Any legal issues running an older car in Thailand?

simon43

I just want to understand some of the legal (paperwork) issues with running an older car in Thailand.

I understand that once it's 7 years old, it needs an MOT test each year in order to obtain the tax disc.

Is there a limit to how old the car can legally be used on the roads in Thailand, so long as it passes it's MOT test, has a current tax disc and the driver is insured?

What is the legal position about bodywork changes, add-ons, changes to colour etc?  Can these be 'legalised' on the car documents?

• Haha 1

However, older vehicles cannot get 1st class insurance

I've heard that to be the case, but it is not completely true.  I tried out the new Thaivisa insurance comparison service for a 20-year old car and 1st class insurance.  2 companies were happy to quote! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

What is the legal position about bodywork changes, add-ons, changes to colour etc?  Can these be 'legalised' on the car documents?

From another thread good info from " kookarora " or somic like that.

Summary of modifications required And do not ask for permission.
1. "must notify" request to the Registrar before: 
  • Engine replacement
  • change color
  • Install a roof frame or steel frame on the side of the car.
  • The rear cover is equipped with a load-bearing device.
  • Change fuel type
  • Modify car body
  • Weight system
  • Suspension
  • Steering system
  • Drive system
2. "Not to notify" request for permission to the Registrar.
  • Roof rack
  • Roll Bar 
  • Ladder up - down the cabin. 
  • Spoiler 
  • Mack Liner 
  • bumper 
  • Bicycle Accessories

I've run a 1981 Pug 505 for more than 20 years, have it well (preventative - habit - I'm a pilot) serviced by a Pug enthusiast, keep it comprehensively insured, recently had it effectively restored (inside and out) and fairly often drive to Singapore. Runs like a clock. Never a problem. ('Cept in S'pore where it attracts small crowds of [other] oldies who also appreciate old cars) 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, stubuzz said:

No age limit: However, older vehicles cannot get 1st class insurance.

Agree no age limit, our second car is 18 years old, kept in good condition, passes the test every time.

It's got full comprehensive insurance. the company sends their technical guy to inspect all vehicles regardless of age,  before renewal. And he does check and he knows what to check.

But I have that heard some insurance. companies won't give full comprehensive after the 7 year period. The company we use is a little more expensive but excellent quick service if needed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

I've heard that to be the case, but it is not completely true.  I tried out the new Thaivisa insurance comparison service for a 20-year old car and 1st class insurance.  2 companies were happy to quote! 

Happy to quote but will they be "Happy to pay up".

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If a company insures with first class insurance on an old ride it will have an agreed value payout, which will include possible repairs to it. So it may well get written off if damaged, but all other stuff will be taken care of within quoted limits..

Strange how different countries policy are towards changes. For example color change, custom rims. Two I know of personally. Thailand - guy has ford truck with vinyl wrap what supposed to look like (don’t know how it’s properly called) mud splattered on the sides. He went for yearly register and was denied because the decals changed the color to much. 

A freind n China had car vinyl wrapped in flat black and customs rims. He went to renew registration and heavily fined and required to put car back to original color and put back on original rims ( which he sold)

seems a a bit overboard ..... and no adaptions to change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DJ54 said:

Strange how different countries policy are towards changes. For example color change, custom rims. Two I know of personally. Thailand - guy has ford truck with vinyl wrap what supposed to look like (don’t know how it’s properly called) mud splattered on the sides. He went for yearly register and was denied because the decals changed the color to much. 

A freind n China had car vinyl wrapped in flat black and customs rims. He went to renew registration and heavily fined and required to put car back to original color and put back on original rims ( which he sold)

seems a a bit overboard ..... and no adaptions to change. 

Yep it is daft.....In the UK, where road laws are tough, you can do what ever you want to a ride as long as you can insure it. The only thing you must tell them is colour and engine cc change, but even that wasn't a big issue with the law. Perhaps things there have now changed, l don't know..

My friend has a 1971 Vauxhall Ferenza 1500cc, but it now has a 6300cc engine, no ploblem..:stoner:

• Like 1

I have a 2004 Ford ranger space cab and a 2003 Honda civic, both insured for 300,000 baht, Platinum insurance policy. I pay 9000 for the ford and 8800 for the civic. no inspection when renewed. Both inspected annually, In Surin. The inspection is a bloody joke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunAussie52 said:

I have a 2004 Ford ranger space cab and a 2003 Honda civic, both insured for 300,000 baht, Platinum insurance policy. I pay 9000 for the ford and 8800 for the civic. no inspection when renewed. Both inspected annually, In Surin. The inspection is a bloody joke.

A guy I knew in the UK had a 1941 Wyllis with a super charged Hemi engine. He emigrated to Australia shipping his pride and joy there. Was told he could not use it on the roads..?

11 minutes ago, KhunAussie52 said:

2003 Honda civic, both insured for 300,000 baht, Platinum insurance policy. I pay 9000 for the ford and 8800 for the civic.

Is that 1st Class and if so which company please - sorry don't know what Platinum refers to?

1 hour ago, transam said:

A guy I knew in the UK had a 1941 Wyllis with a super charged Hemi engine. He emigrated to Australia shipping his pride and joy there. Was told he could not use it on the roads..?

Depending on the Australian state, the Wyllis may be able to be registered but it would be a lot of work.  Major mods like that require Engineering approval from a list or approved engineers.  

18 minutes ago, Jitar said:

Depending on the Australian state, the Wyllis may be able to be registered but it would be a lot of work.  Major mods like that require Engineering approval from a list or approved engineers.  

And ground clearance....?

On 8/10/2018 at 7:02 AM, stubuzz said:

No age limit: However, older vehicles cannot get 1st class insurance.

I however could, on an almost 11-year old used Chrysler Cherokee Jeep by just renewing the existing 1st class insurance and move it to my name, and it got cheaper and cheaper every year – or was it every second year – as I didn't have any accidents or damage; I had that insurance renewed 8 times (total paid 9-years)...?

17 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

1. Class Insurance for old Cars depends your damage reports in the past. If you had some; forget it. Insurance Companys  communicate with each other in Thailand. So, if one disagree, all will reject a request.

"So, if one disagree, all will reject a request."

Not true.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, transam said:

My friend has a 1971 Vauxhall Ferenza 1500cc, but it now has a 6300cc engine, no ploblem..:stoner:

Was that a previous model to the Vauxhall Firenza that came with a 1600cc engine along with the 1200cc, 1300cc, 1800cc, 2000cc and 2300cc but not a 1500cc?

Edited by Just Weird

11 hours ago, transam said:

Aussie authorities probably didn't recognise the name "Wyllis" as there never was a vehicle called that.  If he told them he wanted to register a Willys he may have got further with it.

31 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Was the engine in your friend's "Ferenza" from a Ford "Cartina" or "Siarra" perhaps?  Just curious. 

Nooo,  was jesting, think it had the 1598cc, could even have been smaller..But the 6300cc really did improve the 0-60 times....

The early Cortina did have a 1500cc option which was replaced with a better 1600cc cross flow engine, the Sierra never had a 1500cc, it had many engine options though..

24 minutes ago, transam said:

Nooo,  was jesting, think it had the 1598cc, could even have been smaller..But the 6300cc really did improve the 0-60 times....

The early Cortina did have a 1500cc option which was replaced with a better 1600cc cross flow engine, the Sierra never had a 1500cc, it had many engine options though..

"...the Sierra never had a 1500cc..."

I know, that's why I suggested it's engine could have been used after you changed your mind to your mate's not being 1500cc.