Tennessee executes man for 1985 rape, murder of seven-year-old girl

webfact

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The death penalty is supposed to deter others from committing the same crime. 

The fact is, the statistics show it doesn’t work. 

Yes but theres one filthy piece of scum no one has to worry about, I am full agreement, this execution should have been done with a parrafin blow lamp slowley

18 minutes ago, Jingjock said:

Yes but theres one filthy piece of scum no one has to worry about, I am full agreement, this execution should have been done with a parrafin blow lamp slowley

I am not sure what that would achieve. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Hanging works every time! After all, all that is happening is the State taking revenge for the killing of a citizen! What's the problem? One would have to be crazy to honestly believe that the true reason for the death penalty is to serve to deter crime, it's obviously meant to clearly state the result of certain criminal actions!

Of course some members of PETA will have a problem with that but....who cares?   

10 hours ago, Jingjock said:

Yes but there's one filthy piece of scum no one has to worry about, I am full agreement, this execution should have been done with a paraffin blow lamp, slowly!

Sounds like a good idea!

10 hours ago, TPI said:

Hanging works every time! After all, all that is happening is the State taking revenge for the killing of a citizen! What's the problem? One would have to be crazy to honestly believe that the true reason for the death penalty is to serve to deter crime, it's obviously meant to clearly state the result of certain criminal actions!

Of course some members of PETA will have a problem with that but....who cares?   

"Hanging works every time!"

Unless, of course, the person was innocent....

I've no idea as to the proof or specifics in this particular case - but am against the death penalty because one innocent person killed by the state, is one too many - and unforgivable.

On 8/10/2018 at 6:46 PM, Bluespunk said:

The death penalty is supposed to deter others from committing the same crime. 

The fact is, the statistics show it doesn’t work. 

Could you share some of those statistics, including where they were published, so we can read about the methodology of sampling and form an informed opinion ?

Otherwise we are mixing up a "It is my conviction that ..... " discussion with a discussion about facts.

8 minutes ago, KKr said:

Could you share some of those statistics, including where they were published, so we can read about the methodology of sampling and form an informed opinion ?

Otherwise we are mixing up a "It is my conviction that ..... " discussion with a discussion about facts.

Just go onto google, you’ll find out all you need to know. 

Why on earth would you think I’d make up something like that in the digital age, where every claim is so easily checked?

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Why on earth would you think I’d make up something like that in the digital age, where every claim is so easily checked?

If people can not understand the simple fact that the death penalty is meant as a deterrent to others and not the person  who committed the crime since the crime has already being committed,how do you expect them to research the issue and understand the results? 

I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that people such as that, are a ball and chain on the leg of progress, and an indictment  on the concept of democracy where everyone's vote carries the same weight.

I know it is cynical and I don't know  what the solution is (perhaps more compulsory education) but after having being frustrated by ignorance for over 61 years I have come to the above unfortunate conclusion.

On the other hand , my frustration is mitigated by the fact that such people,  make a person of limited intelligence such as me  seem like an F'n  genius, so I guess there  is a silver lining to every cloud.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 3:26 PM, Bluespunk said:

of the about 100 posts I glanced over, I think 98 % was hearsay and opinions.
I did not find any unbiased research with a large enough sample size to draw conclusions.

this article is not bad: http://e-archives.ky.gov/pubs/Public_Adv/jan00/dppotter.html
however, seems to use the rate of recidivism as an indicator of deterrent effects and an argument to determine the deterrent effects of Capital Punishment. 
Moreover, the studies seem to focus on the empirical studies of behavior of convicted felons, and notice racial bias in convictions that further skews the results and hence the validity of the findings.
Furthermore, the sample size seems to be rather small and the article does not mention the control group.
Then, the various quoted studies come up with results that vary so widely that it can hardly be called scientific research.

Now, the result of the study is that recidivism is low.
That means that punishment is a deterrent, I think we can agree on that statement. 

What seems to be difficult to find is an unbiassed study of the population overall, how far people would go in case of extreme circumstances: 
With peer encouragement; peer approval; without punishment; with punishment; with prison threat; with Death penalty threat.

When someone in our Institute did research on a very limited basis, before the computer age, he found that test population would inflict severe suffering  to unknown people when encouraged and rewarded (X amount of money for completing the test).  
Frightening indications.
Luckily, he also found that, when not encouraged or rewarded or even punished (no amount because test not complete), test subjects would not inflict the suffering and some even would walk out..  
( I do not know how that research further evolved, I decided that profession was not for me.. )

Amongst other considerations that leads me to believe that a punishment will deter someone from committing a crime, subject to that person being in an environment that does not condone the behavior, i.e. a "normal" society.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KKr said:

of the about 100 posts I glanced over, I think 98 % was hearsay and opinions.
I did not find any unbiased research with a large enough sample size to draw conclusions.

this article is not bad: http://e-archives.ky.gov/pubs/Public_Adv/jan00/dppotter.html
however, seems to use the rate of recidivism as an indicator of deterrent effects and an argument to determine the deterrent effects of Capital Punishment. 
Moreover, the studies seem to focus on the empirical studies of behavior of convicted felons, and notice racial bias in convictions that further skews the results and hence the validity of the findings.
Furthermore, the sample size seems to be rather small and the article does not mention the control group.
Then, the various quoted studies come up with results that vary so widely that it can hardly be called scientific research.

Now, the result of the study is that recidivism is low.
That means that punishment is a deterrent, I think we can agree on that statement. 

What seems to be difficult to find is an unbiassed study of the population overall, how far people would go in case of extreme circumstances: 
With peer encouragement; peer approval; without punishment; with punishment; with prison threat; with Death penalty threat.

When someone in our Institute did research on a very limited basis, before the computer age, he found that test population would inflict severe suffering  to unknown people when encouraged and rewarded (X amount of money for completing the test).  
Frightening indications.
Luckily, he also found that, when not encouraged or rewarded or even punished (no amount because test not complete), test subjects would not inflict the suffering and some even would walk out..  
( I do not know how that research further evolved, I decided that profession was not for me.. )

Amongst other considerations that leads me to believe that a punishment will deter someone from committing a crime, subject to that person being in an environment that does not condone the behavior, i.e. a "normal" society.

All I can say is the studies show that the death penalty does no more to deter crime than gaol does. 

It is wrong to say it is a deterrent to crime. 

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Keeping them in jail for life doesn't work as a deterrent either.

Can you suggest a viable alternative?

No. 

I’ll leave that to the sociologists. 

However, I do not believe that the state should kill its own citizens. 

The fact that the death penalty doesn’t work as a deterrent only reinforces this belief. 

I believe in punishment, but not revenge. 

35 minutes ago, KKr said:

it was not a question. it was an interjection like: 
whatever, apparently not willing or able to discuss.

I know. 

Mine was sarcasm 

The findings speak for themselves. 

Despite what you want to think, the statistics prove the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime. 

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I know. 

Mine was sarcasm 

The findings speak for themselves. 

Despite what you want to think, the statistics prove the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime. 

now the circle is round, and we are back to the beginning of this exchange of words.
What Statistics are you referring to? 
I could not find reliable sources as I demonstrated by taking a Government hearing as example..

8 minutes ago, KKr said:

now the circle is round, and we are back to the beginning of this exchange of words.
What Statistics are you referring to? 
I could not find reliable sources as I demonstrated by taking a Government hearing as example..

As we are back at start, just go back and read my response.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:18 PM, Bluespunk said:

While feeling no sympathy for this filth, the death penalty does not work as a deterrent. 

You MIGHT be right.

I wonder if life without parole (and, in real harsh conditions) is more of a deterrent.

1 minute ago, JemJem said:

You MIGHT be right.

I wonder if life without parole (and, in real harsh conditions) is more of a deterrent.

There is no evidence the death penalty acts as a deterrent. 

This just further supports my belief that the state should not kill its citizens. 

I believe in punishment not revenge.

26 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

As we are back at start, just go back and read my response.

since you did not respond to my posts with constructive comments, but only with a repetition of your believes and a repeated reference to vague hearsay, I think I will stop this exchange.
Good Luck.

Just now, KKr said:

since you did not respond to my posts with constructive comments, but only with a repetition of your believes and a repeated reference to vague hearsay, I think I will stop this exchange.
Good Luck.

It’s not vague hearsay. 

There is no evidence the death penalty deters crime. 

• Haha 1

The death penalty certainly stops someone from committing a second, third or fourth crime. I heard a long time ago that 60% of all crime is committed by repeat offenders. Maybe it is true, maybe it is not but I for one am certainly in favor of the death penalty. As far as I am concerned Government do not kill a criminal, they enforce justice. I do not see why someone who has raped a 7year old should be alive, and why as a taxpayer I am forced to feed and cloth this scum.!!!

• Like 1