

The government had first suggested that domestic flights without international connections operate from Don Muang, but many airlines feared that lack of a transport link between the two airports could cause inconvenience for overseas-bound passengers flying in from the provinces.

The Don Muang served more than 80 airlines in 2004, with 160,000 flights and 700,000 tonnes of cargo and was the 14th busiest airport in the world by passenger volume.

- BERNAMA

cclub75 got it in one....Suwarnabhumi will in all probability be closed completely to effect repairs which could take years. In fact, it's probably cheaper to move the air force to Suwarnabhumi and expand Don Muang.

Edited by sibeymai

Doesn't the amount of tourists seem to be down to most of you guys? I have read that Phuket seems to be doing well, but from what I've seen, Pattaya seems a little light compared to recent years. kind of contradicts the passengers are increasing quote. I know, TIT.

I have read that Phuket seems to be doing well, but from what I've seen, Pattaya seems a little light compared to recent years. kind of contradicts the passengers are increasing quote. I know, TIT.
Let me assure you, Phuket is doing very well. Places like Karon and Patong are full and I mean it. Try to find seats for a group of 8 people in a restaurant in Karon between 1830 and 2030 hours, most likely you will fail.

"Considering the problems we have now at Suvannabhumi Airport and the number of passengers are increasing, the Cabinet decided that Don Muang Airport will be re-opened and Bangkok will have two international airports."

At least somebody who 'dares' to state some simple truths. I am involved in the tourism biz in Pattaya and I can tell you with gret certainty, that I reckon "incoming tourism" is down at least 50% as opposed to last year.

On the Suvarnabuhmi Airport; I reckon they should stop all incoming flights there a.sa.p., with the exception of ONE (1) flight . . . . . . . . yep; you guessed it; Toxin's fabulous return to his homeland; just have to make sure there are lots of devices; machines and heaps of soil on all the cracked runways . . . . . . . naaahhh; don;t feel sorry for the chap; they almost always find the black-box, don't they ? ? ? ? ? ?

:o

JK/Pattaya

Assuming that this isn't yet another governmental trial balloon regarding moving some flight operations back to Don Muang, I'd reckon that AirAsia will announce very soon that they will be moving their entire operation back to Don Muang.

Maybe just Pattaya is loosing. Was recently in Koh Lipe and it was complete full, no bed free, got from other tourists that koh tao is full and koh lanta. Just looking Pattaya or Phuket does not give an overview about the situation (but might even better than the official statistics).

2 airports for international use....This is what should have been done in the first place.

Apart from the benefits for incoming and outgoing tourists in better baggage handling, less time taken for processing etc...It would have given them time to sort out the teething problems and ensure that the new airport was viable before they were committed to full use.....

I suggest all European and Russian flights go to the new one and flights from the Asian pacific areas go to the old one.

I suggest all European and Russian flights go to the new one and flights from the Asian pacific areas go to the old one.

No mate, you guys have the new one.

No no, please.........!

redrus

No mate, you guys have the new one.

No no, please.........!

redrus

Nah bugger ya....my girl is in Saimai....70 baht from the old one and about 250 baht from the new one....I like my idea...

:o:D

In fact, it's probably cheaper to move the air force to Suwarnabhumi and expand Don Muang.

That's a great idea. This way AOT, the previous administration, officials involved with planning, approving, construction, etc., will lose less "face" by justifying the usefulness of Suvannaphumi. Besides the air force was ready to give up the airport at Don Muang for expantion even before Suvannaphumi was selected.

Of course most of us know the real reasons why we "needed" to build the new airport at the current site.

Yes Very funny. Of course it's a very bad idea. Surely when they would have planned this correctly, they would have one airport for both international and domestic flights But due to bad planning, they are now forced to re-open Don Muang, for what seems to be a prolonged period. And even for international flights as well.

I know there are many cities with multiple airports, but the original plan here was to have one airport. And for a city like Bangkok that was the only thing to do. Unfortunately they have made an utter mess of the place. Major loss of face already occured...

Is this just my mind playing trick on me or didnt I read that they specifically announced that this was not going to be discussed on Tuesdays session.. Made it 100% clear in statements issued before the meeting that because the proposal wasnt detailed enough this could not be tabled or discussed..

And then they decide.. Yet more about turning..

Lets hear what dates they think this is going to start from then and when to avoid BKK and transit Changi..

Edited by LivinLOS

Strongly agree with this.... :o

I only agree to 1/2 of this.... since I lived under the Russian occupied East Germany let the RUSSIAN

land in the gulf of Thailand............LOL

Isnt this all just a glaring example of the thai way

they see no shame in completely contradicting and lying to the media in braod daylight. numerous examples exist in the el press. In deed their own editorial standards are laughable. But a Thai man can never be wrong, so its ok to contradict.

One sees constant reminders of the utterly incompetent management mindset. How often do you see a piece of gibberish English copy (an advert, website, public notice etc) even from top companies, government agencies. Why is it never proof read by an educated English native, simply because its impossible to accept criticism or instruction from a FOREIGNER. Thais know best, always and flangs know nothing about Thais.

This is what is so desperately dissappointing, their refusal to learn from outside their little country even after 20 years of close mingling with the expat community (in the business sense). They have gone backwards rather than improve their abilities and are using foreign expertise less and less (or rather trying to steal knowledge has become more difficult)

sadly disillusioned

Maybe we should coin a new acronym for Thailand now - LOU, Land of U-turns :o

There was a report by some high ranking Thai architects recently in the BKK post in which the architect pointed out that

- The design for the airport was 20 years old and never revised. So Thailand ended up with a state-of-the-art facility - state of the art for 1987.

- The design had many built-in flaws such as:

-- All glass design makes it difficult to cool

-- The structural design makes it difficult to impossible to clean. The solution proposed by the original architects was an elaborate and expensive cleaning system. Worse, the cleaning system was never installed.

-- The finishing was done without any consideration for aesthetics

-- Many intrinsic flaws - lack of toilets, lack of storage space meaning carts and other airport equipment is just standing around in halls

-- No interior room for staff etc

-- Largest single terminal feels cramped and claustrophobic because of these faults

In architecture, anything can be fixed given time and money. But if you believe these architects you would basically have to shut down the airport completely, have an independent team of international architects come in, analyze all the problems, and develop solutions which are subsequently implemented. Sounded like a multi-year project.

The Thai architects suggested international help because there are no impartial / independent architects in Thailand.

The problem with Thailand is that they cannot and will not think before they act. They always have to find out later what mess they created. They presume, I guess, that immediate acting without thinking of the consequences is the same thing as being determined and having a strong will . . .

Isnt this all just a glaring example of the thai way

they see no shame in completely contradicting and lying to the media in braod daylight. numerous examples exist in the el press. In deed their own editorial standards are laughable. But a Thai man can never be wrong, so its ok to contradict.

One sees constant reminders of the utterly incompetent management mindset. How often do you see a piece of gibberish English copy (an advert, website, public notice etc) even from top companies, government agencies. Why is it never proof read by an educated English native, simply because its impossible to accept criticism or instruction from a FOREIGNER. Thais know best, always and flangs know nothing about Thais.

This is what is so desperately dissappointing, their refusal to learn from outside their little country even after 20 years of close mingling with the expat community (in the business sense). They have gone backwards rather than improve their abilities and are using foreign expertise less and less (or rather trying to steal knowledge has become more difficult)

sadly disillusioned

There is a Thai xenophobia thread here somewhere....

oh hang on...thats not the one you want is it. :D