Smell before you buy chicken fillets at the supermarket

davidst01

I was caught out a few weeks ago shopping at Robinsons supermarket. We purchased some (uncooked) chicken drumsticks and after opening them up at home they were rotten. The smell was disgusting.

Last night I smelt a packet from the same shelf as last time. Of course they smelt rotten again. 

I think its important to do a smell test before buying any fresh meats or poultry. Clearly some idiot is not doing their job. Amazing thailand.

• Like 2

Thanks, will keep that in mind. 

Wife stopped buying chicken and pork at Makro and the local/open air market in favor of Tesco, at least in the area where we live. 

I can't even look at the (fresh) Thai beef in Makro anymore.  A mix of dark red and gray/greenish tint to it.  Ugh. 

I think most Thais would not allow to throw anything in the bin.

If its my ex she will wash and then soak the chicken in a solution of water salt and vinegars.

It is ok as long as you cook a long time above the temperature needed to kill bacteria.

Thais love to add MSG and deep fry for long time in Palm oil, so i think thats why they will sell like this.

but if it is green, yes to far gone, will still taste crappy, only thing you can do is marinate in embalming fluid!

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

She says the quality is better and she can tell, straight away if the meat is not fresh because there is no packaging to disguise it.

All that the old, blue beef needs is a quick puff of O2 and it's all bright blood-red and fresh again.

Yesterday in Tesco Lamai I saw a few, 6 or 7, frozen food packages at a sale price for 25 Baht, just put on a table next to the eggs shelve, I took one not sure I understood properly, it was not frozen any more of course but still very cold...Help 

IF you dont go back WITH the meat and dont complain with the manager, surely nothing will change.

Was there an expiration date on the package? 

If necessary go all the way to the top of the company, specially foreign company as Makro. Make yourself heard !

In Thailand they think very easy about food, displaying and most of all cooling !!

Once i walked in the Makro in Phuket at the meat section and i was thinking <deleted>, the same in supercheap. But we did 

buy at supercheap, i selected pieces meat and i didnt get sick then. But guess lucky.

Also weird, not only in Thailand, the women shopping in markets, always need to touch the food?! No matter what like shrimp or other fish or even the meat. They can rinse there fingers in a bowl AFTER touching the food !!

However im still alive.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Had the same problem at Makro this week. The entire meat dept. reaked. I told my wife not to but anything, but she bought chicken that did not smell right to me. Needless to say I refused to eat it...

Right. Here in Thailand if food either bought in cafes, restaurants or home cooked by the wife does not smell, look or taste quite right, then I won`t eat it.

My wife believes if food is still within it`s sell by date, that it must be OK. I explained no it doesn`t, it`s how the food is stored that matters. I have seen frozen packets of food in supermarkets that although within sell by dates were manufactured 6 months previous having been in the store for 6 months. Again I won`t buy the stuff. 

• Like 1

Right. Here in Thailand if food either bought in cafes, restaurants or home cooked by the wife does not smell, look or taste quite right, then I won`t eat it.

My wife believes if food is still within it`s sell by date, that it must be OK. I explained no it doesn`t, it`s how the food is stored that matters. I have seen frozen packets of food in supermarkets that although within sell by dates were manufactured 6 months previous having been in the store for 6 months. Again I won`t buy the stuff. 

Yes, unfortunately my gf is of the same mind, especially with milk, when I suspect it’s going off i ask to have a sniff and she usually just looks at the sell by date !!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dddave said:

I stopped buying fresh chicken parts at Big-C and Tesco because often I could detect a strong bleach smell and also because sometimes a very short shelf life.

A Macro food store has recently opened nearby and I've been buying chicken there the last few months...so far, so good.

I hate the way Makro displays meat. I want packs like BigC or Lotus. At Makro I feel like I am at a slaughterhouse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I know it would horrify many readers, but my wife prefers to buy all our meat products from local markets, where there isn't a chiller in sight.

The only exception to that is when she buys meat from Thai/French beef outlets which is local to us near Sakon Nakhon.

She says the quality is better and she can tell, straight away if the meat is not fresh because there is no packaging to disguise it.

And I have to say that 4 years in and I have not had a single gastronomical upset thus far.

I agree with your wife. And because of the lack of refrigeration, these meats cannot "hang around" for days on end. So they tend to properly manage the stocks to exhaust them quickly. There are, of course, better and worse local markets, so you need to become familiar with them. The large chains, on the other hand, are managing long delivery pipes, and the products tend to be in those pipes much longer, and will remain in the stores much longer. Personally, I will only buy meats from Tops, or local markets. Regardless of the source, here in Thailand, you must be sure to cook well enough to destroy all bacteria, since it is very likely the meat will contain them in quantity.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

bought a bag of fresh parsnips in my local tesco ( near norwich, UK ) 3 days ago, opened them straight away  slimy and rank   shame on the manager of that store 

We'd better keep an eye out for pre-packed rotten parsnips in Tesco stores here in Thailand then, thanks for the heads up.  Geez...

9 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Had the same problem at Makro this week. The entire meat dept. reaked. I told my wife not to but anything, but she bought chicken that did not smell right to me. Needless to say I refused to eat it...

The Makro meat department smells awful at every branch I have ever been. Wouldn't even get meat from there if I get it for free,

But last week the Makro on Nua road pattaya had a promotion of coconut water at 75 baht for 3 1 liter bottles, down from 215 Baht.

As I frequently buy this kind of item I purchased 6 packs.

Expiry date is 25 November 2018 .

All of them spoiled, with the water having a brown color.

I threw away the receipt so will not be worth going back.

They clearly knew what they were selling. Went in there on Friday and noticed that brand was not available any more.

• Like 2